Everything's Great - An anti-whinge Part 1

I bet if there was a ''what makes you angry'' thread there would be zero derailing. 

Humans....

I'd derail it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Rebel.

ms.gif

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Okay but how has the anti-terrorism laws in Oz effected you personally?

Should I only care about the curbing of civil liberties once they have directly effected me?

I still remember those government paid posters being everywhere, railroad stations, bus stops etc. encouraging people to watch each other carefully and report any unusual behavior. Yes, that was in Australia.

Wait, what?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Last few pages reminded me of something one of my friends posted on Facebook or Myspace or something

http://imgur.com/gallery/h82vC

Clearly Paula should have chosen a better school, let her father die alone, and avoided debt. That's how these things work right?

• Like 1

Last few pages reminded me of something one of my friends posted on Facebook or Myspace or something

Which one are you ? Richard or Paula...maybe a combinatation, most of us are a combination 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Clearly Paula should have chosen a better school, let her father die alone, and avoided debt. That's how these things work right?

Almost. She should quit whining, find a rich hunk husband, have lots of kids and never worry about money ever again.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Read something in the comments there that I thought was interesting:

"A study was done where some people started with more money than others in Monopoly, and upon winning they claimed it was because of skill."

But TN we don't want this discussion to get to the point where its now a bad thing to have supportive parents who happen to have money to help there kids  :geek:

A person still needs to work hard to achieve a certain quality of life, your parents can generally only help you so far?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

...?

Well you read the cartoon I'm sure

The basic message is Richard had supportive parents who had some money and Paula didn't. The result  being at the end Richard implies that he had no handouts and his success is all his own work...well Paula suffers

I'm saying financial success is a combination of things and just because your parents help you it doesn't mean you will necessarily succeed. And conversely just because your parents are unable to support you it doesn't mean you will end up as Paula

The method and process of economic success is more nuanced than that 

John Milton 

1: I wasn't talking about the cartoon but a comment on that page, so why is this directed at me?

2: That is not what the basic message of that cartoon is at all. It doesn't make any claims of applying to everyone nor does it make a value judgement. It's only a hypothetical demonstration of how privelege can be invisible to people who benefit from it, not that there's no wiggle room for people with privelege to fail or people without it to succeed. You're the one that took the room for nuance out of it with your rigid and unfair reading of it. To be fair, you do seem like the type that got some extra starting money for your game of monopoly so that makes sense. ;)

• Like 1

Wait, what?

No kidding. Watch out for unusual or suspicious behaviour, call this phone no. if in doubt kind of stuff.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1: I wasn't talking about the cartoon but a comment on that page, so why is this directed at me?

2: That is not what the basic message of that cartoon is at all. It doesn't make any claims of applying to everyone nor does it make a value judgement. It's only a hypothetical demonstration of how privelege can be invisible to people who benefit from it, not that there's no wiggle room for people with privelege to fail or people without it to succeed. You're the one that took the room for nuance out of it with your rigid and unfair reading of it. To be fair, you do seem like the type that got some extra starting money for your game of monopoly so that makes sense. ;)

Okay my bad

Since the cartoon is the making the same point you are making which is basically "  people seem to ignore the fact the fact they have had help from parents or other means and this is reason they have succeeded "  ..this is the same thing as the monopoly point which is "  people ignore the fact they started the game with extra money and claim it is all skill that is the reason they won "

Its the same principle so I assumed you were referring to the cartoon

And yes I did get "extra money"  in my life....if your parents paying for your education is considered " extra money" but everything I did around my career is what I did on my own :) 

John Milton 

Tumblr has turned privelege into a dirty word, I feel. It's not bad to have privelege, it's just important to be aware of it. The monopoly thing demonstrates that a lot of succesful people might not be aware of how lucky they are (I don't know if that study is actually real, however, it was just an internet comment after all).

• Like 1

Tumblr has turned privelege into a dirty word, I feel. It's not bad to have privelege, it's just important to be aware of it. The monopoly thing demonstrates that a lot of succesful people might not be aware of how lucky they are (I don't know if that study is actually real, however, it was just an internet comment after all).

You right, I don't see all cases of privilege as a bad thing as long as people are aware of it

And yes I get the whole monopoly metaphor. Its valid in some cases, I just want  to avoid generalizations about how or why people became successful because in my own country there is this constant vitriol and admonishment , from some people, towards anyone who has a certain perceived level of wealth...and it gets frustrating because those same people just don't understand basic economics and how people can uplift themselves...you cant do it by taking illegally from people who have achieved it through hard work and diligence :) 

John Milton 

What it boils down to, is that there are more factors to "being succesful at life" than just working hard. There are many other factors at work such as social class, your basic health, the way you look and what kind of talents and personality traits you happen to have been born with. Now, no one is saying that you should feel ashamed for having been born upper class, having good looks, having certain talents or having perfect health. And no one is saying that if you have certain obstacles in your life that you can't still succeed at life, and that it is any excuse to sit on your bum and to do nothing but whinge about it. What the comic is saying, to me anyway, is that rather than looking at others and condemning them sometimes you should instead count your own blessings, and consider that other people who might not be doing so well as you are might actually still be trying very hard, but might not have had all the opportunities you had.

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Ah, I see what you're trying to say. If it doesn't happen to Barothmuk, it's not happening, right? I'm sure it has nothing to do with someone giving you precise answers to the questions you were asking for. How are you enjoying your cognitive dissonance?

And forget about fish prices, that's just a footnote. Focus on everything else I said, like increased cancer risk, legal discrimination on a gender basis and fines and prison sentences for protesting illegally. Oh, but I haven't caught cancer yet (that I know of) and I'm obviously not posting from jail so everything's really OK and I'm just moping right?

No, not at all. But nice jumping to conclusions. I can see you're doing that quite a bit. How are you enjoying your cognitive dissonance?

Here's a thought, why not do something good about your life, change your life around instead of going off on tangents about society in general? Sounds like you've got some serious issues. Maybe a therapist will do you good.

I have already answered the question. i.e. my response was to Bruce's question "what problems still exist in the world?".

It's time to calm down man. You've got too much negativity.

No man. You're just being evasive. I asked you some questions which were different from Bruce's questions. It's okay Barothmuk that you don't want to answer my questions. Just say so instead of dodging and weaving.

And no negativity here. Sounds like you're the one who's negative. I'm all positive. :)

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

No, not at all. But nice jumping to conclusions. I can see you're doing that quite a bit. How are you enjoying your cognitive dissonance?

Here's a thought, why not do something good about your life, change your life around instead of going off on tangents about society in general? Sounds like you've got some serious issues. Maybe a therapist will do you good.

>Hiro asks questions about how issues are affecting other people

>Someone answers those questions giving specific examples explaining how vague societal problems cause real problems

>Hiro ignores the answers and goes full spastic

But I needed a financial advisor earlier, and now I need a therapist. Tell you what, let's make a deal. I'll get both if you go back and finish elementary school, so you get some basic reading comprehension and reasoning skills. Deal?

What it boils down to, is that there are more factors to "being succesful at life" than just working hard. There are many other factors at work such as social class, your basic health, the way you look and what kind of talents and personality traits you happen to have been born with. Now, no one is saying that you should feel ashamed for having been born upper class, having good looks, having certain talents or having perfect health. And no one is saying that if you have certain obstacles in your life that you can't still succeed at life, and that it is any excuse to sit on your bum and to do nothing but whinge about it. What the comic is saying, to me anyway, is that rather than looking at others and condemning them sometimes you should instead count your own blessings, and consider that other people who might not be doing so well as you are might actually still be trying very hard, but might not have had all the opportunities you had.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12110-014-9219-y

Social status is more strongly inherited even than height. This correlation is unchanged over centuries. Social mobility in England in 2012 was little greater than in preindustrial times. Thus there are indications of an underlying social physics surprisingly immune to government intervention.

That was posted a while ago in these boards. I'll let you guess by whom.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

>Hiro asks questions about how issues are affecting other people

>Someone answers those questions giving specific examples explaining how vague societal problems cause real problems

>Hiro ignores the answers and goes full spastic

But I needed a financial advisor earlier, and now I need a therapist. Tell you what, let's make a deal. I'll get both if you go back and finish elementary school, so you get some basic reading comprehension and reasoning skills. Deal? 

Ah yes. Seems I hit a nerve with you. Maybe what I'm posting is hitting close to home? Possibly even shades of the green eyed monster because other people are reasonably happy and doing well with their lives. How about actually quoting me and keeping it in context instead of making stuff up? And no, Barothmuk never answered my questions. Never go full retard 213374U, never go full retard.

And that's what this thread was supposed to be about. Something positive that people could relate to. Someone like Guard Dog seems to be doing well with his life. He comes across as someone with an indomitable will to succeed regardless of what life throws at him. I applaud him for his strength to continue despite the odds. He's had his ups and downs and seems to be at a stage where 'everything's great' for him. And what I mean by that is even if you have problems in your life and everyone does, overall, life is pretty good for a lot of people. Yes, life is also crap for a lot of people too. But this was meant to be a thread for those who are enjoying life, at a stage in their life where things a good and focusing on the positive things in their lives. Hence the thread title.

But please continue to go on your crusade of negativity. Don't let me stop you.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

And yes I did get "extra money"  in my life....if your parents paying for your education is considered " extra money" but everything I did around my career is what I did on my own :)

Heh, yes, that is a huge leg up.  I worked my way through college and I'm still paying off one of my loans for tuition (10 years into my career.)  I'm extremely thankful that my parents were able to help out with part of it.  I would be struggling under even more debt without that.