RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

So, Blizzard has now officially cancelled Titan, the MMO project that was to be the successor to WoW that they never officially announced and that had been in development for 7 years.

This raises the question:  If a game that was never officially announced is officially cancelled, does a fallen tree in the woods make a sound?

I thought they unofficially cancelled it a while back. Didn't they start moving people back to WoW?

Or am I remembering the opposite?

They rebooted development, so true in a way: last year they scrapped development to date and went back to the drawing board. So despite the headline, it's really just scrapping the work since that news, so a year or so lost instead of the seven quoted.

Yes, but all in all, seven years spent on a project that will almost certainly never see the light of day, and it's not even named The Last Guardian.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

For those who have a spare $80 lying around and are interested in push-button warfare, Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations, the successor to Larry Bond's Harpoon series is coming to Steam on the 26th, 0600 Zulu.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Yes, but all in all, seven years spent on a project that will almost certainly never see the light of day, and it's not even named The Last Guardian.

How long was Starcraft: Ghost in development as well, that must have been about seven years as well. Good thing Blizzard's released titles tend to well financially...

With the graphical update they're doing to WoW, I'd like to see them jist take the wotld they already built for WoW, and do a single-player RPG. Half the work is already done. Should be a slam dunk.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

With the graphical update they're doing to WoW, I'd like to see them jist take the wotld they already built for WoW, and do a single-player RPG. Half the work is already done. Should be a slam dunk.

Oddly enough, that's basically what I've been doing in the last couple months.  They streamlined the levelling, story, and areas to all move quickly, and I've been soloing my way through a ton of it.  So far I'm up to level 53 and it's been a blast, with some entertaining storylines.  You can even solo the great dungeons once you are high enough, and they are rich in story.

How long was Starcraft: Ghost in development as well, that must have been about seven years as well. Good thing Blizzard's released titles tend to well financially...

Of all the cancelled Blizzard games, Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans was the cancellation that bummed me out the most.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You know how to hurt me.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

For those who have a spare $80 lying around...

Of course, the Schloss Monte is awash with cash. Only the other day I found a burlap bag full of doubloons down the back of my sofa. The fact is, I tend to spend it all on hookers, vintage cognac and cigars.

• Like 3

sonsofgygax.JPG

For those who have a spare $80 lying around...

Of course, the Schloss Monte is awash with cash. Only the other day I found a burlap bag full of doubloons down the back of my sofa. The fact is, I tend to spend it all on hookers, vintage cognac and cigars.

Cash well spent

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

It will be incomplete and full of bugs. Every CA game so far was exactly like that.

In fairness, incomplete and full of bugs is the going trend in the industry, Creative Assembly just take it to another level.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

well, they're not Blizzard so they can't just admit creative stagnation is their modus operandi 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

well, they're not Blizzard so they can't just admit creative stagnation is their modus operandi 

Blizzard is a developer that has developed numerous titles for years, and chosen to cancel them instead of releasing them because they weren't enjoyable enough to play.  

So I'm not sure what you are talking about at all.

• Like 1

Blizzard stated they felt more safe (or whatever the exact wording was) developing the same 3 franchises instead of trying to make new ones. and it boggles the mind, because that's what small studios do when they get a hit like Diablo (well, of a smaller magnitude) - they keep milking it, because it is a safer investment.

and Blizzard has so much money. but they feel it is better to waste 7 years of development (in wages) than to actually try something new? and it's better to develop a new Diablo or Warcraft game for half a decade, making sure it's as polished as it can be, because their reputation of releasing extremely well polished games is more important?

what does it tell me: they can't release a game that's just slightly better than any other game on the market. their game just has to become the biggest thing of the decade. somewhat like Valve, that doesn't want to just release a new Half-Life title: if and when they do, it will have to be ground breaking.

and that's ridiculous. 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Nothing wrong with having high standards at least in terms of quality. From a technical stance I respect that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Blizzard has very high expectations, and so they are very careful breaking new ground.  That being said, they still do venture out, as Hearthstone proves.  They jealously guard their reputation.  I would love to see other major developers and publishers pay more attention to their reputation than the bottom line.  

Granted I also like to see studios take risks, but there is room for both types in the industry.  And honestly there isn't really anyone else doing what Blizzard does.  You can't really claim they are milking their franchises, Ubisoft released like 5 Assassin Creed games in between the release of Diablo III and the first expansion. 

• Like 2

Screw Creative Assembly. They make the same game again and again but break different combinations of things each time, and these days, progressively break more. 

Remarkable ineptness, given that if they just made exactly the same game and made slight improvements each time they would be in charge of one of the best franchises out there. 

• Like 2

Screw Creative Assembly. They make the same game again and again but break different combinations of things each time, and these days, progressively break more. 

Remarkable ineptness, given that if they just made exactly the same game and made slight improvements each time they would be in charge of one of the best franchises out there. 

Well, yes, they continue to reuse a particular formula, but it's a formula that is rather awesome and worth repeating. I know their games are less than perfect, particularly at release. But how long has Rome II been out, and it is still regularly being patched and improved. The other day I just got something called Rome 2 emperor edition downloaded for free.

I've had my frustrations with CA as well, but unless or until someone can do it as well or better than them, they are going to continue to get my money. I've played every Total War title since the original Rome, and I cherish each and every one of them.

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Nothing wrong with having high standards at least in terms of quality. From a technical stance I respect that.

I think they implied they didn't want to release a game that wasn't "fun" or something. as in, the issue was not of a technical nature, they just couldn't design the damn thing. that's what I'm so puzzled by 

Walsingham said: