What you did today

LadyCrimson

Happy New Year!

I ended up dring two sodas. After not having touched unhealthy stuff for 61 days, they tasted SOOOOOOOOO good. I did not have any sweets or anything of the sort even though I had access to an incredible amount of different kinds of unhealthy stuff. I thought that the two sodas were enough for one day.

Just uploaded the videos of new years eve fireworks from my camera to my computer. 

Muzzle blast of the mortar launching the bomb. We could feel the blasts in our chests and the pressure waves blew the snow off the trees. 

Bottom right corner a snow shovel for size comparison. 

mortar3_zps0346d188.jpg

mortar1_zpsff1d24ed.jpg

Bomb goes off in the sky. The fireworks easily made explosions with more than 300 meters diameter, it was much bigger than it looks in the photo. 

firework_zps2b7e92f3.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Tossed roast in the oven, watching the Rose Parade on HGTV. Scott and Drew make funny hosts, better than network hosts. Love Boat float, omg. Not that I'm into parades much...just something to do while waking up.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Very busy today. I've got the Winter Classic at 12, go Blackhawks, then the Rose Bowl go FSU, then the Sugar Bowl, go Bama. I may not get out of this chair all day.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just uploaded the videos of new years eve fireworks from my camera to my computer. 

Muzzle blast of the mortar launching the bomb. We could feel the blasts in our chests and the pressure waves blew the snow off the trees. 

mortar3_zps0346d188.jpg

mortar1_zpsff1d24ed.jpg

Bomb goes off in the sky. The fireworks easily made explosions with more than 300 meters diameter, it was much bigger than it looks in the photo. 

firework_zps2b7e92f3.jpg

Looks like a nuclear bomb to me.

Woldan's pictures hurt my hungover self more than the light outside.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

mortar3_zps0346d188.jpg

mortar1_zpsff1d24ed.jpg

firework_zps2b7e92f3.jpg

Guess this big bomb stuff is why I heard in the news right now that 3 people died yesterday night.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Guess this big bomb stuff is why I heard in the news right now that 3 people died yesterday night.

Probably. The only real danger is loading another shell while there is still smoldering residue from the previous shot in the barrel. You load another one and it goes off while a part of your body is directly in front of or inside (hand) the barrel, in the worst and dumbest case your head. Then you're totally dead.

But I'm not stupid, I inspect the barrel after each shot and wipe it with a wet ramrod that extinguishes any flames, I also remove the residue with a brush and make sure no body part is covering the muzzle. The same danger exists when firing muzzle loaders and I love shooting those. 

That used to be a problem in the 1700's, sometimes while loading cannons in the battlefield the cannon would discharge prematurely killing the loader, the cannon barrels got so hot from the firing quickly that the charge would ignite due to the heat, or an ember sitting in the chamber ignite the powder, killing the guy loading the projectile. In dramatic cases the charge went off before the ball was firmly seated against it which resulted in a so called hollow-charge, which pretty much turned the cannon into a giant pipe bomb often killing the entire crew. Thats why cannons of brass were still made when high quality steel was readily available, brass tends to bulge, steel tends to shatter, with the latter being much more dangerous to the crew in case of a dramatic failure. But thats another story. 

What I'm trying to say is ignorant and stupid people handling powerful things is a recipe for disaster. You have to know what you are doing and what you're dealing with. 

Edited by Woldan

Cat: "Roast beef! Roast beef!" (it's actually a bunch of meow's and paw-pats, I'm translating)

Me: "Here." (hand-feeds a few bits)

Cat: "Roast beef! Roast beef!"

Me: (put more pieces on a paper towel, set on floor)

Cat: (eyes paper towel dubiously, eats just a couple pieces, stares some more, then...) "Roast beef! Roast beef!"

Me: (pointing) "Right there." (cat goes on staring/begging, watching my hands) (I finally give in, hand feed him)

...PaperTowelIsScary phobia?

The roast beef was excellent, tho.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Bought Fallout New Vegas for a friend who off-handedly mentioned they wanted it.

Cuz best game ever.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Bought Fallout New Vegas for a friend who off-handedly mentioned they wanted it.

Cuz best game ever.

I keep a handful of spare copies for giving out to fools who don't yet have it.

• Like 4

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Cuz best game ever.

Nope,  Tribes is the best game ever.

At work, not many people are. Surprised really, as my office is populated with some work obsessed people.  Should be a nice quiet day, well if the remaining coworkers shut the hell up.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

@Woldan - I keep staring at your avatar. Is that based on the fable whereby a helpful frog is stung to death by a scorpion?

• Like 1

Yes. If you visit my profile page you can see a bigger version of it.

What I did: played some DA:I, now I'm doing 95kg front squats and a ton of weighted crunches + weighted oblique crunches. Core day is fun.

Edited by Woldan

I went and arranged my classroom for the return to work, then went for a long run, and now I'm enjoying some salami, cheese, and apples with a glass of chardonnay.

Wait, salami and chardonnay?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I went and arranged my classroom for the return to work, then went for a long run, and now I'm enjoying some salami, cheese, and apples with a glass of chardonnay.

Wait, salami and chardonnay?

The chardonnay was already uncorked, forgive me my transgression.  I would typically open a bottle of red for such meat.  

• Like 1

I woke up with a swollen eyelid. I look like Thom ****ting Yorke.

This reminds me of a two and a half men episode. Has one of your friends or relatives been sleeping with a hot Satanist?

This morning, for some reason, I've been idly wondering how some superheros ("superhuman" powered) stay so mega-muscularly buff all the time. I mean, they don't seem governed by the same laws of physics as us normal folk, so what is building up all that visible muscle? 800-ton barbells? Is flying or running at sonic speeds with seemingly zero effort and not even a slight sweat a good workout?

It's steroids

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This morning, for some reason, I've been idly wondering how some superheros ("superhuman" powered) stay so mega-muscularly buff all the time. I mean, they don't seem governed by the same laws of physics as us normal folk, so what is building up all that visible muscle? 800-ton barbells? Is flying or running at sonic speeds with seemingly zero effort and not even a slight sweat a good workout?

There is a rare genital mutation where people have twice the muscle tissue of a normal person.  Happens to certain dog breeds too. This dog has not spent a single minute in a gym (ands its a female)

BULLYWHIPPET2.jpg

(Imagine actually doing exercises with these dogs (car pulls etc.), they would explode.

So superheroes truly are mutants.

Edited by Woldan

It's the same thing. Bruce Banner was experimenting on human performance enhancement, just like Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire.

Actually Bonds might have used the same radiation: 

1) Started out skinny & nice, check

2) Ended up big and an asshle, check 

3) Lied to everyone about his secret, check

4) Unable to speak in complete sentences, check

5) Refers to himself in the 3rd person, check.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell