Drama and games journalism, soggy leg joint edition

Tale

Someone posted this to pastebin back in September, it insinuates that the "social justice" aspect is just a smoke-screen.  Given the above screen grabs, I see no reason to doubt it.

This has got to be some kind of joke... If not that is just spectacular. If the gaming press were not a bunch of full of themselves hypocrites THIS would be front news.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/15/6984715/anita-sarkeesian-utah-state-university-death-threats

Here is something interesting, we should all know by now about the death threats levelled at Anita that caused her to cancel her appearance at the Utah university but I didn't realize just how seriously the authorities were taking them

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Threatening to shoot up people at a University is serious, why is this a surprise that the police are looking into it?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There are groups dedicated to trolling? D:

Sadly, very much yes.  There are groups of scumbags out there that get off on the misery of others and they make no bones about it.

Someone posted this to pastebin back in September, it insinuates that the "social justice" aspect is just a smoke-screen.  Given the above screen grabs, I see no reason to doubt it.

This seems a little bit too conspiracy theory for me.  I'm not saying it's definitely not true, but it seems a bit too far fetched.  That said, I fully expect members from some of these schadenfreude circle jerk groups to be posing as both GamerGaters and Anti-GamerGaters, stirring the pot and doing their best to escalate things so that they can wank it to death threats and people losing their livelihood.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Threatening to shoot up people at a University is serious, why is this a surprise that the police are looking into it?

It is serious, but haven't  there been numerous death threats against people like Anita and other feminists?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I remember some kid being jailed and put through hell because he wrote about shooting up a school and clearly labelled it as a joke. So no surprise they would try going after the Sarkeesian threat. Problem is it could be some kid tweeting from a cafe in Asia.

I remember some kid being jailed and put through hell because he wrote about shooting up a school and clearly labelled it as a joke. So no surprise they would try going after the Sarkeesian threat. Problem is it could be some kid tweeting from a cafe in Asia.

This one?

http://www.ongamers.com/articles/league-of-legends-player-who-reportedly-made-terrorist-threat-faces-up-to-10-years-in-prison/1100-894/

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Maybe asking for more ethical journalism was a mistake. I'm starting to believe that these people are so unprincipled that they are incapable of adhering to any code of ethics or honor. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig after all.

Asking more ethical journalism, but not actually stating what one means with such abstract notion (ethical journalism) or saying that game journalism should be more like typical journalism have both high change to produce results that are unsatisfactory for those that ask such things.

When people can't get in consensus on ethical questions like is it right to kill another human being in some circumstances or is it ethical to waste food when hundreds of millions of people suffer from hunger/starvation in world. It seem bit naive to just ask more ethical journalism without specifying what that statement actually entail, as it is absolute sure that without details people will have many different interpretation what that means. And I would also guess that most of the journalist think that they conduct their business in ethical manner, so it should not be very surprising that so general statement don't rise much of passion or self reflect in the most of the journalists or even majority (my guess no data to back up such statement) people. I would say that most of what one can except is to get reactions like yeah more ethics is good, but such concerns don't apply to me because I already am ethical (people rarely see themselves unethical if you can't convince that something they are doing is unethical, by showing that things they are doing hurts somebody/something). 

• Like 1

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/15/6984715/anita-sarkeesian-utah-state-university-death-threats

Here is something interesting, we should all know by now about the death threats levelled at Anita that caused her to cancel her appearance at the Utah university but I didn't realize just how seriously the authorities were taking them

Here is something even more interesting: http://www.usu.edu/ust/index.cfm?article=54179

Law enforcement deemed there was never an imminent threat.  Anita canceled her talk because of Utah's CCW law.  Spin it how you will, those are the facts.

A gawker site against gamergate?!?! NO!

Edited by pseudonymous

Here is something even more interesting: http://www.usu.edu/ust/index.cfm?article=54179

Law enforcement deemed there was never an imminent threat.  Anita canceled her talk because of Utah's CCW law.  Spin it how you will, those are the facts.

But thats what I thought, I didn't think this was deemed a legitimate threat

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Law enforcement deemed there was never an imminent threat. Anita canceled her talk because of Utah's CCW law. Spin it how you will, those are the facts.

But thats what I thought, I didn't think this was deemed a legitimate threat

Because it wasn't.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Imminent threat is something that has ability to cause harm to people if they don't take immediate actions to prevent such harm.

But university and university's police have said that they had prepared extra secure measures at the presentation, but Sarkeesian felt that those extra measures were insufficient without checking that nobody brings guns at the presentation which is why she decided to cancel it.

Don't be sending her to England, we've allready been infested with Madonna!

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Whens the last time an internet threat amounted to anything?

If I was killed every time someone threatened me with death on the internet, I'd be dead a thousand times by now.

Seasoned internet dwellers ignore trash talk like that as the hot gas it is.

Some other people use it for sensationalism and to garner sympathy.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Don't be sending her to England, we've allready been infested with Madonna!

It'll be fair cuz you sicked Jude Law on us.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If I was killed every time someone threatened me with death on the internet, I'd be dead a thousand times by now.

Somebody on the internet once doxxed me because I said Ewoks were worse than Jar Jar Binks.

Which just goes to show that if you get threatened, it doesn't give legitimacy to your argument.

• Like 3

Elliot Rodger threated to shoot people in internet earlier this year before his killing spree, comes first to my mind. 

• Like 1

Elliot Rodger threated to shoot people in internet earlier this year before his killing spree, comes first to my mind. 

:lol:

Oh Elerond, I love your ability to find a link or give a credible answer whenever says something like " when was the last time someone did xx or yy " or "I doubt anyone has ever done this before "

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

John Milton 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrX7G-1xPLs&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRrX7G-1xPLs&has_verified=1

Going off on a tangent here.

Obvious bait to lure out the SWJs and get a LOT of free press. From a purely marketing standpoint it's kida clever. You deliberately cross the line and wait for the media storm. In the US in particular nerves are frayed about mass shootings. 

It's odd that this actually had a big distributor, however briefly. 

I guess the moral of the story is this. Without SJWs and a media storm a game like this would not exist. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.