Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Disney's PR section has been doing extremely bad. The same thing happened with Tangled, it was a fairly straightforward story with a bit of adventure and heart but the ads made it look like just another lame CG fairytale parody like the Shrek sequels. Frozen's pretty good, though. Not so good to deserve the rabid fanbase it has but it's pretty good - I like how it subverts a lot of the traditional Disney movie tropes. Check out Big Hero 6, it's also quite good. Disney's CG department has been doing really well, in fact. Wreck-it Ralph was also good.

I was reading an interview with the Big Hero 6 people who said since Disney bought Pixar they've been able to have a better look at how they did things, and basically took everything good they could while keeping what they figured worked better at Disney, and its paid off immensely.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The castles didn't bother me as much as the creating life thing and simply glossing it over. I'd say Olaf and that abominable snowman were a pretty big deal. She created living, thinking creatures!

Yeah, that, too.

Actually, the thing that probably bothered me the most about the movie was...weirdly, Elsa's voice actress. I didn't see anything of the movie besides dumb commercials, and so shouldn't really have had any expectations of what her voice was gonna sound like...but man, her voice seemed really out of sync with her character sometimes. I thought she sounded fine in "Let it Go", but it was making me physically uncomfortable listening to her in both parts of "For the First Time in Forever". It probably didn't help that her lyrics were pretty crappy both times, but even so. That might've just been me, though.

...that, and her throwing away her totally dope looking queen's dress in exchange for the comparatively silly-looking ice gown. But uh, that's a relatively minor complaint in the grand scheme of things, I guess. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I own both Frozen and Tangled and have never actually watched them in full.  There are some parts that catch my interest when the kids are watching them, but I don't think they are really geared for the mid 30's male demographic.  

Wreck it Ralph and Big Hero 6, on the other hand, are in my wheelhouse.  They are amazing.

I'm considering watching Birdman. Thoughts?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Re: Frozen - that film would have been a lot better without Olaf the snowman and the little rock trolls. The reindeer was cute however. Not sure why they needed both the reindeer and Olaf...it felt more of a showcase for the snazzy music scene bits and should've focused more on the sisters. It's ok/mildly watchable, but definitely not worthy of the hype.

Tangled was, imo, somewhat better than Frozen because it was more focused, even if more typical in plot. Also, it was funny. ;p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I was actually completely prepared to hate Olaf based on the previews but the little guy won me over and he's by far my favourite element of the movie. Possibly because he's such a punching bag and everything he does is pretty much black humor. Those silly rock trolls were totally out of place though. Weird stone smurfs ruining the flow of the movie with a song lighthearted song about matchmaking right when the drama has started happening.

EDIT:

I was reading an interview with the Big Hero 6 people who said since Disney bought Pixar they've been able to have a better look at how they did things, and basically took everything good they could while keeping what they figured worked better at Disney, and its paid off immensely.

Missed this post before, sorry. A lot of it has to do with Lasseter now being the lead of both studios, essentially. Ever since Bolt the Disney team has been doing really well. I think with Big Hero 6 they looked very hard at Dreamworks instead, though, because that movie is essentially just How To Train Your Dragon reimagined as a superhero movie. :lol:

Edited by TrueNeutral

The castles didn't bother me as much as the creating life thing and simply glossing it over. I'd say Olaf and that abominable snowman were a pretty big deal. She created living, thinking creatures!

Yeah, that, too.

Actually, the thing that probably bothered me the most about the movie was...weirdly, Elsa's voice actress. I didn't see anything of the movie besides dumb commercials, and so shouldn't really have had any expectations of what her voice was gonna sound like...but man, her voice seemed really out of sync with her character sometimes. I thought she sounded fine in "Let it Go", but it was making me physically uncomfortable listening to her in both parts of "For the First Time in Forever". It probably didn't help that her lyrics were pretty crappy both times, but even so. That might've just been me, though.

...that, and her throwing away her totally dope looking queen's dress in exchange for the comparatively silly-looking ice gown. But uh, that's a relatively minor complaint in the grand scheme of things, I guess. :p

Yeah the Queens dress was much better than the ice dress she made.  :shifty:

Anyhow, regarding the castle and the path, given that Elsa was in control of the storm itself, my thought is that she created the path subconsciously simply by traveling.  When she found a spot she liked and created a castle, her subconscious formed the storm to make it accessable.

Didn't really mind them not dealing with the ramifications of creating Olaf (the film wasn't "The Ramifications of Creating Olaf" after all), but they gloss over a lot of details to fit in songs and tell the story.

I own both Frozen and Tangled and have never actually watched them in full.  There are some parts that catch my interest when the kids are watching them, but I don't think they are really geared for the mid 30's male demographic.  

Wreck it Ralph and Big Hero 6, on the other hand, are in my wheelhouse.  They are amazing.

I liked all 4.  Tangled is a fun, fun film.  The bit with Rapunzel leaving the tower for the first time is one of the most hilarious sequences in recent animated films IMO.  Frozen is one of the few animated heavily musical films I've liked - and there's a lot to like in it - BUT I think its overladden in songs at the begining at the expense of spending some more time with the characters.  Wreck It Ralph is a fun story AND fun as a video game fan, and Big Hero 6 is a blast - a very good take on the superhero genre.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah...that was rough.  But you know its a good animated film when you feel stuff like that.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah the Queens dress was much better than the ice dress she made.  shifty.gif

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I was pretty serious regarding that comment. The Queen outfit was, I thought, pretty darned cool looking; reminded me a little - not a lot, but just enough - of later Roman (early-mid Byzantine) royalty clothing. I may be a little biased in that regard. tongue.png

Anyhow, regarding the castle and the path, given that Elsa was in control of the storm itself, my thought is that she created the path subconsciously simply by traveling.  When she found a spot she liked and created a castle, her subconscious formed the storm to make it accessable.

I, um...rewatched Frozen again and discovered it was actually Kristoff who knew where she went - because apparently that's where the storm seemed most concentrated or something (even though it always looked relatively calm and peaceful when the castle was actually being shown...eye of the storm-type thing, I suppose?). So I guess that makes sense.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

^ I'm not kidding, that original outfit was cool looking.  The dress Elsa makes later was okay, I guess, but the original dress was much cooler looking (IMO). 

Once you mentioned it, I rememberd about the storm thing.

• Like 1

Saw Taken 2, got a good laugh of the daughter chucking grenades all over the place - apparently a common thing in Istanbul.  But Liam Neeson killing people is always fun to watch on a Sunday afternoon

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Heh. For the Short film surprise...

io9 - Holy Hell This Power Rangers Reboot is Dark as F...

(I won't actually link in the NSFW version here, but leave it to folks who want to see it to go to the article)

James Van Der Beek and Katee Sackhoff star in Joseph Kahn's (Detention, Toque) R-rated, NSFW Power Rangers short film. We did not think the Power Rangers could be this dark. We were so wrong.

Created just for ****s and grins, Kahn cobbled together what he's labeling a "deboot FAN FILM." Writing quite plainly in his video description that this is...

...not a pilot, not a series, not for profit, strictly for exhibition. This is a bootleg experiment not affiliated or endorsed by Saban Entertainment or Lionsgate nor is it selling any product. I claim no rights to any of the characters (don't send me any money, not kickstarted, this film is free). This is the NSFW version.

We've linked to the safe for work youtube above, but really you need to see this thing with the violence it was created with, and the language. It's like Point Break's dialogue meets Tarantino blood brawls. But, you know, with Power Rangers.

If you were wondering who the cast was, here's a rundown. It's just... insane.

Katee Sackhoff - Kimberly/Pink

James Van Der Beek - Rocky

Russ Bain - Tommy/Green

Will Yun Lee - General Klank

Gichi Gamba - Zack/Black

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Introduced my boy to the Disney of my youth, first Tron and then Dragonslayer. Throughout Tron he was amazed and excited, and jumping around like a jackrabbit at the end, With Dragonslayer he was quiet and intent, I think Vermithrax Perjorative scared the living daylights out of him. He was amazed by these films and couldn't stop babbling about them, especially the Dragonscale shield scene, where McNichol survives the Dragonfire. I think that twelve is the right age for these, and it certainly seems like he enjoyed them.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Time Lapse, some indie 2014 movie about a funky looking camera that takes photos of the next day future.

Certainly nothing original and reminded me a lot of a sci-fi-ish version of '94's Shallow Grave, but I liked it a fair amount. Started a bit slow and the chrs. make some silly decisions but still entertaining. Worth a watch for its genre, imo.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Everly.

An hour and twenty odd minutes of an apartment and corridor outside it, with Salma Hayek as the forced mistress of a Japanese Mob Boss holding off the assorted killer's he's sent after her when she tried talking to a non-corrupt cop. A fair bit of gruesomeness, a smattering of torture, a whole lot of blood letting and some quite good (if disturbing) performances.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Eating lunch, watching Pulse on Starz (the US remake I guess). It's a terrible movie. Heheh.

watched the long "restored" version of Alien 3, and it's such an amazing movie, I can't understand all the hate people have for it. 

• Like 3
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I don't hate Alien 3 ... it has some ok points, including Charles Dutton. I just didn't find it very entertaining. Went in expecting a thrilling action or horror film and got...something else instead. Was not at all into the dog-aliens and didn't find anything thrilling or suspenseful. Not to mention the way Newt and Hicks were dealt with felt really poor (and I'm not a big Newt fan) - I'd rather they have just not mentioned them at all.

Alien 4 is the one I really can't stand. It was actually on TV this week and I was watching a small portion of it, which reminded me how terrible it was. Although it was funny because it's one of those films where when I saw it, I didn't know who a couple of the actors in it were, so seeing it now I was all "Hey, that's Tuco! (Breaking Bad) And hey, that's Warrick! (CSI)" lol