Journalism and bias in the gaming industry.

Rosbjerg

The quality of that "yay feminism" writing in the new-Thor comic is so terrible it's self-defeating.

Have a feeling it will sell pretty well regardless. Hype, perhaps.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I thought that comic panel was a joke.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

The quality of that "yay feminism" writing in the new-Thor comic is so terrible it's self-defeating.

Nope, it's selling terribly.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Nope, it's selling terribly.

LOL  No.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/03/marvels-female-thor-outsells-male-version.html

Sales figures issued by ComiChron show the new character outselling the old comics by a large margin. The first four books with a double X-chromosome star sold close to 20,000 copies, more than the final four Thor issues in 2012.

The sales show the female Thor books as sixth in sales, with circulation reaching more than 93,000 copies. Amazing Spider Man #9, All New Captain America #1 and Batman claimed the top three spots.

Edited by kgambit

Outselling the final Thor issues in 2012. What a surprise, the first couple parts of a highly publicized genderbender reboot is outselling the last parts of a long in the tooth, ancient comic book series that was on the way out.

There are obviously no meaningful conclusions to take from that because they're not remotely comparable.

• Like 2

Outselling the final Thor issues in 2012. What a surprise, the first couple parts of a highly publicized genderbender reboot is outselling the last parts of a long in the tooth, ancient comic book series that was on the way out.

There are obviously no meaningful conclusions to take from that because they're not remotely comparable.

To be fair, I think they're comparing sales to the relaunched Thor: God of Thunder with that Marvel NOW! thing they did in 2012. Still not really comparable, as TGoT had to compete with a bunch of relaunches and a fresher New52 while Thor had fewer new comers to compete with. Probably going to have to wait until we get into trades to see how Thor lasts, but if Marvel's track record is any indication it will be cancelled before issue 40.

And it's worth keeping in mind that those are sales through Diamond to comic shops, not direct sales to readers.

EDIT: I compared the sales for TGoT on ComicChron to sales of Thor. Not KG's post mentioning sales of the last of The Mighty Thor that ended in 2012.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yes, the previous Thor series that ended in 2012 was "long in the tooth" at issue #22.  That was the post-Ragnarok, rebirth of the Asgardians Thor comic (IIRC).  It was followed by Aaron's own male Thor comic (that ran another 25 issues before this relaunch that Aaron says was always part of the story he started telling two years ago).

While I'll agree that we can't really draw meaningful conclusions (say on the fact that circulation numbers are a guesstimate since Marvel doesn't release circulation numbers anymore), its not quite the apples-to-oranges situation you describe.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't mind that it sells well. So does Twilight and Transformers.

I just find it ironic that anyone is doing the feminist victory dance over a character who is so thoroughly defined by the very well know known male god. You can't say Thor without thinking of... him. The character will forever owe that to the male figure and will never be bigger than said male figure.

Nobody said it wasn't surprising.  Orogun just said it was selling terribly and it's NOT.  Jesus H Christ. 

You might have actually read the link where it compares the sales from comparable points in their life span.

Like this does.:

According to sales data from Comichron, last month’s Thor #5 weighed in as the 11th-bestselling comic for February with 69,513 issues sold. (You might remember that comic for the way it poked fun at the book’s critics.) Compare that to where the Bro-Thor led Thor: God of Thunder was with its issue #5, at 33rd place with an estimated 51,861 comics sold.

There you are.  A comparison based on the two series at similar points in their life span.  Like that one better?

Edited by kgambit

I don't mind that it sells well. So does Twilight and Transformers.

I just find it ironic that anyone is doing the feminist victory dance over a character who is so thoroughly defined by the very well know known male god. You can't say Thor without thinking of... him. The character will forever owe that to the male figure and will never be bigger than said male figure.

It's part of a bigger philosophy i would wager, one that states that body and mind are completely separate.

For example, your mother and father can change gender, race and transition anything between while still having the same mind and subsequent character. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It says something that despite all the insistence from feminists and Aaron, people still refer to her as FemThor or Lady Thor, while Odinson is still referred to as Thor. No one is accepting that she is "The Real Thor"

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It says something that despite all the insistence from feminists and Aaron, people still refer to her as FemThor or Lady Thor, while Odinson is still referred to as Thor. No one is accepting that she is "The Real Thor"

...After a lengthy adjustment period of what, 7 issues?

What a surprise.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

That seems more like common sense than any protest.  If you have an original version, and you change that version to something different, you are going to have to differentiate the two.  FemThor or LadyThor seem like a pretty easy way to distinguish which one is being discussed.  

Was it this big a deal when they had a black Captain America?

Along these lines...

Host is ridiculous but what else is new these days :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think Link's design is pretty androgynous to begin with so it's not much of a stretch, but that notwithstanding that series has a bunch of underused female characters with serious potential. Why not use those characters instead? Why is it that nobody is advocating giving female characters real roles, rather taking existing roles and gender flipping them? Is it so hard to make a female character? Can a new character only achieve popularity through manhood only to be flipped afterwards? That doesn't seem like a fix for anything. At best, it's pandering. At worst, it's the gender variant of putting a character in blackface.

• Like 4

That seems more like common sense than any protest. If you have an original version, and you change that version to something different, you are going to have to differentiate the two. FemThor or LadyThor seem like a pretty easy way to distinguish which one is being discussed.

Black Captain America made sense, so no one complained.

Devastatorsig.jpg

That seems more like common sense than any protest. If you have an original version, and you change that version to something different, you are going to have to differentiate the two. FemThor or LadyThor seem like a pretty easy way to distinguish which one is being discussed.

I was apprehensive, but since he's keeping the Falcon stuff I'm fine with it.

Edit: Looking at Comichron's data, I have to wonder what the difference between "est. preorder" and "est. sales" is.

In addition, the 11 spot in 2008 was selling about 20k more copies than the current run and Thor(#6) was at #4 with 98254 units shipped to comic shops. Comic sales have generally gone down since sometime in 2008, with the frequent relaunches from Big2(particularly Marvel) causing spikes that increase sales of series. It's also interesting to note the prevalence of higher numbers in the higher spots in years prior to 2009. Anyone have digital sale data?

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I was apprehensive, but since he's keeping the Falcon stuff I'm fine with it.

Yeah, if he had abandoned the wings it wouldn't have made sense and people would have complained.

Devastatorsig.jpg

So is this female Thor still married to Sif of the golden hair, and at what time in the Prose Edda does this occur, before Loki's Flyting? I assume when he dresses as a woman to retrieve Mjolnir from the Jotun of Utgard. Personally i'd have thought Loki would have been more apt to turn into a woman, due to his foaling Sleipnir and various other shapeshifting adventures.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!