Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

In fairness I'd rather believe this fact based study conducted by recognised PhD's than McIntosh and his sock puppets extremely poorly made and frequently factually inaccurate videos.

Well that's not a very constructive attitude.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Taking facts and a recognised study over a few poorly made and researched videos? I suppose that's a different perspective on what constitutes constructive then.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

On the militaries hand in entertainment:
The DoD has a program where they'll help fund a movie (it's been movies mostly) but they get to do a bit of script doctoring to make the militaries portrayal within it be more beneficial for them. They only get the money if the DoD gets that script control over the portrayal of their soldiers and such. This actually caused them to be out of Avengers 2 and (I think) Winter Soldier because it makes the military look ineffective.

Somebody mentioned that Man of Steel's portrayal of the Military was bad, but think about it. The Military men all follow orders no matter what and their concern is always to defend American soil, to the point that they heroically sacrifice themselves to save the day while Superman is busy punching other people.

And in Xmen, consider, the military guys there may be drones, but they're always trying to do the right thing, even if they're following orders. It's like the CCA's content controls like this 

Crimes shall never be presented in such a way as to create sympathy for the criminal, to promote distrust of the forces of law and justice, or to inspire others with a desire to imitate criminals.

If crime is depicted it shall be as a sordid and unpleasant activity.

Policemen, judges, government officials, and respected institutions shall never be presented in such a way as to create disrespect for established authority.

But can I ask those who are trying to say that Anita is making good points and should be taken seriously. 

What was your reaction to when Fox News declared that Mass Effect would have interactive sex acts and full frontal nudity?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

But can I ask those who are trying to say that Anita is making good points and should be taken seriously. 

What was your reaction to when Fox News declared that Mass Effect would have interactive sex acts and full frontal nudity?

Now there's a false equivalence if I ever saw one.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Check the what the best selling title on Steam is at the moment, fellas.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

1423662349107.png

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Lego Worlds?

Check KP's post.

Atleast on my list it's at the top before GTA V and Witcher 3.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I get

Lego Worlds

Hatred

GTA V

I get 

1 Hatred

2 GTA V

3 Witcher 3

You live in the wrong region :p

But man, this game is a "piss off" to everyone:

Achievement unlocked: 

Mainstream Guy

Kill 50 hipsters  

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

You live in the wrong region tongue.png

Story of my life... :(

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

More tr0l0l0000l:

1433190766509.png

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

There are zero people that have said that.  Unless you count Bruce, who responds with 'that's a good point' to pretty much everybody.

Now there's a false equivalence if I ever saw one.

IMO, it's not. Because much of the information she gives her viewers has the same veracity and truth behind it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Taking facts and a recognised study over a few poorly made and researched videos?

No, the false dichotomy thing.

There is none as far as I can see.

Ironic that Hatred is now a top selling game thanks to game journalists false outrage, especially when considering that there have been far more violent and graphic games that have not achieved such status as to deserve Twitch bans, and such fevered debate.

For instance the old Punisher game and its interrogation scenes, which I believe was far more shocking. Spoilered for graphic depiction of virtual violence:

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Meh, as much as game journalism sucks Hatred has been about as exploitative as it gets in their marketing and deliberately and consistently set out to get controversy as a selling point. Indeed, from the reactions I've observed just about its only selling point. I'm still expecting some Stalin vs Martians like- well, probably not as actually bad as SvM- overmarketed, poor and short game from Hatred. If so it will be interesting to see how many people can admit they were duped.

I don't of course think it should be banned or anything, they can make and market their game any way they want so far as I am concerned. But a game that pretty transparently aims to get people buying it on the premise that it will annoy sjws if you do is not really something I can get behind, at all. I don't particularly care if it's a GG knee jerking up through the desk or an sjw one, they're both bad.

(Seriously, the number of people wanting to preorder it solely on the basis of it annoying sjws, I'm actually not sure I've seen anyone say they preordered/ wanted to buy on the basis of it being, well, a good game as opposed to some sort of principle of free speech/ censorship or being anti sjw. And really, that is about as sheep like as anyone preordering CoD or Mass Effect or AssCreed or whatever the cool people like to laugh at du jour)

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

Yeah. It doesn't take much cleverness to annoy or upset SJWs. Hell, even their 'allies' like Obsidian and Bioware annoy and upset without even trying. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

https://archive.is/j7x2t

I've always wondered why people who seem to dislike videogames get a low-paying(from what data I've seen) job writing about them. I mean I get that Polygon is more a political site these days, but couldn't they start a blog centered around liberalism instead of doing videogame press?

http://nichegamer.com/2015/06/saudi-arabia-enacts-new-rating-system-will-also-seek-ban-on-certain-games/

Saudi Arabia is implementing a new rating system and possibly banning some games. If this gets called "progressive" for banning GTA, I wouldn't be surprised.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I've always wondered why people who seem to dislike videogames get a low-paying(from what data I've seen) job writing about them. I mean I get that Polygon is more a political site these days, but couldn't they start a blog centered around liberalism instead of doing videogame press?

All video games are stupid, of course. That whole thing of, 'you're not really shooting terrorists or winning the World Cup, you're just pressing buttons' is patronizing and simplistic but every now and again you come across a game that has so little emotional connection to who you are that you end up standing there, gazing at the screen and saying "I'm just pressing buttons and my life has no meaning," to a slightly bemused PR person.

Why is this person even writing about games for games site? Also, having some imagination helps getting immersed in a game, but obviously this guy has none.

Edit: It really seems like these type of people have failed in everywhere else, because of their lack of skill in anything relevant, and they have never understood their personal failings are their own fault. Then they find a job what has so low standards even they can get hired. It isn't flipping burgers. It is games journalism.

Leigh Alexander is a good example of this. Now she has her own site that has only her going for it and she's in deep trouble, because her writing is bad. She never needed to improve her writing.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

http://nichegamer.com/2015/06/saudi-arabia-enacts-new-rating-system-will-also-seek-ban-on-certain-games/

Saudi Arabia is implementing a new rating system and possibly banning some games. If this gets called "progressive" for banning GTA, I wouldn't be surprised.

That article is parody levels of bad. Trying to elevate himself by mentioning that he's 1) eating a fine pastry 2) discussing politics about a country no one cares about and therefore safe to have an opinion about 3) finding no pleasure in simple, out-of-control joys. Yeah, join the salvation army or doctors without borders already, you self-hating imbecille.

I think that it is possible that some western countries will be less progressive than Saudi-Arabia in terms of gaming, practically speaking. This due to people in countries in that region tend not to follow the rule of law so strictly.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I think that it is possible that some western countries will be less progressive than Saudi-Arabia in terms of gaming, practically speaking. This due to people in countries in that region tend not to follow the rule of law so strictly.

Have you ever been to Saudi Arabia? I doubt any Western country will be anywhere near as restrictive around gaming  as the conservative view of the Saudi's and what they consider as acceptable gaming content

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Have you ever been to Saudi Arabia? I doubt any Western country will be anywhere near as restrictive around gaming  as the conservative view of the Saudi's and what they consider as acceptable gaming content

My contacts with the region tell me that they do quite a lot "under the table" and the trust in the local authorities and governments are pretty much nil. That's why a ban of a game will not bring any real effect. Compare that to a ban in Germany, where every part of the distribution-chain will be heavily monitored because well, the is the law, and how can anyone break the law? That's why a ban of a game will have greater effect.

Maybe not now, but i wouldn't be surprised in the near future.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

My contacts with the region tell me that they do quite a lot "under the table" and the trust in the local authorities and governments are pretty much nil. That's why a ban of a game will not bring any real effect. Compare that to a ban in Germany, where every part of the distribution-chain will be heavily monitored because well, the is the law, and how can anyone break the law? That's why a ban of a game will have greater effect.

Maybe not now, but i wouldn't be surprised in the near future.

Okay I see your point, if Germany banned a game like GTAV then it probably would be more effectively implemented than how the Saudi's could do it 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela