Drama in indy gaming and games journalism

Gorth

I'm tired of grown men pretending to not understand how internet works in 2014 and what happens when things get popular. The numbers, ultimate ease of access, lack of any leadership hierarchy with moderator powers. Unfiltered crowd. You want to draw conclusions based on the >1% (and they know it's that) that you yourself keep highlighting and putting onto posters? Go ahead. But don't pretend you're being anything other than intellectually dishonest by choice.

So The Guardian says that dealing with GamerGate there can be no neutral stance - you have to be against GamerGate.

Yeah, go right ahead and advocate more fighting and harassment, more entrenchment and baiting, more polarisation! The guy who wrote that is just as bad as the guy who harassed Brianna Wu. If I see one more bull**** article like this, I think I'm going to freak. Somehow, GamerGate is the bad guy here, while these guys are the ones actively, openly, publicly telling people to persecute other people.

Guardian's article has tone that gives clear impression that it is against GamerGate, but it don't, at least directly, demand one to be against GamerGate, but article implies that for those people that support GamerGate there is no neutral stance because for them people that aren't for GamerGate are against it.

This is given that this is article that you refer

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/13/gamergate-right-wing-no-neutral-stance

And there is no neutral stance to take on that – we are either with them or against them.

Quote is last sentence in the article.

Twitter update of the day

Here blog post that laments about harassment and disbelief that harassment happened from GG identified crowd from somebody who's tweet including link to that blog got retweeted by people that I follow in twitter   

http://botherer.org/2014/10/13/sigh/

Jim Sterling has more to say about how he perceives GG. 

jimsterling-twitter-rant.png?psid=1

Adam Heine, lead designer of Torment Tides of Numenera, don't seem to be convinced about principalities and purpose behind GamerGate  

https://twitter.com/adamheine/status/521534238886072321

What tweet did he refer to and what article is he talking about?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Can't have the mob standing up for themselves. Consumers should just consume whatever scraps they're offered from their betters table, difference of opinion and freedom of speech, they only exist for the right people in society. Certainly not appropriate for gross, neckbearded, basement dwelling, misogynistic, dead virgins, they should wear sackcloth, sound a little bell and shout to all and sundry, "Gamer, unclean."

I'm in a most strangely jocular mood today.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Can't have the mob standing up for themselves. Consumers should just consume whatever scraps they're offered from their betters table, difference of opinion and freedom of speech, they only exist for the right people in society. Certainly not appropriate for gross, neckbearded, basement dwelling, misogynistic, dead virgins, they should wear sackcloth, sound a little bell and shout to all and sundry, "Gamer, unclean."

I'm in a most strangely jocular mood today.

I quite like the idea of being a "dead virgin". No taxes and if a girl tells me she is pregnant, I now have two reasons why I'm not daddy. Thanks SJWs.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I found this post interesting as it raises some relevant and philosophical points around  this discussion

I'm not sure I completely understand all you are saying but do you equate people who want equality in games as the same as people who think a classic painting can't be admired anymore because its inherently racist ?

It's about being unable to appriciate beauty, life and most importantly: truth, because of viewing the world through a political dogma. For them, a poem by Walt Whitman is not a wonderful description of summer landscapes; it is fantasy created by the mind of a white, privileged heteronormative man that has no worries of the world and is only popular because of the patriarchy. 'Racist' in my previous example was just a random prejorative, it could be anything they do not like.

Political dogmas that do not allow dissent are the easy street in life for the mentally stunted, and especially for those that hurt, hollow and need quick fix to blame someone else.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think that's unfair because Sterling did support a lot of causes #GamerGate holds dear. Sterling really did get a lot of **** from GGers simply for not "coming out and openly supporting", as did Boogie. It's sad really.

Not really, his articles of outrage always had that hint of one to me and that locks it up for me. Oh well, maybe he will resign from the Escapist out of principle. Heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think that's unfair because Sterling did support a lot of causes #GamerGate holds dear. Sterling really did get a lot of **** from GGers simply for not "coming out and openly supporting", as did Boogie. It's sad really.

Not really, his articles of outrage always had that hint of one to me and that locks it up for me. Oh well, maybe he will resign from the Escapist out of principle. Heh.

SJWs don't have principles when it comes to their money.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Here blog post that laments about harassment and disbelief that harassment happened from GG identified crowd from somebody who's tweet including link to that blog got retweeted by people that I follow in twitter   

Picture removed because of uncensored profanity in it that is against this forums rules.

Adam Heine, lead designer of Torment Tides of Numenera, don't seem to be convinced about principalities and purpose behind GamerGate  

Tweet that he is referring to is that "Oh and **** that Escapist article giving a platform to madmen" 

Tweets in picture are ordered chronologically  so that oldest is on top and newest is on bottom. I changed it so that it would be easier to read.

I am not sure which article he refers as he didn't tweet any links, but I would have to guess it is this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/12383-Game-Developer-GamerGate-Interviews-Shed-Light-on-Women-in-Games , because of madmen reference.

EDIT: I just realized that picture of Jim's tweets has uncensored profanity in them, which is against this forums guidelines which is reason why I removed it from this post. And why I will also remove picture from source as it seem that service don't let me to edit it without changing url.

Edited by Elerond

Tweet that he is referring to is that "Oh and **** that Escapist article giving a platform to madmen" 

Tweets in picture are ordered chronologically  so that oldest is on top and newest is on bottom. I changed it so that it would be easier to read.

I am not sure which article he refers as he didn't tweet any links, but I would have to guess it is this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/12383-Game-Developer-GamerGate-Interviews-Shed-Light-on-Women-in-Games , because of madmen reference.

Thanks!

But i wonder what he means by madmen. Is this the opinion of a madman? (Daniel Vavra)

This whole concept of victimhood is bull****. I grew up in a communist country without the freedom of speech, without comic books, without Lego, without videogames, without computers, without American movies. I couldn't even learn English at school. All this was considered to be capitalist evil and prohibited. You could hardly call me privileged. And you know what? I never blamed Americans for being luckier than me. I never wanted them to give me anything for free. I wanted to be like them! And here I am, making games, doing the stuff I always wanted. I never felt the need to blame anyone.

It has to be something more though, because judging by the article above, it sounds to me that Jim doesn't like winners at the game of life.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

When criticising madmen I believe Mr Sterling is referring to the scientific research communities of Norway and Japan. Just a guess.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

When criticising madmen I believe Mr Sterling is referring to the scientific research communities of Norway and Japan. Just a guess.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

"Maybe one of the resident forum feminists can explain it for the rest of us?"

It's simple. They are sexist and love using stereotypes of both men and women.

Men = violent monsters who only exist to rape and murder

Women = Weak will creatures who need to be treated and coddled like children

It's sickening. It's bad enough feminists hate men. It's even more hilarious that they hate women too - the group they are supposedly fighting for.

Anyone who believes feminists want equality are lying through their teeth or are morons.

Equalists are the cool people.

If they did, they'd be fighting for men to have equal rights in the court room when it comes to how they are treated in divorce, custody , and abuse cases?

As for games, there are already plenty of games directed at the 'female stereotype'.  It's too bad that 'geminists' have double speak where theyw hine that women are stereotyped but then turn around and stereotype women too. Not to mention the hilarious stereotyping of men. LMAO

but, what do you expect, thoguh, when the SJW motto is 'all gamers are white male rapist'. R00fles!

*goes back to playing games*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So, you're against people quoting MLK and Malcolm X? Are you some kind of supremasist or something, boy?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I know, they should quote John Carmack instead. 

In the information age, the barriers [to entry into programming] just aren't there. The barriers are self imposed. If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers.

"Helping people directly can be a noble thing. Forcing other people to do it with great inefficiency? Not so much. There isn’t a single thing that I would petition the federal government to add to its task list, and I would ask that it stop doing the majority of the things that it is currently doing. My vote is going to the candidates that at least vector in that direction."

Chicks dig that ****, i can tell you.

• Like 3

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I know your kidding but yes,

When your using quotes such as this to support something as stupid as Gamergate you have clearly lost all touch with reality.

So... when someone quotes something that vaguely applies but was said about grander things, you must condemn a group of people for having someone that was dumb enough to quote it?

Great. You have to be against the human race.

Remember when Bill Hicks freaked about someone in his audience yelling "Free Bird"? That's how I'm starting to feel now.

• Like 1

So... when someone quotes something that vaguely applies but was said about grander things, you must condemn a group of people for having someone that was dumb enough to quote it?

Nah, my condemnation is primarily due to how much of a non-issue this whole fiasco is and yet how these people treat it as the greatest injustice of our times.

The fact that so many are quoting 'revolutionary' figures is merely the icing on the cake.

Edited by Barothmuk

I think Moviebob's parents were killed by a gamer or something. Either way, best not to give attention to psycho trolls. I mean, if GamerGate gets to say "hey we're fundamentally good, trolls don't represent us" then so does GamerGate's opposition. And make no mistake, the fact that he has a show on the Escapist doesn't make Moviebob anything else than a psycho troll. Like I've said before, it's the people willing to stay calm and talk that are coming out of this with any kind of dignity. In a few years, Moviebob won't even be a blip on anyone's radar.

• Like 3

Such attitudes sadly seems to be quite common 

For example when you read new about how police shot unarmed man, who has criminal record or who was suspected of petty crime, you will find comment section of that news article full of people that will tell you that police actions were not only acceptable but recommendable things to do and that man had it coming and world is better place with out him.

I know your kidding but yes,

When your using quotes such as this to support something as stupid as Gamergate you have clearly lost all touch with reality.

Great. You have to be against the human race.

Remember when Bill Hicks freaked about someone in his audience yelling "Free Bird"? That's how I'm starting to feel now.

He died for our sins. 

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy