Translation Errors / Missing Translations - English

AndreaColombo

Question

It feels kind of weird to refer to the English language as a "translation"—it really isn't—but I wanted to maintain the same format as all other language-related threads for the sake of convenience. Moderators are welcome to edit the thread's title if they see fit.

This thread is meant to highlight typos, grammar and syntax mistakes found in the English game text.

Fixing them should be pretty trivial for the devs, so hopefully each patch can bring textual improvements on top of bug fixes.

I'll be using screenshots to illustrates errors I find.

• When you first meet Durance, one of his lines of dialog has an extra "if" that should be removed: screenshot
  • When the Steward offers you the stronghold, there should be a space after the ellipsis highlighted: screenshot
  • When you first talk to Helig, he says the magic keeping him alive took "great deal of preparation"—missing an "a" (should be "a great deal of..."): screenshot
  • In the book about Dunryd Row there's a sentence where the subject is separated from its verb with a comma—needless to say that is never correct: screenshot

I'll post more as I run into them.

Anyone feel free to add any typos they find!

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

b1wGlum.png

This is more of a stylistic issue. At no point in the sentence is Bethwl identified. Taking this conversation node in isolation, the only way to know "her" is Bethwl is by looking at the label. I don't think any other piece of dialogue in the game works like this.

It should be something like "Fur bristles along the anamenfath's arms", IMO.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 1

• "Was" should be "were". Screenshot

• "A" should be removed; "an" is correct and should remain. Screenshot

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• "savanna" should be "savannah" according to the lore. Screenshot

• "as you soon as" should be "as soon as". Screenshot

• The comma after "he nods" makes no sense. Screenshot

"between the keep and I." should be "between the keep and me." (really, "I" used as an object is beyond ungrammatical.) Screenshot

Edited by AndreaColombo

• "either you, or I" should be "either you, or me." Screenshot

• "weapons rack" should be "weapons' rack" (missing apostrophe.) Screenshot

"the sound" being the subject, the verb should be "is" rather than "are". Screenshot

"records clerk" should be "records' clerk" Screenshot

I hope this is the right thread. I spotted a couple of gender errors when the PC is addressed (my character is a female Elf):

When talking to Kolsc after seeing Raedric, link

When a distant relative of Gramrfel the Wayfarer comes to seek his release, link

Client version is 2.01 (WM installed)

• The comma highlighted should be removed (it serves no purpose and is ungrammatical.) Screenshot
  • "Between she and I" makes no sense and is highly ungrammatical; "she" and "I" are subjects and can't be used as objects. "Between her and me" is the correct form. Screenshot
  • "forgive me saying so" should be "forgive my saying so" Screenshot
  • Screenshot

In the last screenshot, two correct uses of the comma have been joined in an incorrect mix :) The correct form is either one of the following two:

• Her eyes shine, and for an instant she looks like a much younger woman.
  • Her eyes shine and, for an instant, she looks like a much younger woman.

EDIT: A few more.

• "return" should be "returned" Screenshot
  • Sentence begins with a space that needs removing. Screenshot
  • "fully articulated" should not be hyphenated (composite adjectives that include an adverb never hyphenate.) Screenshot
  • "Might fine" should be "Mighty fine" Screenshot
Edited by AndreaColombo

I created a top-level post for this, but by suggestion I'm also reporting it here.

There is a minor text error in the soul history of Oleg Shimanovsky in the Copperlane distict of Defiance Bay (just west of the Scrivener's Dormitory).

The third paragraph reads "The outer door is bursts open with […]."

I believe the "is" should be removed, as it's ungrammatical & seems to be an editing error. (There are other ways to fix that sentence, but dropping the "is" is almost certainly what was intended and it's the fix that's most consistent with the tone, tense and flow of the rest of the text.)

• Like 1

• Missing "is" ("it as" should be "it is as") Screenshot

The sentence underlined has inconsistent verb tenses. Based on the context, it should be "If they noticed me [...] we'd be overrun." Screenshot

Thank you, Eric!

Could you name a few errors that are by design, that we may stop reporting them?

I sure hope "I" used as an object isn't part of those: It really drives me up the wall :biggrin:

EDIT: a few more while we're at it

• Missing comma after "room" to close the aside Screenshot
  • Missing "the" (reads, "but way leads down"; should be, "but the way leads down") Screenshot
  • The sentence underlined shows up twice (I suggest removing the second one, since it's shorter.) Screenshot
Edited by AndreaColombo

• Pretty sure "Stamina" should be "Endurance" Screenshot

• Subject being singular, the verb should be "feels" Screenshot

The correct name is "Krivi" without an "s" Screenshot

data_expansion1/localized/en/text/conversations/px1_00_stalwart_village/px1_00_renengild.stringtable

ID 255 "Steel is steel. It may be light and it may take an edge well, but per complanca, the legends grow with each passing year."

What the heck is „per complanca“? Google finds nothing. Just checked all translations, only french has there something other, but my level of french is not enough to understand this. All other translations have it left unchanged, even russian.

*edit*

data_expansion1/localized/en/text/conversations/px1_02_durgans_battery/px1_02_si_chasm_rescue.stringtable

ID 84: Random Node 84

Artefact? Or just missing?

*edit 2*

There are a many more of them. Try a grep for „Node“.

Edited by Xaratas

data\conversations\01_defiance_bay_copperlane\01_cv_lumdala.stringtable:52

"Autographs after the performance, please. Great art requires great concentration, and greatness is expected from the Revel of the Stars."

Should the 'the' be removed ? Every other occurences in the game are 'the Revel of Stars'.

French localizations here.

French localization thread here.

data\conversations\px2_08_yenwood\px2_08_cv_chancellor.stringtable:23

"My apologies, but you these are dire times. Our business must wait until these riots have ceased, milady!"

'you' should be removed (the male version was corrected in the last patch but not the female version).

French localizations here.

French localization thread here.

• "has issue" should be "has issued" - Screenshot
  • "was was" should be "we were" (unless it was deliberate because I guess the dude's education's kinda lacking anyway?) - Screenshot

Eric, I noticed you didn't fix instances of "I" used as an object—why, oh why? Is it to reflect the fact that many people use it like that despite its being ungrammatical?

Typo in Aegis of Loyalty description reported here ("severed" should be "severe")

Thats not quite a female version of the default text.

data/localized/en/text/conversations/00_dyrwood/00_cv_aelys.stringtable

<Entry>
      <ID>113</ID>
      <DefaultText>"Don't look at me like that. It isn't mine."</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText>"It happens to the best of us."</FemaleText>
    </Entry>