What are you playing now?

CBA to play PoE, it just doesn't grab me. Funny thing, same thing happened to me with PST. Was thinking of getting Sleeping Dogs for 10€. Any opinions?

Now that i´m done with my first PoE playthru, i´m back to BG2:EE...curious if i will like the EE over a modded version..chances are not good ;)

Yeah, why not mod the EE? Outside of Ascension (which I have on good authority that can be made to work with a little modding of your own), there's a ton of good mods that have been adapted.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

CBA to play PoE, it just doesn't grab me. Funny thing, same thing happened to me with PST. Was thinking of getting Sleeping Dogs for 10€. Any opinions?

Now that i´m done with my first PoE playthru, i´m back to BG2:EE...curious if i will like the EE over a modded version..chances are not good ;)

Yeah, why not mod the EE? Outside of Ascension (which I have on good authority that can be made to work with a little modding of your own), there's a ton of good mods that have been adapted.

Most are still in beta, only things i have active now is party and romance banter which don´t mess up the game, i want to see what EE has..so far..nothing mods don´t provide..

There are still more mods out for the original, and that will probably stay the way it is, because a lot them retired. EE so far...looks a tad nicer..but some writing is just blah..some is good..the new vampire char is nice..but pretty cheap also. I don´t know yet :) just giving it a try ;D

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Lost interest in PoE. Getting tired of being killed by stupid tree hugging druids and drakes. Playing Skyrim again.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Due to work and tabletop I must admit that i've been neglecting Poe somewhat, however I finally got around to the end of act II. I think that I will now go back to neglecting it for a while, rather disappointing.

PoE starts out promising...but a lot of the writing is dry and combat gets tedious. The IE mod now has an AI component, but the only trouble I've had is with those mushroom things that confuse the party. I hope the expansion improves things, but I'm not getting too optimistic.

And the companions are terribly built. Part of me wonders if that was intentional to push hirelings.

To be honest, I didn't get much out of the EEs. It's nice to have more info in the character sheet, but it isn't worth the extra money.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I definitely like the first half of PoE a lot more than the 2nd half. I could probably replay just Act1/part of Act2 repeatedly just to mess around. More maps and Raedric's whole quest/castle + a couple other small dungeons were a lot of fun. But Act3 in particular has more of a rushed feel to it. Or maybe you just get tired.

I'll finish it, tho. I think I'm close to where I could get to the end before long, if I ignored doing all the side quests.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Now that i´m done with my first PoE playthru, i´m back to BG2:EE...curious if i will like the EE over a modded version..chances are not good wink.png

Pretty much done with PoE, tried playing a rogue and just got bored by the knowledge of what's to come. Sleeping Dogs is worth that price, was a fun game - basically you play in a cheesy HK action flick. Had the best motorcycle handling of any open world game I've played (so 3.. :p) and the martial arts combat is satisfying. Although you shatter guys' tibias or forearms and they don't seem to mind..

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Baldur's Gate 2. It amazes me that after...literally, probably 50 playthroughs since I was 5-6 years old, I'm still finding new stuff. Met some rogue named Itona at the northern limits of Trademeet - in all my years playing, I'd never seen the lady - and, to my great surprise, she was not mod-added. She's a shadow thief and gives a little hint on how to find Ihtafeer, the rakshasa the djinn are hunting. She also wears the Gloves of Missile Snaring - a pair of gloves I knew existed from messing around in game and save file editors, but never thought actually appeared anywhere in the game. Little stuff like this astounds me.

I also found out that an NPC in the Council of Six building in the government district, a guy named Llarsh, who I'd always thought was just for flavor and never served any useful purpose, actually DOES have a purpose. If you steal Valygar's tax forms from his house in the docks district, you can give them to Llarsh and he'll tell you about his cabin.

FURTHERMORE, somehow, I'd ALWAYS missed the fact that Cromwell can upgrade the Mace of Disruption. For some reason, I was under the impression that that was a mod-added thing (and a mod I did not have), but no, that's in the vanilla game, too! If you keep the pure illithium from the Sir Sarles quest (the artisan that the churches want you to secure for them), you can instead give it to Cromwell. Plus, the church you're working for doesn't even care, as long as you bring back the fake illithium - they'll be happy to use that instead.

I can't believe I've missed all three of these. :blink:

I'm playing with all my regular mods (Sword Coast Strategems, Item Revisions, Spell Revisions, etc.), except I'm using a 50% creature and quest XP reducer. The going has been a little tougher at times than I'm used to, I have to admit. The planar prison (Haer'dalis quest) was pretty friggan' hard. Yuan-ti - particularly the mages - are such pains in the butt. I think I have another mod...polytweak, I think...that improves them alongside SCS. Eek.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Was thinking of getting Sleeping Dogs for 10€. Any opinions?

I loved Sleeping Dogs.  It's a really fun GTA-clone.  On the gritty realism to cartoonish ridiculousness scale, the needle is definitely on the gritty realism side of the scale, whereas GTA is somewhere in the middle and Saint's Row (especially the latter ones) push the needle all the way up against the cartoonish ridiculousness end of the scale.  Hong Kong makes for an amazing backdrop, the Arkham-style melee combat system is well executed and satisfying, the game actually explores, a bit, the horrors and struggles of Wei Shen as he's torn between his job and loyalty to his friends, and there are some pretty sweet radio stations (though sadly no user station).  On the down side, the game could stand to be a little bit longer (It wasn't super short, mind you), a lot of seemingly interesting characters don't get explored nearly enough, girlfriends are sadly mostly glossed over then forgotten (though they did bring my personal favorite, Not Ping, back for a DLC), and car handling physics are super twitchy.  Most importantly, though, you can buy and eat pork buns.  Wise man say, man who never eat pork bun is never a whole man.

Still playing Pillars.  58+ hours and I still haven't finished Act 2.  I'm happy to say that I haven't gotten bored or burned out on the game yet, which is amazing at nearly 60 hours.  I feel I've found the perfect party for my play style:  Beefstick the Barbarian, Eder, and Pallegina up front, providing the melee meat-shielding.  Durance with heals and buffs, Aloth with DPS and debuffs, and Grieving Mother with DPS and utility (I also have her dip into melee sometimes), from a distance.  I'll of course, switch some of the others in to do their personal quests from time to time, but that crew is my A Team.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On topic... finally got around to start a few games of Pillars of Eternity this weekend, now in that painful stage of trying to make up my mind regarding class and build before progressing too much (which means, create character, play a bit, delete, start over... repeat a lot) laughing.gif

I know that feeling. The only way I can get past that starting indecisiveness is to create a cookie-cutter hero-type (Paladin, usually) and decide that since I'm going to be replaying the game multiple times anyway, might as well explore the obligatory "fight baddies, rescue maidens" path first. =]

Shockingly enough, I've managed to avoid starting indecisiveness, which I am prone to, with Pillars.  I made Beefstick the Barbarian and 56+ hours later I've never looked back.  No metagaming either, I've been making decisions and living with the consequences, even if I have a change of heart moments later.

That's been my experience too.  Rolled a mage without much care, ploughed straight into the game and lived with pretty much every consequence.

Sleeping Dogs main story was all a bit too grim for my liking, so after about halfway I just ran around doing other stuff. Definitely got my money's worth, in terms of the construction of its open world, it's a lot more fun to just roam around in that the comparatively vanilla layout of Steelport (and probably GTA's cities, but I haven't played any recent ones).

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I can't believe I've missed all three of these. blink.png

I ran into all of those on my first playthrough.

Thinking of firing it up again as a BGT-BWP, going to do either a F/M/C or F/M/T(possibly with a kit cuz I'm a cheater). A bit put off by the time it takes to do a BWP install, but perhaps I'll find the time when I'm done with PoE.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Looks like opinions for Sleeping Dogs are mostly positive around here, so I'm going to give it a whirl. Thanks guys.

FURTHERMORE, somehow, I'd ALWAYS missed the fact that Cromwell can upgrade the Mace of Disruption. For some reason, I was under the impression that that was a mod-added thing (and a mod I did not have), but no, that's in the vanilla game, too! If you keep the pure illithium from the Sir Sarles quest (the artisan that the churches want you to secure for them), you can instead give it to Cromwell. Plus, the church you're working for doesn't even care, as long as you bring back the fake illithium - they'll be happy to use that instead.

The upgraded Mace of Disruption is plain unfair, man. Trivializes liches, vampires... even Kangaxx. And unlike the other OP weapons it's really easy to get. As you say, you're not even penalized for trying to pull a fast one on that pompous **** Sir Sarles. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed it.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Sleeping Dogs takes itself too seriously. The plot is not good, they should have gone either full Police Story or full Yakuza.

Still fun scooting around Hong Kong and pushing random girls thugs into trunks.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I was thinking about finally trying Alpha 11 of 7DtD but all the forum posts about it aren't too inspiring. Maybe if I turn the zombies off to get used to all the new mechanics first.

PoE - I wonder what 6 Ciphers would be like. Or cheating Eder's stats and running with just him and a Cipher for the lulz.

General: I think I need a new game again.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I can't believe I've missed all three of these. blink.png

I ran into all of those on my first playthrough.

Thinking of firing it up again as a BGT-BWP, going to do either a F/M/C or F/M/T(possibly with a kit cuz I'm a cheater). A bit put off by the time it takes to do a BWP install, but perhaps I'll find the time when I'm done with PoE.

I still install mods manually. Big World Setup is useful as a guide, though - though I wouldn't use just plain old BWP, since that would add way too much junk I don't want regardless of the settings I use. Also, frustratingly, the BWS is locked to always install Baldur's Gate Trilogy, and while BGT is great, I just don't care for BG1 that much and it's more trouble than it's worth.

The upgraded Mace of Disruption is plain unfair, man. Trivializes liches, vampires... even Kangaxx. And unlike the other OP weapons it's really easy to get. As you say, you're not even penalized for trying to pull a fast one on that pompous **** Sir Sarles. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed it.

I'm playing with Item Revisions...any undead hit with it needs to make a plain save vs. death or it does nothing. Vampires are impossible to kill with it, skeleton warriors extremely unlikely, and liches unlikely (yes, liches are the easiest of the three, for some reason - crappy mage save vs death progression table, I guess? :p). And since I'm playing with the hardest SCS settings, it means I have to tear down spell defenses regardless, and if the battle makes it that far, it's usually all over for the lich, anyway. It's not as useful as I'd hoped. :(

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I do manual install as well, with the pdf as a guide. Takes me about 3 hours, with level 1 npcs and SCS being about a third of the time.

SCS definitely takes a large amount of time, but Level 1 NPCs? Do you manually re-define each and every character? :p

SCS definitely takes a large amount of time, but Level 1 NPCs? Do you manually re-define each and every character? :p

Yes.

I'd rather just roll my own...which, coincidentally, is exactly what I do. :p

I'd rather just roll my own...which, coincidentally, is exactly what I do. :p

I considered doing that, but IMO part of BG is having to assemble your crew. Different strokes I suppose.

Decided to replay The Witcher 2 in preparation for the upcoming Witcher game.  Still love how much decisions affect the story/events that follow.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Pillars of Eternity. Its great, and makes me want to play the enhanced edition of the infinity engine games. Really enjoying the innovative game systems Obsidian designed with this one. Hope we get an expansion or a sequel soon in the coming years. Had a thought while playing, BG when it came out in 1998 pushed my Pentium 3 to the limit. What would an isometric RPG that actually uses the power of modern gaming PCs look like? Higher res textures, more amazing spell effects, more detail, etc. Why not?

PoE and NBA2K15, which I'll keep playing till NBA2K16.

Saillant detail: NBA2K is the only that I can recall that gives you the option to choose which monitor you want to play on in the game. No hassling with the primary screen in windows if I just played PoE on my regular monitor and wanna play NBA2K on my tv. 

Why don't more games gives this option? Seriously, it does not get any more console-ish than NBA2K, but this is PC optimisation every PC game should have, but none do. (as far as I'm aware, I obviously haven't played every game in existence)

A few days away from PoE (mostly - I did a few quests and made portraits :p ) and I feel more inspired to fiddle around with it again. Try different parties through Act1 at least. I do love Act1.

It all makes me want to play FO:NV again, however. I feel like headshot sniping stuff. Maybe I'll alternate.