Dragon Age: Inquisition

Blarghagh

Yeah this is why I never complain about a game being too short.  Bioware clearly felt they needed to make a 100+hour game here, despite the fact they've been doing 40+ hour games for years now.  And really it just meant we got 60+ hours of boring crap.  

I haven't even finished it, I've stalled out.  Maybe I'll get around to it sometime, but I can't even think about trying a new character because of all the grinding.

I'm not going to complain too loudly though.  Some parts were a real blast, and I definitely got my moneys worth.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 2

Yeah this is why I never complain about a game being too short.  Bioware clearly felt they needed to make a 100+hour game here, despite the fact they've been doing 40+ hour games for years now.  And really it just meant we got 60+ hours of boring crap.  

I haven't even finished it, I've stalled out.  Maybe I'll get around to it sometime, but I can't even think about trying a new character because of all the grinding.

I'm not going to complain too loudly though.  Some parts were a real blast, and I definitely got my moneys worth.

I feel like they've got a checkbox ticker overseeing things and they decided the game needed some open world.

Those parts are both the weakest in the game and the most time consuming. The plot missions are as good as any Bioware has done.

At the very least it needed some better balance between the two.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think one Hinterlands type area was all they needed.  They should have made the other areas smaller and more focused, like that one swamp region.  I did everything in the Hinterlands, and then I did everything on the Sword Coast, and by the time I went to the next big area I was exhausted.  

• Like 1

I think it's brilliant what they did but needed sign-posting. As I mentioned before, you could easily do three playthroughs of DA:I, get the full story and barely have to replay any of the same areas. Replaying the same levels is what usually turns me off of replays, even making different choices that have reactions like in Alpha Protocol, too much been there and done that. If I'd known ahead of time how little impact the areas have on anything I'd have rolled more characters and tried different world states (would have likely felt more balanced too), but like most people I burned myself out doing everything in one go. I still love DA:I but that seemed like a wasted... experience, I guess. Or maybe that was just me.

Edited by Serrano
  • Like 1

I think one Hinterlands type area was all they needed.  They should have made the other areas smaller and more focused, like that one swamp region.  I did everything in the Hinterlands, and then I did everything on the Sword Coast, and by the time I went to the next big area I was exhausted.  

Someone mentioned the balance between story and open world, and I think now that I've had time to digest it, that's my biggest issue with it.

Had they cut down on the open world area maps, maybe reduce it by two or three (did we really need two desert maps, two "forest" maps, etc?), and instead used that time/resources to flesh out the main quest a bit (maybe add another string or two to further flesh out Corypheus or to build up to the Royal Ball in Orlais instead of just instantly getting an invite), the main quest would have felt more complete and the open world stuff wouldn't have felt so overwhelming.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I was watching my friend play through the first 2 hours or so and I was very underwhelmed.. It looked like a singleplayer MMO to be honest, I never really felt like it was a world I wanted to explore.. the combat, spawning of enemies and very combat oriented world building - it felt very gamey.

Seems Bioware took all the wrong lessons from Knights of The Old Republic.

Fortune favors the bald.

EA's quarterly report has DAI being the most successful launch of a Bioware game ever. So congrats Bioware, I guess.

This is really good news as it means that EA and therefore Bioware will continue to be committed to the DA franchise

Any development of the fantasy RPG genre I fervently support 

• Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

EA's quarterly report has DAI being the most successful launch of a Bioware game ever. So congrats Bioware, I guess.

This is really good news as it means that EA and therefore Bioware will continue to be committed to the DA franchise

The all inclusive pansexual fantasy world?

Seriously though, good for them.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It looked like a singleplayer MMO to be honest

It pretty much is.

And I beat the game after having done almost all of the side content.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

The all inclusive pansexual fantasy world?

Seriously though, good for them.

I have to be honest I have no idea what you mean by pansexual? 

I looked the word up but I don't get the connection to DA:I ?

So at least I learnt a new word today :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have to be honest I have no idea what you mean by pansexual? 

I looked the word up but I don't get the connection to DA:I ?

So at least I learnt a new word today :)

To put it in perspective with a quote from the film Plunkett and Macleane:

Macleane: Still swinging both ways, Rochester?

Lord Rochester: Jamie, I swing every way.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have my complaints about it, but DA:I is a pretty fantastic game.  It was a much better experience than DA2.  So I'm glad to see it is doing well, and hopefully they continue to improve the franchise moving forward.  

Someday I may even finish it.

• Like 2

It was a much better experience than DA2. 

So is tapdancing on broken glass. :p

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

And then sold the resulting piece at a fine art exhibit.

Don't laugh so much about that until you've travelled on the metro train in Mexico City. You actually have the panhandlers get on the train, put out a small cloth full of broken glass, and basically cut themselves up on it , and they stop and move on when people give them loose change.

Don't laugh so much about that until you've travelled on the metro train in Mexico City. You actually have the panhandlers get on the train, put out a small cloth full of broken glass, and basically cut themselves up on it , and they stop and move on when people give them loose change.

:aiee:

Yup. It's a little bit disturbing.

But, different cultures, there's always going to be weird things from someone's perspective.

Thanks for sharing this information, you've made me feel a little better about being a psychopath.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif