Star Wars Episode 7 Thread

Bokishi

Re: Ridley Scott - there's a lot of his films I've never even seen, including Kingdom of Heaven. Usually because the thematic/dramatic matter doesn't interest me. Black Hawk Down was the only one I have seen since Blade Runner where my reaction was much more positive than "eh, it's ok." I'm somewhat interested in the upcoming The Martian, however.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Re: Ridley Scott - there's a lot of his films I've never even seen, including Kingdom of Heaven. Usually because the thematic/dramatic matter doesn't interest me. Black Hawk Down was the only one I have seen since Blade Runner where my reaction was much more positive than "eh, it's ok." I'm somewhat interested in the upcoming The Martian, however.

I like Ridley Scott for his photography and his excellent used of lighting and filters, even without knowing he is the director I can usually tell as it is very distinctive.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Ridley Scott made two great movies. Alien and Blade Runner. He made a few better than average movies, and a number of mediocre to bad ones. Him directing is definitely not a selling point to a movie for me at this point.

Kingdom of Heaven was ok imo. Nothing great. Certainly one of the better of it's genre in the last 20 years (but that isn't saying much). I wonder if people who've seen it that think it's amazing have seen movies like Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, or Spartacus.

Ridley Scott made two great movies. Alien and Blade Runner. He made a few better than average movies, and a number of mediocre to bad ones. Him directing is definitely not a selling point to a movie for me at this point.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. He does have a very distinctive visual style, however, as mentioned above, which I sometimes find interesting to witness, even while the movie itself doesn't really entertain me.

Also, Lawrence of Arabia is awesome. I've never gotten around to watching the other two in full, tho.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Kingdom of Heaven was ok imo. Nothing great. Certainly one of the better of it's genre in the last 20 years (but that isn't saying much). I wonder if people who've seen it that think it's amazing have seen movies like Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, or Spartacus.

True. Not too many historical epics in the last few years. That said, as a film I don't think it's artistically better than Lawremce of Arabia (coincidentally I'm actually reading through Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom) but it's more entertaining than both Ben Hur and Spartacus (Kubrick notwithstanding).

The cinematography and writing of Kingdom of Heaven is just sublime.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Ridley Scott seems to stumble whenever he gets near history, his Crusades movie was a flop too.

I loved Avatar and look forward to more.

Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut) is my favorite movie.

I enjoyed the Director's Cut as well, but what ended up in the box office was not nearly as good and bombed badly.  

Common occurrence that they butcher the movie after the test screenings.

Often it's shaky handheld action and a 'story' that advances at break neck speed at the expense of any sense of cohesion. Obviously a terrible idea with a historical drama. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Speaking of former Lucas properties...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/70166

Chris Pratt as the new Indy? I can see that. He's been good in everything I've seen him in.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Ridley Scott seems to stumble whenever he gets near history, his Crusades movie was a flop too.

Totally agree. They content they cut for the theatrical release turned a good movie into a great one.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Every time I hear they are remaking Ben Hur I just cringe. You know they are going to screw that up.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Every time I hear they are remaking Ben Hur I just cringe. You know they are going to screw that up.

Nothing is sacred in Hollywood...or legal.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Youth is sacred, hence the reboot phenomenon. 

Two different SW references on TV in the same night, one in The Flash, a t-shirt that said, Keep Calm and Han Shot First. The other, in Parks and Recreation where Leslie mentions the release date of Episode VII two years earlier, and then Ron follows up with a one-liner that I can't remember. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Totally agree. They content they cut for the theatrical release turned a good movie into a great one.

It just cannot be overstated just how beautifully shot this film is. Any director --especially George Lucas could take notes on storyboarding from Ridley Scott.

This is especially true for a Star Wars film.

I don't think that Hollywood is capable of that kind of quality in a movie anymore.

Looking at who is involved in it, my best guess is that it's being produced by some Christians that want to bring the story to a newer generation. I can appreciate that, however, I'd much rather they invest trying to convince MGM to widely re-release the 1959 version. The casting is meh, and of course there is no way they are going to beat the infamous chariot race scene. I more than likely won't ever watch it, but I certainly hope they do a better job with that remake than Ridley Scott did with Gods and Kings. Casting two prima donnas and an aged Weaver in the roles Heston and Brynner owned and Baxter shined beautifully in, just fail.

Speaking of former Lucas properties...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/70166

Chris Pratt as the new Indy? I can see that. He's been good in everything I've seen him in.

Aw damn, I just posted this in the movie thread before reading this. Now I feel slow. :lol:

Either way, he pretty much played Space Indiana Jones and that was the biggest movie of 2014.

speaking of ben-hur, is a great movie.  However, after this scene...

... well, the movie has pacing issues.  yeah, the story isn't ultimately about the conflict between judah and messala, but that is the part we most watch... which sadly undercuts the message and themes o' the movie. is more than a couple times we stopped watching ben-hur following the scene we linked. is still a great film, but we thinks it is often overrated given how it kinda tails off like an obsidian game.  

kingdom of heaven, the director's cut, is under-appreciated, but we get the lack o' enthusiasm as we believes that orlando bloom were a horrible casting choice.  as a thought experiment, we has attempted  to imagine a movie with keanu reeves, orlando bloom and jason patrick in it, but the soporific effect would likely prove lethal.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps we couldn't find a ben-hur clip that included an additional 15-20 seconds at the front-end.  is too bad as messala refusing life-saving treatment is kinda important.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 months later...

I anticipate finding out how much it sucks.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Lawrence Kasdan is the best of the Star Wars writers --he gets it, and I've enjoyed Abrams' works. I'm optimistic.

• Like 1

My force awakened.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands