RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Sux. But it once again shows: If you want to make a fan remake, never ever, ever, ever, ever contact anyone from the IP owners. In this very moment they are officially aware of what is going on and usually need to do something against it to protect their property (or they think they have to, I dunno) and you will get a C&D.

/Edit: it sucks even more, because this looks like a fan project that really could have been going somewhere. These things never had been very common.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

CCP's creative with trailers.

Man I wish Eve was really that instead of what it is. 

Yep, I got the trial ages ago expecting it to be like that. Man what a rude awakening

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Sux. But it once again shows: If you want to make a fan remake, never ever, ever, ever, ever contact anyone from the IP owners. In this very moment they are officially aware of what is going on and usually need to do something against it to protect their property (or they think they have to, I dunno) and you will get a C&D.

/Edit: it sucks even more, because this looks like a fan project that really could have been going somewhere. These things never had been very common.

Pretty much. These kinds of things certainly look like a dickmove, but it is modus operandi in the business world. When you create a defunct version of, lets say LEGO, then the same procedures apply.

The only way to get "away" with it these kinds of matters is to develop in silence, rename it "Fang people: Family ties" and release it as a torrent.

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Pretty much. These kinds of things certainly look like a dickmove, but it is modus operandi in the business world. When you create a defunct version of, lets say LEGO, then the same procedures apply.

The only way to get "away" with it these kinds of matters is to develop in silence, rename it "Fang people: Family ties" and release it as a torrent.

Ironically, one of the very few times that a publisher owning the IP was gracious (reasonable?) enough to allow one of these projects to see the light of day involved Activision, of all publishers.  I speak of The Silver Lining, a fan made King's Quest revival.  Originally Activision served them a C&D, as is standard procedure, but then, after much outcry from fans of the series, they reversed the decision and gave the project their blessing, provided they change the name to something other than King's Quest <whatever>, though they were allowed to use all the names, characters, and places of the King's Quest universe.  It was said that Bobby Kotick's heart grew 3 sizes that day (and promptly shrank back down to regular size the very next day).

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

And now, presenting this week's installment of What the ****?  How the...?  Who The **** Possibly Thought This Was a Good Idea?  When Someone Voiced This Idea, Why Wasn't There Someone To Slap Some Sense Into Them?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/24/new-gaming-controller-literally-drains-your-blood

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sounds like new DRM from EA or Ubisoft...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Think of it not as DRM, but as a Parental Control system to limit the amount of time each day kids can play their video games.

If anyone has to make my children bleed is going to be me...I don't have any children though.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

http://www.pcgamer.com/far-cry-4-review/

Nice review of Far Cry 4, I loved the last one so I'll be getting this one definitely

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sounds like it still has a lot of those 'do this one way and one way only and if you miss a step you die' Ubisoft missions. Remember how annoying the Asscreed eavesdrop missions were. 

Yes and bugs; Ubisoft games now feature bugs, plus for all the bluster about the writer saying that the protagonist wasn't going to be a "white savior" he is written as the whitest guy on earth. At least Jason Brody had a personality and a great nickname (Snow White). FarCry 4 is all the bits from 3 without the fun, with all the tedium, and with worse writing. They did give you a grapple hook that eases the whole running around a mountain to find a way through. So there's at least that.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Ubisoft standardized open world design across all their games is their biggest crime. It's Assassin's Creed with guns, same for Watch Dogs.

And while I don't mind playing Far Cry 3 again with different trees. If the next game is another copy-paste job, I'm out.

I got bored of Far Cry 3 in about 2 days. No real motivation to go through all the sandbox stuff.

Steam sales have started

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Also don't understand the Dark Souls thing at all. Looks dated and boring to me. I realise that a lot comes from the save system and the combat mechanics so you have to perform well for say 25 mins to have a chance of completing a mission.

I dunno, I guess I'm spoiled. The animations are weak and so is the creature design. 

• Like 2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I assume this is on the Rome reboot engine, which is quite a bit worse than the old one. Don't know who is making this now. I thought they went bust. 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/325610/?snr=1_4_4__100_6

I am so pissed off from this. I want a real addon for Rome 2, but instead we get a new full price title in 3 months that almost looks like Rome 2 again. Also don't even bother with the screenshots, they are doctored pr shots anyway. This has always been the case so far.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Also don't understand the Dark Souls thing at all. Looks dated and boring to me. I realise that a lot comes from the save system and the combat mechanics so you have to perform well for say 25 mins to have a chance of completing a mission.

I dunno, I guess I'm spoiled. The animations are weak and so is the creature design. 

I appreciate the storytelling in Dark Souls a lot. The story is told by monologues, environment, architecture and lore. In the end you have to put all those things together and interpret them. I also love the integration of the multiplayer into singleplayer and the non-verbal communication with other players. The fun combat mechanic is just the tip of the iceberg.

I got bored of Far Cry 3 in about 2 days. No real motivation to go through all the sandbox stuff.

Steam sales have started

The only Far Cry I've managd to finish was the first one (twice). I doubt No 4 will be any different of the previous two (I already noticed "outposts", so..."meh")

On another note, Gog has been awfully quiet about Galaxy, I guess that ain't happening this year after all. They probably bit off more than they could chew by attempting to go head to head with Steam.

Edited by marelooke

I like it as it is a big slap in the face against modern gaming: Simple, straight-forward and too much hand-holding.

You die (a lot) in this game it is because you are not good enough; simply restart, train, get better and beat it. The reward itself for figuring out a strategy of impeccable moves is incredibly gratifying and it shines in this game.

//edit: I was supposed to post about Far Cry, but got lost in Dark Souls. I played the first Far Cry, which was good in its time. Didn't care for the rest until Blood Dragon, now that was awesome.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That's because it is. It just follows the old game design logic of presenting the player with extremely hard obstacles (although much of the difficulty is the result of the game not explaining anything) and forcing endless repetition until you breeze through it. Like an old platformer basically, inside a 90's action game (tanky controls). 

Combined with the utterly nonsensical and disconnected japanese style of storytelling and the old horror style gameplay (random puzzles thrown in a la Resident Evil). Even some of the sound effects seem to be recycled from those types of games.

In other words, a japanese game through and through, clinging to long since abandoned design ideas (outside japan). It also looks fairly bad on the PC even with resolution mods.

For the life of me I can't see the appeal. I consider grind and content padding (through forced repetition) a cardinal sin in game design but the japanese seem to revel in it.

For the 70 hours I spent playing Persona 3 FES, I believe story content constituted about 15 and the rest was constant, never ending combat. I beat that game, hung up my controller, and told them to go to hell. Haven't played a japanese game since, and won't until Ueda does something new.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

Yeh, the feeling of being able to beat the enemies pretty much made Dark Souls for me. At first I wanted to rage and quit and all of that, but now I love it.

On the other side, I don't feel motivated to start a 100% fresh character, though... as leveling up still results in a truckton of grind, unless you are so good with the combat system that you won't take any hits.

/Edit: What I also like is this old knights kind of stuff. Cool helmets to wear, etc. like this:

SIjXd.jpg

You can pretty much look like a cool gladiator, if you want to (well, at least in DS2).

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

Steam sales have started

The only Far Cry I've managd to finish was the first one (twice). I doubt No 4 will be any different of the previous two (I already noticed "outposts", so..."meh")

On another note, Gog has been awfully quiet about Galaxy, I guess that ain't happening this year after all. They probably bit off more than they could chew by attempting to go head to head with Steam.

They are not quiet, they were testing the beta client last few weeks or even longer. You had to be participating in Witcher Adventure Game Beta or Alien vs. Predator Classic Beta.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours