Journalism and bias in the gaming industry.

Rosbjerg

So the artist caved in to a small minority of snowflakes because of a cover they deem people who are not even them should not be able to have at all because of how insecure and overcompensating they are about the character.

What's the problem? That's the problem.

Coming to your favorite comics/movies/games soon too that are going to require to become snowflake friendly to exist regardless of whether the snowflakes even buy it for themselves.

No, DC Comics changed a variant cover that was created by marketing as a retailer incentive after concern that the cover -

-referenced the potential rape of the main character*

-didn't fit the tone of the current book

-wasn't approved by the creative team or the editorial in the book because it was commissioned by marketing

-the artist agreed, in retrospect, the cover wasn't appropriate to the current book

The disturbing thing to me isn't that they pulled a variant cover (not even the actual retail cover!) but that so many people seem to think that blocking anyone who disagrees with them - no matter how benignly - is the appropriate response.

*While it wasn't his intention, Alan Moore IIRC has admitted that there's a lot in the text that could imply sexual assault of Barbara and IIRC again Brian Boland has indicated he read it as a sexual assault in the script and drew it accordingly.  Within that context, had Barbara been at the mercy of any other bat-villain I doubt it'd have been as big an issue.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

To be fair, I can easily see that having a woman crying while being menaced by a (bad) guy with a gun in that manner has certain implications respective or irrespective of previous events- and that it would be unlikely that Batman or Superman or most other male superheroes would be shown crying in a similar situation.

That might be because they're primary superheroes though, I don't know enough about the subject  as to whether, say, Wonder Woman has been shown crying in similar circumstances or if she behaves more stoically as Bats or Supes would.

I wasn't going to get involved in this debate but I know how much you guys appreciate and respect my opinion on these types of topics  :skeptical:

I agree with Zora in this point. I have an issue with female superheroes/characters  being portrayed in way that is either demeaning or in way that looks like they need a male to rescue them. Look at some of those older Wonder Women covers that Elerond posted..they not exactly complimentary to her character and you can see they were obviously done in a male-centric way and for a male audience 

And also I don't see too many covers of male superheroes crying on covers. Am I suggesting a complete overhaul of the comic industry, no of course not. I am just suggesting some sensitivity around how we present our female superheroes :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

^Superman went through a phase where he was always crying on covers.  It was usually because he couldn't stop something from happening (as opposed to being in the control of a villain).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

To be fair, I can easily see that having a woman crying while being menaced by a (bad) guy with a gun in that manner has certain implications respective or irrespective of previous events- and that it would be unlikely that Batman or Superman or most other male superheroes would be shown crying in a similar situation.

That might be because they're primary superheroes though, I don't know enough about the subject  as to whether, say, Wonder Woman has been shown crying in similar circumstances or if she behaves more stoically as Bats or Supes would.

I wasn't going to get involved in this debate but I know how much you guys appreciate and respect my opinion on these types of topics  :skeptical:

I agree with Zora in this point. I have an issue with female superheroes/characters  being portrayed in way that is either demeaning or in way that looks like they need a male to rescue them. Look at some of those older Wonder Women covers that Elerond posted..they not exactly complimentary to her character and you can see they were obviously done in a male-centric way and for a male audience 

And also I don't see too many covers of male superheroes crying on covers. Am I suggesting a complete overhaul of the comic industry, no of course not. I am just suggesting some sensitivity around how we present our female superheroes :)

Got a problem with these?

CAPnr_In_Uc_AAPXEO.jpg

CAPni_MTUc_AApord.jpg

CAPni5g_U8_AIv1ny.jpg

CAPnfh_XUQAA4_ZBS.jpg

CAPnevx_UYAEQSf_K.jpg

CAPne_JNUYAADG_l.jpg

CAPnd_YGUMAEQx_T5.jpg

CAO0o_WLUg_AELRSZ_jpg_large.jpg

CAJXo1_AWUAEo_IV.png

CAFv72_BUg_AADAs3.jpg

Edited by Fighter
  • Like 1

^Superman went through a phase where he was always crying on covers.  It was usually because he couldn't stop something from happening (as opposed to being in the control of a villain).

Fair enough but as you mentioned it was because of  events he had no control over ( I remember that classic and dramatic picture of him holding the dead Supergirl in the Crisis on Infinite Earths saga )  and not the fact he was being manhandled or overpowered 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

'So there can't even be a hint of a male harming a woman, but sexual harassment of a male superhero is played off as a joke and nobody cares.

4324734-hqvday_cvr_rgb.jpg

Of course I'm not suggesting that, lets try to have this debate in a reasonable way

I am saying the objection is to female characters portrayed in a demeaning or " rapey " ( is there such a word ) manner

Ask yourself a simple question when there is a possibly controversial picture, substitute the female character with a male and see how you would feel about that picture...so a picture of spider-women on her knees....weeping and submissive ...with the Green Goblin standing over her laughing...this basically being the epitome of male dominance over women and then imagine how you would feel if spiderman was in that role? Not that you would generally see something like that but you get my point 

John Milton 

'So there can't even be a hint of a male harming a woman, but sexual harassment of a male superhero is played off as a joke and nobody cares.

4324734-hqvday_cvr_rgb.jpg

Of course I'm not suggesting that, lets try to have this debate in a reasonable way

I am saying the objection is to female characters portrayed in a demeaning or " rapey " ( is there such a word ) manner

Ask yourself a simple question when there is a possibly controversial picture, substitute the female character with a male and see how you would feel about that picture...so a picture of spider-women on her knees....weeping and submissive ...with the Green Goblin standing over her laughing...this basically being the epitome of male dominance over women and then imagine how you would feel if spiderman was in that role? Not that you would generally see something like that but you get my point 

Here's what the difference is: The baggage you bring with it. People considered this cover "rapey" because they're obsessed with rape and need mental help. End of story. The facts are, of the high tier DC heroes males are much more likely to get raped than the women. Batman was raped twice. Nightwing was raped multiple times. John Constantine was raped. So was Green Arrow AND Green Lantern. The only female superhero that comes close to that tier that has had this is Starfire. Even outside that tier, men have had it worse. In League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the Invisible Man was raped to death. This is a pure mental double standard by people who bring their own baggage. The irony here is that DC's treatment of women here is unequel in the opposite direction, bordering on positive discrimination.

Source: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Rape

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1

DC writers have some rape fetishes it seems.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've posted a whole bunch of them with man being demeaned and manhandled the previous page. Here is one again, and it's not a big deal to anyone:

CAFv72_BUg_AADAs3.jpg

Okay I avoided answering you because the truth is I don't have a problem with it...you right. And I wasn't sure how I was going to respond without sounding like a hypocrite 

I don't have a problem with those types of pictures  because for me in our society there isn't really a major problem with men  being physically or emotionally  abused and dominated by women . So the female pictures go straight to a real social problem and dynamic that exits in certain conservative cultures ..the bad treatment of women which makes the pictures of women more personal ( and I'm saying I dont care about the abuse of men and boys..of course I do )

That's the difference for me around the pictures of men and women

John Milton 

I removed that rather graphic scene, if it's going to get that borderline you should leave it as a link with an NSFW warning.

Censor... :D Fair enough.

TRIGGER WARNING (if this is even allowed to apply to men). It's comic strip about a woman raping a man and then telling him to "man up", it's sort of graphic NSFW:

http://s23.postimg.org/45i39zfbf/CAXDa_Vi_Uw_AA2ys_T.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/jofj73nm3/CAXDa_Vg_Ug_AATxuz.jpg

http://s14.postimg.org/l3qzlzugx/CAXDa_Vi_VAAAoehc.jpg

Okay I avoided answering you because the truth is I don't have a problem with it...you right. And I wasn't sure how I was going to respond without sounding like a hypocrite 

I don't have a problem with those types of pictures  because for me in our society there isn't really a major problem with men  being physically or emotionally  abused and dominated by women . So the female pictures go straight to a real social problem and dynamic that exits in certain conservative cultures ..the bad treatment of women which makes the pictures of women more personal ( and I'm saying I dont care about the abuse of men and boys..of course I do )

That's the difference for me around the pictures of men and women.

So what you are saying is you are benevolently sexist.

Edited by Fighter
  • Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I removed that rather graphic scene, if it's going to get that borderline you should leave it as a link with an NSFW warning.

TRIGGER WARNING (if this is even allowed to apply to men). It's comic strip about a woman raping a man and then telling him to "man up", it's sort of graphic NSFW:

There was quite the outrage over that scene at the time it came out.

Outrage of too little nudity/lewdness? In that case i can relate. 

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Do you know who the characters are?

Invincible and an alien whose name I can't recall. She raped him because she needed to reproduce and didn't want to have sex with a human.

Reposting

BM_Cv37_1_25_var_large.jpg

Why does a cover showcasing the brutal beating and murder of a teenage boy not generate the same outrage?

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Batgirl has PTSD from that encounter with the Joker. She was paralyzed for years. The cover didn't insinuate that she needed a man to save her. And DC has a much bigger history of raping male characters anyway.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

BM_Cv37_1_25_var_large.jpg

Why does a cover showcasing the brutal beating and murder of a teenage boy not generate the same outrage?

I suppose the subtext is that men are disposable, while women are to be protected and shielded from any harm that a man may encounter. A fairly typical white knight reaction that demeans women who are strong, usually propagated by those whom do not know any or have unhealthy relationships with women, such as virgin sycophants and those whom are so pathetic as to have to pay for their attention, through striptease and prostitution. They will cheerfully and hypocritically say that they stand up for women, while sustaining and adding to the abuse they suffer.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

^ I c wat ya did thar

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

"I don't have a problem with those types of pictures  because for me in our society there isn't really a major problem with men  being physically or emotionally  abused and dominated by women . "

This is why SJWs are racists exist nazis.  The fact you have no issues with males being raped, murdered, and abused physically or emotionally shows how brainwashed and how hrorible your world view. In the real world - not the SJW world - males are just as likely if not more so be the victims of abuse, assault, and the like than women.

Problem is that for most people - thanks in large part to both SJWs AND sexist males - view females as weak and pathetic children who need to be treated liek little children while males are treated as nothing but  money and sperm donors that can then be thrown in the trash once used up. I for one think this is disgusting. Women are grown adults who should be treated as such. Men are human beings and should be treated as such.

But, patriarchy. L0L

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

CAS8Gx-U8AAjc38.jpg

Looks like Doomsday wants in on the action too.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands