Drama and games journalism, soggy leg joint edition

Tale

Whens the last time an internet threat amounted to anything?

If I was killed every time someone threatened me with death on the internet, I'd be dead a thousand times by now.

Seasoned internet dwellers ignore trash talk like that as the hot gas it is.

Some other people use it for sensationalism and to garner sympathy.

Elliot Rodger threated to shoot people in internet earlier this year before his killing spree, comes first to my mind. 

Is a slippery slope, up next people will be getting prosecuted because of precog crime. There isn't any real basis to put a person in jail just because they said something stupid.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/15/6984715/anita-sarkeesian-utah-state-university-death-threats

Here is something interesting, we should all know by now about the death threats levelled at Anita that caused her to cancel her appearance at the Utah university but I didn't realize just how seriously the authorities were taking them

Here is something even more interesting: http://www.usu.edu/ust/index.cfm?article=54179

Law enforcement deemed there was never an imminent threat.  Anita canceled her talk because of Utah's CCW law.  Spin it how you will, those are the facts.

Imminent threat is something that has ability to cause harm to people if they don't take immediate actions to prevent such harm.

But university and university's police have said that they had prepared extra secure measures at the presentation, but Sarkeesian felt that those extra measures were insufficient without checking that nobody brings guns at the presentation which is why she decided to cancel it.

Read the link provided, learn what a CCW law is, and ask yourself why she wants people to give up their rights when she was never in any danger.

If I was killed every time someone threatened me with death on the internet, I'd be dead a thousand times by now.

Elliot Rodger threated to shoot people in internet earlier this year before his killing spree, comes first to my mind. 

Is a slippery slope, up next people will be getting prosecuted because of precog crime. There isn't any real basis to put a person in jail just because they said something stupid.

Threating to kill somebody somebodies is just not stupid but is act that is considered to be crime in many countries which USA is one.

**** it, I'm done with gamergate. Gaming media is a festering piece of **** that should be buried somewhere and forgotten. Leave the SJWs in their echo chamber and hope the **** don't decide to bother anyone else.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrX7G-1xPLs&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRrX7G-1xPLs&has_verified=1

Going off on a tangent here.

Obvious bait to lure out the SWJs and get a LOT of free press. From a purely marketing standpoint it's kida clever. You deliberately cross the line and wait for the media storm. In the US in particular nerves are frayed about mass shootings. 

It's odd that this actually had a big distributor, however briefly. 

I guess the moral of the story is this. Without SJWs and a media storm a game like this would not exist. 

Yeah this game is appalling, we have been discussing this extensively in the Random Games section

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/15/6984715/anita-sarkeesian-utah-state-university-death-threats

Here is something interesting, we should all know by now about the death threats levelled at Anita that caused her to cancel her appearance at the Utah university but I didn't realize just how seriously the authorities were taking them

Here is something even more interesting: http://www.usu.edu/ust/index.cfm?article=54179

Law enforcement deemed there was never an imminent threat.  Anita canceled her talk because of Utah's CCW law.  Spin it how you will, those are the facts.

Imminent threat is something that has ability to cause harm to people if they don't take immediate actions to prevent such harm.

But university and university's police have said that they had prepared extra secure measures at the presentation, but Sarkeesian felt that those extra measures were insufficient without checking that nobody brings guns at the presentation which is why she decided to cancel it.

Read the link provided, learn what a CCW law is, and ask yourself why she wants people to give up their rights when she was never in any danger.

I have read that link, and I know why police could not do checks that she asked. But link don't say that she was not in any danger, but that there was no imminent danger (meaning gun man at lose hide, there is bomb in building leave type situations.). Police thought that there was risk for shooting, which is why they added extra security measures (as police don't add extra security measures if the deem that there is no risk), but Sarkeesian wanted security measure that was against Utah's law (no guns at the her presentation), which police could not offer (as it was forbidden by law) and Sarkeesian decided to cancel her presentation after she learned that is the case. She has not done petition/proposal/demand/anything similar to remove Utah's resident's rights. Only person that has demanded to people to lose their rights is the one who threatened USU if they don't cancel her presentation. People also have right to disagree with the law if they follow it, disagreeing with law usually is not seen as act to removing or even wanting to remove rights that law offer.

I found it quite interesting that you seem to worry more over fact that Sarkeesian had disagreements about how well law can protect people when she just had received terrorist threat, than over the fact the somebody used terrorist threat to suppress Sarkeesian's and USU's rights. And did so successfully, as said terrorist threat succeeded to get results that its issuer seem to wanted.  

• Like 3

Sarkeesian must be loving this fame :)

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/anita-sarkeesian-gamergate-interview-20141017

Has Sarkeesian had any affect on game development, actually ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sarkeesian must be loving this fame :)

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/anita-sarkeesian-gamergate-interview-20141017

Has Sarkeesian had any affect on game development, actually ?

Malc I see Sarkeesian is from Canada, she isn't related to you by any chance?

But the real question is " would you tell us if she was "  :blink:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Naturally, she is my sister.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

**** it, I'm done with gamergate. Gaming media is a festering piece of **** that should be buried somewhere and forgotten. Leave the SJWs in their echo chamber and hope the **** don't decide to bother anyone else.

Sorry, @KaineParker, but no can do. We're winning, you see. You and the other manboons are the ones in the echo chamber; we represent the world at large. 

:breathes the briny wind blowing in from the sea:

Mmmm. Freedom and open space. Lovely.

If you want to find a nice comfy hole where you can safely wallow in your masculine victimhood without inconveniencing the rest of us, though, don't let us stop you. I hear the MGTOW's have a project where they want to buy an island and all move there. Maybe you want to chip in on that?

Hell, if it's realistic, I'll throw in a shekel just to be rid of you lot.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

This is what happens when they still fund Humanities programs.

• Like 1

How do you figure?

</trollmode>

I've been following this scene for a looooong time. Since rec.games on Usenet in the '90's at least, and BBS's from before that.

Things have changed, big-time.

Games are no longer a weird nerdy niche thing. If someone asks what my hobbies are, I can list "games" without getting more than the very occasional weird look. (I never minded them, but I do notice the difference.) Games are reviewed in major mainstream press. There are shows about gaming on major mainstream TV. Competitive gaming is starting to be recognized as a sport.

That means that the weird little bubble that is 'gamer culture' has popped. It's no longer safely insulated from the rest of the world. 

That means that the kind of raging, overt, and often entirely unconscious racism and sexism that's apparent even in this thread -- although probably not to many of the people who do it, having only been exposed to the kind of culture that has the same values -- no longer passes without comment. Anita Sarkeesian would not have been conceivable five or ten years ago. Five years ago, if someone who's not white, or a woman, said on a forum like this "You know, I'd like it if more women or people of color showed up in games, as protagonists and main characters instead of just tokens," she would have been (1) completely alone and (2) run out of town on a rail.

Now? The violence of the backlash against her is stronger than ever, but only because the usual methods aren't working anymore. She's not completely alone: she has people chiming in and supporting her. When the backlash runs to the ridiculous extents it has in GG and with Sarkeesian, to name just two incidents, this makes mainstream news -- and they aren't buying the manboon story. These neckbeards with fedoras ranting about "misandry" are weird, and they never realized it because in the gamer bubble their views were, until now, hegemonic and unchallenged.

For the past few years, they've had to face a real challenge to their ridiculous views, and like the manboons they are, they've only dug their hole deeper.

There are about 17,000 people hating on Sarkeesian on Reddit. That's an insignificant fraction of the people who play games. It's that majority who matters. The KainParkers, Orogun1's, pseudonymi, and Meshuggers of this world are being squeezed into insignificance, clutching their fedoras and throwing this gigantic temper tantrum that we're seeing.

It's a zit. It's being popped, and there's bloody pus all over the place. Sadly there are some real pathogens in there and I fervently hope nobody will actually get killed before this is over, but ultimately that's all that it is. A zit. Popped. A while longer, and gaming will meld into mainstream culture and will be regarded no differently from films, TV, or books. The weird isolated misogynistic bubble where anything goes because hey, Internet will be history.

It's the same thing in the atheist and skeptic communities too, by the way -- too other hitherto unsullied preserves of white, nerdy men. All those women and people of color elbowing their way in, demanding representation on their own terms. Same discourse, same conflict, same ugliness, same dynamic... and same direction.

It'll be a while yet. A few years, maybe. And it'll very likely get worse—superficially at least—before it gets better. But yes, we are winning. The manboons can't stop it, however much poo they sling and however hard they scream. And I'm enjoying every step of the way.

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Put another way-- as a matter of demographics, those "gamers are over" articles were correct. 

Games are now mainstream enough that their content and the discussions over them get attention in the broader culture.  (See: the various mass-media coverage linked in this thread.)  And, thus, the content of those games and discussions are subject to criticism based on the vales of the overall culture, rather than just those of the people who have opted-in. 

In this context, Gamergate is a rear-guard action-- the folks who liked all the stuff they could get away with in the good ol' days aren't happy being subject to the standards of decency that apply in mainstream culture. 

In short, ya'll GG'ers are my grandma, wondering aloud for the thousandth time why it's not OK to call them "Colored" anymore. 

• Like 3

So I guess the future all these games about "experiences" then, hm.

Not to my knowledge.

Which makes the "she's out to take away our vidya gaems!" screaming all the more baffling.

Well, wonder what she's puffing her chest out about. Then again, being "out for" something is a lot different than actually doing it. See SJWs for that.

In this context, Gamergate is a rear-guard action-- the folks who liked all the stuff they could get away with in the good ol' days aren't happy being subject to the standards of decency that apply in mainstream culture.

Wait, how so ? What standards of decency are being violated now ?

Sorry, @KaineParker, but no can do. We're winning, you see. You and the other manboons are the ones in the echo chamber; we represent the world at large.

:breathes the briny wind blowing in from the sea:

Mmmm. Freedom and open space. Lovely.

If you want to find a nice comfy hole where you can safely wallow in your masculine victimhood without inconveniencing the rest of us, though, don't let us stop you. I hear the MGTOW's have a project where they want to buy an island and all move there. Maybe you want to chip in on that?

Hell, if it's realistic, I'll throw in a shekel just to be rid of you lot.

Well that was uncalled for. Whatever helps you feel better I guess.

Me, I'm going to spend my time embracing my masculine victimhood by training for the Houston marathon to support the Houston Women's Center and protesting Texas' assault on women's reproductive rights. Not as valiant or useful as white knighting for rich white women on Twitter, but I guess that's just my male privilege clouding my judgement.

If you want to apologise, do it by sending a few bucks here, they need it more than I do.

http://www.hawc.org/en/support-us/donate-today/

I'd encourage the rest of you to chip in as well, if you can shell out hundreds for a kickstarter $5 shouldn't be that bad.

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So one time out of a bajillion threats.

Go on.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Put another way-- as a matter of demographics, those "gamers are over" articles were correct. 

Games are now mainstream enough that their content and the discussions over them get attention in the broader culture.  (See: the various mass-media coverage linked in this thread.)  And, thus, the content of those games and discussions are subject to criticism based on the vales of the overall culture, rather than just those of the people who have opted-in. 

I don't think this was ever up for debate or questioned, nor is it something anyone wouldn't welcome.

More games for more demographics =/= the games for the current demographic will die out. Not by a long shot, so where's the problem?

Anyone with half a brain could've seen this coming. Super Mario himself is only 8 years older than myself; we're the first generation to have games as a staple of our lifestyle. Big surprise that as new generations are born, gaming turns out to be a new thing for society rather than just some thing our generation specifically is fond of.

But that's not the issue at hand. The issue is journalistic integrity alongside a comparatively smaller issue regarding the censorship or governance of art. The issue is not that websites like Polygon do include "moral code" as a sort of rating system for games, but rather that we have groups like Silverstring Media who don't seem content with having their own website they trust for morality-based reviews, but rather ALL of them should adhere to their ideology. The issue is that the Doritos Pope still sits on his thrown, and now that we're FINALLY getting off our asses and attempting to do something about it, omg wtf bbq look at this SH**STORM.

Hell, to be honest? At this point this has gotten so out of hand, and I'm almost more concerned with how OTHER journalists seemingly blindly buy into the narrative of the corrupt gaming journalists while wikileaks says "keep going GamerGate." It's absolutely surreal, and it makes me lose faith in humanity.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Lets celebrate the progressive "wider culture" shall we?

I -just- watched that earlier today while conducting a study on whether or not humanity is retarded.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I've been following this scene for a looooong time. Since rec.games on Usenet in the '90's at least, and BBS's from before that.

*snip*

Fantasy.

There is no "gaming mysgonistic bubble"

Gaming never had any "culture". Not in the real sense of the world.

It's more internet "culture", and even saying that is not accurate.

And that "culture" is a product of the fact that it was a truly free area.

The only real place for freedom of speech.

But freedom of speech means that people will get offended and/or say things or hold position other will STRONGLY disagree with.

The thought police and moral police don't exactly want that.

Feel free to see "manboons", "mysgonist" and "neckbeards" everywhere you look. Fight the windmills. Meanwhile, I'll be here, watching and laughing.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!