Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

Well, Wikipedia is backpeddaling. Two editors changed their votes. Ryulong might not get banned.

They've published the final decision and he's gone. The main anti-GG arb member even voted to ban in the end probably due to him trying to get a moderately GG related page deleted.

They went from permaban to banned for a year.

Pretty sure it always had a right to appeal after a year clause and that has not changed, but they are otherwise permanent bans:

Scope of standard topic ban (I)

2.1) Any editor subject to a topic-ban in this decision is indefinitely prohibited from making any edit about, and from editing any page relating to, (a) Gamergate, (b) any gender-related dispute or controversy, © people associated with (a) or (b), all broadly construed. These restrictions may be appealed to the Committee only after 12 months have elapsed from the closing of this case.

Wiki doesn't do permanent bans. Always been a waiting period.

That's pretty heartbreaking. sad.png

I don't really see it that way, I think it just highlights how retarded these people are.

Fun fact: I made sure to use the word retarded in the above statement because then they'll accuse me of being ableist, and the irony will be fan-****ing-tastic.

I'm sure you've just internalized ableism or something.

So - rather than infer either the use of sarcasm or the intentional use of rhetoric- is the ableist reference intended to highlight the nature of sexism in the gaming industry? Text is always awkward, and as the topic at hand affects dreams, careers and passion, I would rather not assume meaning. The reality - whether gaming, the arts in general, generative or creative avenues of vocation all the way to almost every sector of our western economy gender and sexism certainly stratify and divide. So - it is hopeful - whenever such conversation can occur with respect and civility to help us all see how we are both complicit and part of the solution. Or such is the hope as one who usually sits in the lofty heights in the Roost far above the sandbox known as WoT ...

That would be great but does anyone think that the people that call themselves journalists nowadays are capable of having them? and I don't mean just gaming journalism but journalism in general as it has become more "yellowed" in general. I really think we need to demand a higher standard of quality from the people that are to be spokespersons for the industry.

I'm pretty sure Fio just means here (and I think he's also missing some context regarding Longknife's post), although it would be great if we could actually have these conversations with respect and civility with journalists too. If we had been able to have that conversation with them, all of this could have been prevented.

Heh, so wonder how long until they nuke this thread and the topic.

I highly doubt it. This thread actually comes up rarely (pretty sure it hasn't even been pruned once), and if it does it's because people are posting screencaps with uncensored profanity. You can disagree with that rule but you do have to follow it. Glad other people pointed it out in this thread, even if they may have done so only out of frustration.

https://twitter.com/megaspacepanda/status/560595840528433152

/crosses fingers that it is about the funneling of entry money in IndieCade. This might be huge.

//edit:

1422516075885-1.png

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Was it about an argument about ethics in journalism? Was the perpetrator rightously triggered by feeling harrassed?

In a nutshell, the university had a video game club, and a sort of festival for clubs to introduce and solicit themselves to the community. This guy ran the video game club and had a stand or whatever set up like everyone else, this girl with bright red hair approached him and asked him a bunch of questions about feminism in gaming and about GamerGate. When the Gamergate question came, he said he was pro GG, she said she was anti, and left shortly after.

Later, when he wasn't in the club room or whatever, she apparently returned and maced one of the club members, and the mace got in the air filter and had made the room a tad polluted.

On one hand actions of an individual do not represent a group. On the other, it's very ironic that there's a narrative of GG being violent, and the first recorded incident of violence from either side is on anti-GG.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Was it about an argument about ethics in journalism? Was the perpetrator rightously triggered by feeling harrassed?

In a nutshell, the university had a video game club, and a sort of festival for clubs to introduce and solicit themselves to the community. This guy ran the video game club and had a stand or whatever set up like everyone else, this girl with bright red hair approached him and asked him a bunch of questions about feminism in gaming and about GamerGate. When the Gamergate question came, he said he was pro GG, she said she was anti, and left shortly after.

Later, when he wasn't in the club room or whatever, she apparently returned and maced one of the club members, and the mace got in the air filter and had made the room a tad polluted.

On one hand actions of an individual do not represent a group. On the other, it's very ironic that there's a narrative of GG being violent, and the first recorded incident of violence from either side is on anti-GG.

Sounds like it was all staged.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sounds like it was all staged.

Clearly!

Oh and just cause it's all word-of-mouth and not exactly something being cited from a news report, here's another link to some of the evidence suggesting it's not a bogus story: http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2u17mr/real_life_macing_event_verified_best_they_can_by/co49jde

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

I'm pretty sure Fio just means here (and I think he's also missing some context regarding Longknife's post), although it would be great if we could actually have these conversations with respect and civility with journalists too. If we had been able to have that conversation with them, all of this could have been prevented.

I think TN is both correct about my ignorance in the complexity of Longknife's post and also the more general aspect of my hope for conversation. Regardless of how one interacts or posts, we still have agency and do not have to perpetuate a form of communication that is divisive and harmful, regardless of context. In respect to the topic - therefore - not necessarily some of the ensuing context, sexism itself is perpetuated when we do not individually (and collectively) claim the choice we have when confronting it.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Well, Wikipedia is backpeddaling. Two editors changed their votes. Ryulong might not get banned.

Not surprising, apparently the male dominated Wikipedia purged itself of the feminists for reasons that must only be because of feminism. Then again, was reading people commenting that it is ok to break a site's policies if it is to...uh..defend yourself from hate groups.

I'd thought these people would be against ends-justify-the-means thinking, but there you go

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not surprising, apparently the male dominated Wikipedia purged itself of the feminists for reasons that must only be because of feminism. Then again, was reading people commenting that it is ok to break a site's policies if it is to...uh..defend yourself from hate groups.

I'd thought these people would be against ends-justify-the-means thinking, but there you go

Quite consistent with the consumer hate group that anti-GG are becoming however, with their elitist attitude, unflinching scorn for the diverse masses whom happen to play games recreationally and their judgemental dogma such twisting of the truth and bending of policies is a natural side effect. They believe they are righteous, even though they champion corruption and demonisation of millions, and ergo any action they undertake whether it be doxing, death threats, assault with mace, ending someones employment or condoning death camps and the Nazis, is righteous in their eyes.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

There is no back pedalling, there cannot be any back pedalling (for a year, at least), the decision is final, the votes are counted, the fat lady is sitting back down having a Gin & Tonic while letting her vocal cords rest, the janitor is picking up the empty popcorn containers: it is over*.

In any case Ryulong self ejected before the ban was official- his attempt to get the Adland article deleted was probably a pre emptive kamikaze once he saw which way the wind was blowing and his user page now has the same message that NBSBaranof put on his.

*Which may not stop people from trying to re-litigate it, but under wiki rules it's a final decision by their equivalent of a Supreme Court.

Washington Post article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/01/29/gamergate-wikipedia-and-the-limits-of-human-knowledge/

This ride will never end.

//edit: I found this image beautiful though:

B8jQ9mPIAAEKxEz.jpg

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"Law and Order" will have an episode featuring GamerGate: https://archive.today/h0KOA

Let me guess: this independent developer is faced by a horde of angry anonymous men that hate because....reasons. The episode ends with a hint that the campaign is led by a cabal of the worst kind: old, white men that do not want any uppity women in their ranks.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Here you go:

So after the update, just a bunch of people from that Domestic Women's Violence group acting dumb as hell, not an intentional attack.

"Law and Order" will have an episode featuring GamerGate: https://archive.today/h0KOA

Let me guess: this independent developer is faced by a horde of angry anonymous men that hate because....reasons. The episode ends with a hint that the campaign is led by a cabal of the worst kind: old, white men that do not want any uppity women in their ranks.

:lol:  Ouch, now GG is on Law and Order :SVU

This will be about harassment and some kind of abuse because that series focuses on those types of  crimes. You boys will become even more vilified after that  ;)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That article is surprisingly neutral coming from Polygon. That episode sounds like a whole lot of slander. The only physical assaults in this whole debacle have been against GamerGate supporters.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

:lol:  Ouch, now GG is on Law and Order :SVU

This will be about harassment and some kind of abuse because that series focuses on those types of  crimes. You boys will become even more vilified after that  ;)

I am not worried since Baroth said that he will rescue us by the time the pogroms starts.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Will be pretty cut and dry, I am guessing. Poor female victim sells well, after all.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Does anyone watch Law & Order anymore?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands