Drama in indy gaming and games journalism

Gorth

Can't we even agree that all harassment is bad?

Apparently not. This doxxing stuff has to stop, releasing someone's private information over the internet is morally despicable at best. You won't ever be able to stop anon trolls who have their minds set on causing havoc, but that does not excuse **** like this.

What's wrong with these people?

Quite a lot.

I would say they're deeply bitter and rather than wanting a focus on improving the situation or to promote actual equality and opportunity, they find it easier to attack a group they perceive to be privileged and demand special privlidges for their groups of choice.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Can someone explain to me what the big deal about privelege is? I mean I get looking at group statistics and seeing one group is generally more priveleged but what do statistics mean to the individual? It's not a concept that can be applied to everyone nor should it be because it defines someone by race, gender, orientation instead of who they are.

• Like 1

Aside for the usual "nerds reacting to change"-bahooola, something hilarious was mentioned here: According to Brianna Wu, IGN and Giant Bomb are pro-GG.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This ride just keeps on giving, i tell you.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Can someone explain to me what the big deal about privelege is? I mean I get looking at group statistics and seeing one group is generally more priveleged but what do statistics mean to the individual?

It's an attempt by SJWs to shame people based on race, sex, or orientation.

It doesn't take into account sociology-economic situation, religious affiliation, or any number of other factors that can be detrimental to one's situation in life.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Aside for the usual "nerds reacting to change"-bahooola, something hilarious was mentioned here: According to Brianna Wu, IGN and Giant Bomb are pro-GG.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

What they didn't shout at nerds with enough fervour?

Femfreq just tweeted that GamerGate is just a new name for the same group that's been harassing her for years.

Huh, I very clearly remember defending her back then. Weird. Either way, that's some freaking ego to say it's all about you when most of the movement refers to you as "Literally Who 2".

Can someone explain to me what the big deal about privelege is? I mean I get looking at group statistics and seeing one group is generally more priveleged but what do statistics mean to the individual? It's not a concept that can be applied to everyone nor should it be because it defines someone by race, gender, orientation instead of who they are.

What they mean by that is if you're a man in the gaming hobby you're privileged over a woman because the industry caters to your tastes more. Or if you're a white guy wearing a hood less people will think you're a criminal thus your race gives you automatic privilege in how you're perceived. Stuff like that.

Edited by Fighter

So... when someone quotes something that vaguely applies but was said about grander things, you must condemn a group of people for having someone that was dumb enough to quote it?

Nah, my condemnation is primarily due to how much of a non-issue this whole fiasco is and yet how these people treat it as the greatest injustice of our times.

The fact that so many are quoting 'revolutionary' figures is merely the icing on the cake.

Then why are you singling out gamergate supporters?

Both sides are gulity of the same crime.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Is there a downside to that?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Is there a downside to that?

Me personally probably not, but it can cause parents to forbid their children to come and play with others. It happened in past and I would prefer if it will not happen again, because I think that it is quite unfair towards 6-17 year old kids if they can't go local gaming clubs because their parents think that we will corrupt their children. 

Not likely, even if it does, well no loss. Never did understand this need to have the hobby be mainstream. This week will probably have some nice mainstream pieces analyzing the issue. Not sure what Wu means by 'dialogue' between men and women in the industry, when she follows up with 'listening' to the women. Or how that can actually be implemented as a solution.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Morning update from twitter

Here article from Social Researcher who analyses in the article why "#Gamergate, as we know it now, is a hate group."

http://jezebel.com/gamergate-trolls-arent-ethics-crusaders-theyre-a-hate-1644984010

Blog post from Brianna Wo where she talks how she fear that "current hostile environment could be the new normal" and how she tried to talk with Milo Yiannopoulos about it in interview and why that didn't worked out. She also reveals that she used to be avid Fox News watcher. 

http://spacekatgal.tumblr.com/post/99950527903/changing-the-new-normal

• Like 1

http://www.businessinsider.com/gamergate-death-threats-2014-10

It start to feel that we have come back to time when gaming wasn't so socially acceptable hobby that it has been past decade. And I start to wonder when we start to again get concerned parents to our gaming club that think that we are Satan worshipers. :(

This article makes some good point from an outsiders perspective.

I also laughed at the comment below  

"Yet here we are: Apparently, it needs to be said. GamerGate also underlines one very sad aspect of the gaming scene. The stereotype of a "gamer" is a lonely young man who has replaced his social life with a set of animated avatars on a screen, and now has difficulty relating to women: The angry male virgin nerd, in other words.

Let's assume this stereotype is grossly unfair. Gaming is bigger than that.

But if you wanted to convince the outside world that gaming is dominated by angry male virgin nerds, then these tone-deaf responses to critics of gaming, and the death threats that have come along with them, are a pretty good way of doing it."

The way this whole thing is going on and on and some of the reasons for some of the outrage does make this quote relevant to some gamers, or at least that's how they come across

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Morning update from twitter

Here article from Social Researcher who analyses in the article why "#Gamergate, as we know it now, is a hate group."

http://jezebel.com/gamergate-trolls-arent-ethics-crusaders-theyre-a-hate-1644984010

This is a good and reasonable read, I suggest everyone interested in this debate reads it

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It start to feel that we have come back to time when gaming wasn't so socially acceptable hobby that it has been past decade. And I start to wonder when we start to again get concerned parents to our gaming club that think that we are Satan worshipers. :(

"Yet here we are: Apparently, it needs to be said. GamerGate also underlines one very sad aspect of the gaming scene. The stereotype of a "gamer" is a lonely young man who has replaced his social life with a set of animated avatars on a screen, and now has difficulty relating to women: The angry male virgin nerd, in other words.

But if you wanted to convince the outside world that gaming is dominated by angry male virgin nerds, then these tone-deaf responses to critics of gaming, and the death threats that have come along with them, are a pretty good way of doing it."

The way this whole thing is going on and on and some of the reasons for some of the outrage does make this quote relevant to some gamers, or at least that's how they come across

Let's put the shoe on the other foot and say that

Yet here we are: Apparently, it needs to be said. Anti GamerGate also underlines one very sad aspect of the feminist scene. The stereotype of a feminist is a manhating selfobsessed lying greedy bitch or an **** trying to abuse labels and his media access to manipulate the general public into supporting his probably corrupt actions: The feminazi or the corrupt politician/journalist/randomguylookingtoexploitpeople, in other words.

Let's assume this stereotype is grossly unfair. feminism is bigger than that.

But if you wanted to convince the outside world that feminism is dominated by feminazis and corrupt journalists trying to get people to look the other way, then these tone-deaf responses to GamerGate, and the death threats that have come along with them, are a pretty good way of doing it.

All you need to do is switch one label from another to make something telling everyone to stop voicing their disapproval because someone went to far apply to one side of an argument instead of the other, think about how easily the core message of a statement applies to what you support (feminism up there could just as easily be replaced with sjwing as well) before telling everyone how great the statement is.

If there is a moral high ground, it's on the gamergate side anyhow, simply because it's less organized, and the people who are harrassing people on our side of the fence are actively being condemned by the closests they have to spokesmen, whereas harrassment is generally being condoned, supported, claimed to be falseflags, or at best, ignored, by the media spokesmen of the media/sjw coalition.

• Like 2

It start to feel that we have come back to time when gaming wasn't so socially acceptable hobby that it has been past decade. And I start to wonder when we start to again get concerned parents to our gaming club that think that we are Satan worshipers. :(

I also laughed at the comment below

Yet here we are: Apparently, it needs to be said. Anti GamerGate also underlines one very sad aspect of the feminist scene. The stereotype of a feminist is a manhating selfobsessed lying greedy bitch or an **** trying to abuse labels and his media access to manipulate the general public into supporting his probably corrupt actions: The feminazi or the corrupt politician/journalist/randomguylookingtoexploitpeople, in other words.

But if you wanted to convince the outside world that feminism is dominated by feminazis and corrupt journalists trying to get people to look the other way, then these tone-deaf responses to GamerGate, and the death threats that have come along with them, are a pretty good way of doing it.

All you need to do is switch one label from another to make something telling everyone to stop voicing their disapproval because someone went to far apply to one side of an argument instead of the other, think about how easily the core message of a statement applies to what you support (feminism up there could just as easily be replaced with sjwing as well) before telling everyone how great the statement is.

If there is a moral high ground, it's on the gamergate side anyhow, simply because it's less organized, and the people who are harrassing people on our side of the fence are actively being condemned by the closests they have to spokesmen, whereas harrassment is generally being condoned, supported, claimed to be falseflags, or at best, ignored, by the media spokesmen of the media/sjw coalition.

I lol'd at that. Well done.

I see 8chan and anonymous responses to questionnaires is now reliable evidence. I'm sure by making such accusations with such reasoning is going to be very effective.

Sure you can easily reverse words in that quote if you want, but it wouldn't really be relevant because that's not the point the author is making

I see that the online abuse that Brianna Wu received that forced her to leave her house has now got to CNN. Since the argument seems to be that the abuse is equal from both sides how many founders or major contributing members of GG have been forced to leave there homes due to abuse from the anti-GG crowd? Can you guys post the links around this

John Milton 

It start to feel that we have come back to time when gaming wasn't so socially acceptable hobby that it has been past decade. And I start to wonder when we start to again get concerned parents to our gaming club that think that we are Satan worshipers. :(

I also laughed at the comment below

Sure you can easily reverse words in that quote if you want, but it wouldn't really be relevant because that's not the point the author is making

But using the logic of the author, it is a point that can be made. Throwing stones in glass houses and all that.

I see that the online abuse that Brianna Wu received that forced her to leave her house has now got to CNN. Since the argument seems to be that the abuse is equal from both sides how many founders or major contributing members of GG have been forced to leave there homes due to abuse from the anti-GG crowd? Can you guys post the links around this

http://gamergate.giz.moe/2014/09/random-gamergate-supporters-being-doxxed-and-harassed-in-real-life-at-least-one-lost-their-job/

And if you don't consider Twitter posts from people being harassed as valid, keep in mind that is the only proof publicly presented so far in Wu's case.

It's the exact same point, just directed towards the other side of the story; someone with the same views as you did something bad, now shut the hell up and end all this bcrap or you can't blame people for thinking everyone with the same views/hobbies are of the same character calliber as the worst 1% of them.

Also, "forced to leave her house" is a BS statement, as far as I'm aware no actual attempt at harming her has been made, so your point is that is that none of our people have fleed their home when the internet started spilling into their real life in a horrible way? So you're saying those people are being less abused just because they didn't run crying like whiny little girls or abuse it to get more donations (like Zoe did)? Didn't some gamergate supporter recieve syringes and white powder in his/her mail anyhow? What about the various people who are being called up at work by random strangers trying to get them fired?

Edited by Shallow