Everything's Great - An anti-whinge Part 1

In spite of KP negativity let me add my $.02:

1. I own my own house and land outright, no mortgage
  2. I'm fit and healthy, not just for my age but period
  3. I have a pretty and intelligent wife who I adore
  4. My dogs are healthy and happy
  5. I have money in the bank and a healthy investment portfolio and worked hard for both
  6. I have a secure job that I enjoy doing
  7. I just grew the biggest strawberries I've ever seen in my garden
  8. The Tampa Bay Rays are in first place in the AL East
  9. I have good whiskey on the counter and cold beer in the refrigerator.

My friends, I have no problems. But is hasn't always been so. In my life I've been:

1. Dead broke (more than once)
  2. Homeless (sort of, I was staying with a former co-worker)
  3. I've started four businesses that failed utterly
  4. Unemployed a few times
  5. Divorced

The important thing is not the bad stuff that happens to you in life. The important thing is what you do about them. In a country like the US being poor is just bad luck. Staying that way is a choice.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Man, KP was serious when he wanted to crash this thread with no survivors (Red Pandas are the best though).

I'm not a hothead.

There have been many successful prevention's of terrorist attacks since 9/11, you just don't hear about all of them. So don't think that all the CIA and NSA initiatives are about that one incident. Its much more complex and effective than that

"We can't tell you what we've been doing and won't show you, but trust us it's all ok."

Also remember that this war against  terrorism is also fought on the Internet. So whether you like it or not all countries involved in this war have to implement measures that allow them to monitor the flow of  electronic data. This is not an attack on the civil rights of citizens but its just the reality of the interconnected world we live in and how extremist groups use the Internet to plan and formulate strategies. You could argue that a system like Prism is going too far and I understand that but I would argue " can a government ever go too when trying to keep its citizens safe "

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. I don't care how you try to dress up invasion of privacy, it's still a violation of rights and morally wrong.

So you really need to see the reasonable reasons for this increased monitoring...it makes sense under the circumstances

No it doesn't. 1984 wasn't an instruction manual Bruce.

- Poverty- We are richer than we ever have been. Cheer up!

Real wages have stagnated since the 70's, with real wealth for the poorest declining.

Wealth for the poor is not declining; it's improving. While wages have stagnated, the cost of living and of luxuries have been lowering. 

Just about everyone is getting wealthier; just some are getting wealthier much faster than others.

Huh? Most data I've seen seems to contradict that. Especially considering that real prices of gas have ballooned to ridiculous amounts, taking a much larger chunk of spending than previously. Granted Videogames and streaming have gone down in price, but printed works(especially comics, but no one pays for that) and cable seem to have risen faster than inflation.

Only thing a quick search could turn up: http://gabriel-zucman.eu/files/SaezZucman2014.pdf

If you have some data I'd like to see it.

KP I'm clearly not explaining my point properly because you don't seem to get it

So firstly yes, there are some things you just need to trust us on

But this is not a pig, this is an adoption of a strategy. The same methodology that is used to track the communication of extremists can also theoretically be used to spy on people ...but that is not its intention. So you are right about its potential use but wrong around the practical use of it. Big difference

You're explaining your point fine Bruce, your point is just wrong.

I have to say what never ceases to amaze me about these forums   is the lack of support from our American friends towards these types of initiatives ...like Prism

Its designed to protect you and your families yet you only see the negative and criticize it....it boggles my mind  :wowey:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5. I have money in the bank and a healthy investment portfolio and worked hard for both

My friends, I have no problems. But is hasn't always been so. In my life I've been:

5. Divorced

The important thing is not the bad stuff that happens to you in life. The important thing is what you do about them. In a country like the US being poor is just bad luck. Staying that way is a choice.

GD thank you for being honest...your view is important because some  people won't believe it if I say it..things are actually rather good  :)

But GD now I have to remind you about something..and I know you will  be honest 

When Obama was reelected a second time you became unusually depressed and said this was the beginning of the end and we should all invest in gold :)

How do you now feel about that perspective? 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Man, KP was serious when he wanted to crash this thread with no survivors (Red Pandas are the best though).

I'm not a hothead.

There have been many successful prevention's of terrorist attacks since 9/11, you just don't hear about all of them. So don't think that all the CIA and NSA initiatives are about that one incident. Its much more complex and effective than that

"We can't tell you what we've been doing and won't show you, but trust us it's all ok."

Also remember that this war against  terrorism is also fought on the Internet. So whether you like it or not all countries involved in this war have to implement measures that allow them to monitor the flow of  electronic data. This is not an attack on the civil rights of citizens but its just the reality of the interconnected world we live in and how extremist groups use the Internet to plan and formulate strategies. You could argue that a system like Prism is going too far and I understand that but I would argue " can a government ever go too when trying to keep its citizens safe "

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. I don't care how you try to dress up invasion of privacy, it's still a violation of rights and morally wrong.

So you really need to see the reasonable reasons for this increased monitoring...it makes sense under the circumstances

No it doesn't. 1984 wasn't an instruction manual Bruce.

- Poverty- We are richer than we ever have been. Cheer up!

Real wages have stagnated since the 70's, with real wealth for the poorest declining.

Wealth for the poor is not declining; it's improving. While wages have stagnated, the cost of living and of luxuries have been lowering. 

Just about everyone is getting wealthier; just some are getting wealthier much faster than others.

Huh? Most data I've seen seems to contradict that. Especially considering that real prices of gas have ballooned to ridiculous amounts, taking a much larger chunk of spending than previously. Granted Videogames and streaming have gone down in price, but printed works(especially comics, but no one pays for that) and cable seem to have risen faster than inflation.

Only thing a quick search could turn up: http://gabriel-zucman.eu/files/SaezZucman2014.pdf

KP I'm clearly not explaining my point properly because you don't seem to get it

So firstly yes, there are some things you just need to trust us on

But this is not a pig, this is an adoption of a strategy. The same methodology that is used to track the communication of extremists can also theoretically be used to spy on people ...but that is not its intention. So you are right about its potential use but wrong around the practical use of it. Big difference

You're explaining your point fine Bruce, your point is just wrong.

I have to say what never ceases to amaze me about these forums   is the lack of support from our American friends towards these types of initiatives ...like Prism

Its designed to protect you and your families yet you only see the negative and criticize it....it boggles my mind  :wowey:

It's because I value liberty and don't want a government spying on me, despite any claims of how much they're protecting me from the boogeyman they can't tell me about.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

5. Divorced

GD thank you for being honest...your view is important because some  people won't believe it if I say it..things are actually rather good   :)

But GD now I have to remind you about something..and I know you will  be honest 

When Obama was reelected a second time you became unusually depressed and said this was the beginning of the end and we should all invest in gold :)

How do you now feel about that perspective? 

I DID invest in gold! I started buying at $820, bought even more at $1300, sold some at $1600, sold all the rest at $1950. I made a fortune off fear of that SOB. :lol:

I have no love for that man at all. None. He has no respect or regard for individual liberty and he has been a terrible President. But as far as my own personal fortunes both good and bad there is not a single politician living or dead who had anything to do with any of it. Not one of them helped me or hurt me. And that is true for everyone by and large.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Sometimes, I think some of the things you say are just trolling. Unfortunately, I know better at this point...:)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Sometimes, I think some of the things you say are just trolling. Unfortunately, I know better at this point... :)

Yes sometimes the desensitized truth can be so startling to  the average person the immediate reaction is " he must be trolling " 

Prism was created to help the NSA protect America...weird but true  :biggrin:

John Milton 

Sometimes, I think some of the things you say are just trolling. Unfortunately, I know better at this point... :)

Yes sometimes the desensitized truth can be so startling to  the average person the immediate reaction is " he must be trolling " 

When it comes to things a government comes up with we need to be less concerned with what it was designed to do and more concerned with what it can do. Or what a future government might do with it.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

When it comes to things a government comes up with we need to be less concerned with what it was designed to do and more concerned with what it can do. Or what a future government might do with it.

Okay sure, Prism could be abused in some sort of bizarro alternative future for the USA where the federal government becomes ideologically dictatorial ...yes this could happen and its powerful and effective 

But for me I dwell in the current reality where that isn't going to happen  :p  GD do you really worry about a time where the federal government just starts killing people mercilessly and basically there  is major conflict between some states and the Fed government ?

John Milton 

Is it inevitable? No. Is it probable, or at least possible? Absolutely. It's not like it hasn't already happened here a few times. As I have said before the greatest threat to freedom in the US is not ISIS, or Russia, or China, or (insert foreign powers name here). The greatest threat to freedom in the US is located between Maryland & Virginia.

But here we are derailing this thread again so I'll drop it

Thomas Sowell

You're being targeted with racism and sexism? Do tell. And what civil liberties have you personally lost in the last year or two? And how does unsustainable resource exploitation affect you on a personal day to day level.

Please note what this thread was about.

I'm not Barothmuk, but I think I can answer some of those.

For instance, despite the fact that I'm a male, I'm being discriminated against by the justice system since the passing of a law in 2004 to protect against "gender-based violence". It's hilarious really, because the then-incumbent minister that is responsible for the law, has been himself a victim of a bogus complaint. Just a single complaint, mind, could mean that I would lose the right to see my kids, if I had any, without the need for the complaint to result in a conviction. Yes, that is sexism.

Regarding civil liberties, a new "public safety" bill has been passed that, for instance, makes it illegal to record police interventions under certain circumstances*, and to protest in front of public institutions and buildings, which has resulted in such absurd occurrences as a "virtual protest". I can also be fined or even imprisoned for burning the flag or otherwise "offending Spain". Thankfully, our Interior minister clarifies: "offense is that which offends". Well I'm so ****ing relieved. Yes, this is in the mother****ing 21st century. Other countries' flags are fine, though.

As for unsustainable exploitation of natural resources, it affects me directly, for instance with fish prices. Just three weeks ago our local fishing grounds were functionally exhausted for the season due to, among other things, bottom trawling, which is cheap, indiscriminate, but not illegal despite the fact that it destroys the ability of the ecosystem to recover from fishing. This leads to our fishing fleets having to travel deeper into sea or into other countries' fishing grounds, which raises prices for me. This is without going into how contaminated** food is in general (and fish in particular) due to industrial activity, which raises the risk of cancer, food poisoning, allergies, etc for me.

Want me to go on? Look, I get it, the sun's shining, you're in love, everything's great for you and it could be for me too if I just smiled more. I just can't stop thinking that no matter how hard I smile like a moron, things aren't getting better for future generations. Sorry to rain on your parade.

*to be determined... by the police.

In order to keep the spirit of this thread on and going, i'll try to answer accordingly:

Funny how the sarcasm in your post went over people's heads.

**edit: I accidentally the whole verb! Is this dangerous?

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 3

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

- Poverty

- We are richer than we ever have been. Cheer up!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/01/business/economy/changed-life-of-the-poor-squeak-by-and-buy-a-lot.html?_r=0

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I'm pretty busy but from a quick skim it seems like it's stating the opposite of what you said.

I.e. The cost of living is in fact increasing while the price of consumer goods is decreasing.

In a country like the US being poor is just bad luck. Staying that way is a choice.
Sure are a lot more people choosing to be poor.
  • Like 1

You're being targeted with racism and sexism? Do tell. And what civil liberties have you personally lost in the last year or two? And how does unsustainable resource exploitation affect you on a personal day to day level.

Please note what this thread was about.

For instance, despite the fact that I'm a male, I'm being discriminated against by the justice system since the passing of a law in 2004 to protect against "gender-based violence". It's hilarious really, because the then-incumbent minister that is responsible for the law, has been himself a victim of a bogus complaint. Just a single complaint, mind, could mean that I would lose the right to see my kids, if I had any, without the need for the complaint to result in a conviction. Yes, that is sexism.

Regarding civil liberties, a new "public safety" bill has been passed that, for instance, makes it illegal to record police interventions under certain circumstances*, and to protest in front of public institutions and buildings, which has resulted in such absurd occurrences as a "virtual protest". I can also be fined or even imprisoned for burning the flag or otherwise "offending Spain". Thankfully, our Interior minister clarifies: "offense is that which offends". Well I'm so ****ing relieved. Yes, this is in the mother****ing 21st century. Other countries' flags are fine, though.

As for unsustainable exploitation of natural resources, it affects me directly, for instance with fish prices. Just three weeks ago our local fishing grounds were functionally exhausted for the season due to, among other things, bottom trawling, which is cheap, indiscriminate, but not illegal despite the fact that it destroys the ability of the ecosystem to recover from fishing. This leads to our fishing fleets having to travel deeper into sea or into other countries' fishing grounds, which raises prices for me. This is without going into how contaminated** food is in general (and fish in particular) due to industrial activity, which raises the risk of cancer, food poisoning, allergies, etc for me.

Want me to go on? Look, I get it, the sun's shining, you're in love, everything's great for you and it could be for me too if I just smiled more. I just can't stop thinking that no matter how hard I smile like a moron, things aren't getting better for future generations. Sorry to rain on your parade.

I don't know 2133 but your points don't seem that serious enough to suggest that we don't  live a the greatest era of mankind. To me this is probably unique to Spain so its doesn't really change the broader message which is positive 

John Milton 

I'm pretty busy but from a quick skim it seems like it's stating the opposite of what you said.

I.e. The cost of living is in fact increasing while the price of consumer goods is decreasing.

Housing is going down, clothes are going down, vehicles are going down (weirdly the cost of maintenance is going up. You'd think as cars get more replaceable the cost of fixing them would go down, but nope. I don't have a car personally so that really surprised me.). The only thing people really need that is going up is food, but food in general is really cheap; a bit of an increase in the cost of food is pennies compared to the lowered costs of housing. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Housing is going down, clothes are going down, vehicles are going down (weirdly the cost of maintenance is going up. You'd think as cars get more replaceable the cost of fixing them would go down, but nope. I don't have a car personally so that really surprised me.). The only thing people really need that is going up is food, but food in general is really cheap; a bit of an increase in the cost of food is pennies compared to the lowered costs of housing. 

And yet, if some people are to believed, we're all doomed unless we collectively switch from eating meat to munching on crickets and mealworms.

As far as I'm concerned, they can have all the crickets and mealworms they want. I'll make do with chicken, thanks very much.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

In a country like the US being poor is just bad luck. Staying that way is a choice.

Sure are a lot more people choosing to be poor.

By choosing NOT to do what is needed to change their situation, yes they are.

Thomas Sowell

And yet, if some people are to believed, we're all doomed unless we collectively switch from eating meat to munching on crickets and mealworms.

As far as I'm concerned, they can have all the crickets and mealworms they want. I'll make do with chicken, thanks very much.

I love me some chicken, but have you tried a fried cricket? It's delicious. Mealworms not so much, rather boring and tasteless, though I doubt I'd have a problem with it as a supplement to fill out pastas and the like. I want to try spider some day.

I love me some chicken, but have you tried a fried cricket? It's delicious. Mealworms not so much, rather boring and tasteless, though I doubt I'd have a problem with it as a supplement to fill out pastas and the like. I want to try spider some day.

I'm not really adventurous minded when it comes to these things, I guess. Eating things like crickets, or frog legs, or snails for that matter, just doesn't really appeal to me. And as long as I can easily opt for chicken instead, that's not going to change.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

food in general is really cheap

Good food (and I don't mean that avant-garde haute cuisine bull****), not so much. Look at the labels and macro breakdown, read up on additives, manufacturing processes, etc. Some of that **** is just gross, not to mention unethical to produce due to the conditions animals are kept in and forced relocations to make room for farming land. The GMO debate is a whole 'nother can of worms. Who wants to spend upwards of 50% of their income on quality, fair trade food, though?

Y'think? And what is needed to change one's situation from unsuccessful to successful? Have you met many people that freely, consciously made the choice to be poor, unhappy, unsuccessful or otherwise miserable? Is this a strength of character thing or it depends on acquired or innate insights? And are those inheritable or environmentally influenced traits?

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

food in general is really cheap

Good food (and I don't mean that avant-garde haute cuisine bull****), not so much. Look at the labels and macro breakdown, read up on additives, manufacturing processes, etc. Some of that **** is just gross, not to mention unethical to produce due to the conditions animals are kept in and forced relocations to make room for farming land. The GMO debate is a whole 'nother can of worms. Who wants to spend upwards of 50% of their income on quality, fair trade food, though?

I got a large bag full of fresh celery for $2.00 at my local meijer grocery store. You can get an entire sack of potatoes for $1.89. There is plenty of decent food that is easily affordable if one is willing to buy it. Every day I see it, lots of fresh healthy food sold at very low prices that people ignore in favor of junk food and soda (soda isn't even cheap!). Give me $45 and I can eat reasonably well for a month.

Y'think? And what is needed to change one's situation from unsuccessful to successful?

Marketable skills or the willingness to learn marketable skills, and the will to apply those skills.

Have you met many people that freely, consciously made the choice to be poor,

I have. Me. With my skills I could easily make much more money than I do, but I'm not willing to do the work. Which is fine, and I don't complain about my lot in life; I have everything I'm willing to work for. I own my own land, I have plenty of food ( I buy some and grow some), and I got my vidya games. 

I would urge restraint on drawing conclusions about the housing market - especially considering that 2005 (the start of the NYT price comparison) was just 1 year prior to the peak of the housing bubble.  I would suggest that most of the subsequent price decline is due to post bubble price collapse and not an actual long term price decline.  Most housing price charts show that over the last couple of years prices have been on the rebound and have nearly reached 2004 levels. 

I'm also skeptical of the NYT chart in general since the caption underneath states that retail prices were adjusted for both quantity and quality and make no effort to explain what methodology was use.  You're free to accept them at face value but drawing conclusions about actual price trends from that chart is imo difficult if not impossible.   The clothing price decline you quote is a good example:  CPI clothing indices show a modest 3% (+/-) increase over the time period in question.  And the general CPI index has steadily increased by 63.5% over the last 20 years and by ~30% over the last 10. 

Otherwise everything is great here.  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Edited by kgambit

So you're talking about society in general, but fish prices do affect you personally. You know there's more food to eat than just fish and healthy food too.

Yes, everything is great for me. Instead of moping and shouting the sky is falling, I've done something with my life.

Y'think? And what is needed to change one's situation from unsuccessful to successful? Have you met many people that freely, consciously made the choice to be poor, unhappy, unsuccessful or otherwise miserable? Is this a strength of character thing or it depends on acquired or innate insights? And are those inheritable or environmentally influenced traits?

Actually yes. I knew a lady when I lived in South Florida. She worked two jobs making near minimum wage and was so deep in credit card debt she had almost no hope of getting out. But she smoked 2 cartons of cigarettes a week and blew $200 a week in the Seminole Indian Casino. I told her to stop smoking and stop gambling and her financial situation would improve immediately. She wouldn't do either. Sometimes she won a few hundred bucks but spent thousands to do it.

If you ever find yourself in a hole the first thing you need to do is stop digging. When I lost my business and my home I was not buying booze or steak dinners or stuff like that. With limited resources I bought only what was needed to turn one day into the next. When I couldn't find work in Ft. Lauderdale I moved to West Palm Beach. When I couldn't afford a better place to live in town I moved out to the sticks.

There are no end to the possibilities available to folks in the US today. If your education is what is holding you back there is low cost and even no cost alternatives. Community colleges, trade schools, adult education... free in many cases. All you have to do is show up. Don't buy unnecessary things if you can't afford them. If you need work and there is none to be had nearby, then go where the work is. Start your own business. Do work on the side for cash. It's everyone's first responsibility to take care of themselves and their families.

To tell the truth I don't know who I resent more. The ones who get on public assistance and stay there forever because it is always easier to do nothing than do something or the folks who tell me it's people like me who are responsible they are in the predicament they are in and demand I pay their way from my hard work.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell