Police arrest, attack reporters; order reporters NOT to cover protest. IN UNITED STATES.

ktchong

QFT:  "I’m not sure what it is that reporters want. Do they want the police to protect them when they wander into a free fire zone? The police have a lot more important things to deal with than act as bodyguards for reporters. Do reporters think they should have free rein to run around a riot ignorantly, putting themselves and the police who try to assist them in danger?  The desire to cover the story under such trying circumstances is admirable, but it’s clear that there are many reporters in the streets who haven’t a clue what they’re doing.

That ignorance is going to get one of them killed unless they’re more careful."

http://t.co/WsekKxMnwp

Answer to the question is to not be harassed by police or have the cops act like the "hate the pinko press" stereotype. Also, 'free fire zone' ? How bad exactly is it in Ferguson ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have just seen something live on CNN, one of the protestors threw a water bottle at the police and it immediately invoked  a reaction from the police to the point where they brought in an armoured vehicle. Isn't that a bit heavy handed? It was just a water bottle. What would be the reason for the police responding like that to a thrown water bottle

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have just seen something live on CNN, one of the protestors threw a water bottle at the police and it immediately invoked  a reaction from the police to the point where they brought in an armoured vehicle. Isn't that a bit heavy handed? It was just a water bottle. What would be the reason for the police responding like that to a thrown water bottle

Bottle could be full of acid, something flammable or even just piss.

Unless the cops have psy-operators who can divine the contents of every liquid-based missile hurled at them.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Bottle could be full of acid, something flammable or even just piss.

Unless the cops have psy-operators who can divine the contents of every liquid-based missile hurled at them.

I suppose so. But this also seems to linked to there policy around zero-tolerance according to CNN

And sometimes where you have a sensitive situation where the crowd can easily be  incited then zero-tolerance may not be the most prudent course of action ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have just seen something live on CNN, one of the protestors threw a water bottle at the police and it immediately invoked  a reaction from the police to the point where they brought in an armoured vehicle. Isn't that a bit heavy handed?

Because up until now the police had been maintaining a velvet glove policy.

Bruce, why are you so interested in this one, when in SA police arbitrarily machine-gun miners protesting at appalling conditions, then make up a ridiculous story that the miners had guns, then shamelessly cover it up?

I mean, this is the Rainbow Nation, right?

It makes what's happening in Missouri look like a Friday night skirmish.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Bruce, why are you so interested in this one, when in SA police arbitrarily machine-gun miners protesting at appalling conditions, then make up a ridiculous story that the miners had guns, then shamelessly cover it up?

I mean, this is the Rainbow Nation, right?

It makes what's happening in Missouri look like a Friday night skirmish.

Funny you mention that because that is exactly what I was thinking about. People are saying the USA police are being heavy handed but in South Africa 2 years ago we had the Marikana massacre which is what you are referring to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marikana_miners%27_strike

But I don't have too much  sympathy for the miners who were killed  as there are parts of the story you probably aren't aware of. Firstly the miners for weeks were making the area and the mines ungovernable, secondly before the actual " massacre" the miners had death squads which were responsible for the deaths of 10 people that included Police officers. Then the miners were  being manipulated into believing that the more mayhem they caused the more likely there strike demands would be met so they were very pugnacious. And finally, and this is weird part of the tragedy, is that many of the miners are uneducated people who still believe in superstition and magic. Witchdoctors had convinced them that bullets wouldn't harm them  and they had nothing to worry about from the police

So all these factors cumulated in the perfect storm. on the day of the "massacre"  you had thousands of hostile and armed miners who were facing up against maybe a few hundred police. The Police were obviously concerned for there safety as some of there colleagues had already been hacked to death by the miners and you also had the miners thinking that bullets wouldn't effect them, they charged the police and police opened fire.

Who do you blame? I blame the miners and the trade unions for encouraging violence. This was on them, the Police were defending themselves, I don't blame them

John Milton 

Who do you blame?

Cyril Ramaphosa. What's  happening in Ferguson is mainly just 'respect my authoritah' from police who have got used to people kowtowing because anything else is too much bother and want to intimidate the resistance out of anyone who doesn't. It's crappy for sure, but they haven't actually been using their AR15s etc for direct personal gain or to attack the crowds with live fire with 'proper' bullets.

OTOH Cyril Ramaphosa, deputy President of RSA- and board member and large shareholder of the Marakana mine's owner Lonmin- called on the police to end the strike. On August 15. The mass shooting's date? August 16.

Of course, it's possible that those dates are coincidence, but if so it's one hell of a coincidence.

• Like 1

Who do you blame?

Cyril Ramaphosa. What's  happening in Ferguson is mainly just 'respect my authoritah' from police who have got used to people kowtowing because anything else is too much bother and want to intimidate the resistance out of anyone who doesn't. It's crappy for sure, but they haven't actually been using their AR15s etc for direct personal gain or to attack the crowds with live fire with 'proper' bullets.

OTOH Cyril Ramaphosa, deputy President of RSA- and board member and large shareholder of the Marakana mine's owner Lonmin- called on the police to end the strike. On August 15. The mass shooting's date? August 16.

Of course, it's possible that those dates are coincidence, but if so it's one hell of a coincidence.

I'm impressed, but its not the first time you have had some relevant knowledge of South Africa especially around unusual political and social events :thumbsup:

Many people do blame Cyril for the massacre, in fact at the moment the lawyer representing the slain miners at the special court around this matter called the Farlam Commission say he needs to be charged with murder

http://www.lonminmarikanainfo.com/rep_farlam.php#.U_SfCU0cSpo

But these accusations are based on political grandstanding and a way to undermine the ANC because the lawyer representing the miners is a prominent member of the EFF which is an  opposition party in South Africa that espouses nationalization as a way to transform the economy

The truth is Cyril was on the board of Lonmin and he did say the protracted strikes need to be ended. But anyone who understood how harmful the strikes were also said the same thing, we have a massive problem in South Africa with intransigence around what the Trade Unions want and expect. And they don't care if they drag the countries economy down with there unrealistic demands

Also what Cyril said to the Police didn't change the facts that the miners had killed several people, they were extremely violent and they genuinely believed bullets wouldn't effect them which made them think they could challenge the police with impunity

http://www.enca.com/marikana-miners-families-face-mr-x

John Milton 

Ha ha ha for all his SJ posturing Bruce is actually an ANC / police state shill.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

Aren't most SJWs police state shills? They all seem to hate anything that clashes with their world view and believe that people should be forced to behave "right".

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Ha ha ha for all his SJ posturing Bruce is actually an ANC / police state shill.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

Not at all, I'm a DA supporter which is the main opposition party in South Africa. But just because I don't vote for the ANC it doesn't mean I automatically agree with any criticism they receive or think its justified. And in the case of Marikana they cant be held responsible for the massacre. The real "enemy " in the South African political arena  is the EFF who believe in  nationalization of the banks, mines and taking land away from white farmers with no compensation. They are populists and suggest economic policies that are tantamount to economic suicide for South Africa

John Milton 

The real "enemy " in the South African political arena  is the EFF who believe in  nationalization of the banks, mines and taking land away from white farmers with no compensation. They are populists and suggest economic policies that are tantamount to economic suicide for South Africa

Thanks Bruce! They're so cool. Can you tell me moar of your "enemies" - i do want known moar progressive forces in Africa

The real "enemy " in the South African political arena  is the EFF who believe in  nationalization of the banks, mines and taking land away from white farmers with no compensation. They are populists and suggest economic policies that are tantamount to economic suicide for South Africa

Thanks Bruce! They're so cool. Can you tell me moar of your "enemies" - i do want known moar progressive forces in Africa

Trust me Oby even you wouldn't align yourself with the EFF, check there website

http://www.economicfreedomfighters.org/

They are anti-western and anti white monopoly of the economy but the truth is they have no idea of how economies work or have much business sense. They consider Robert Mugabe  a great and significant man

John Milton 

"The truth is Cyril was on the board of Lonmin and he did say the protracted strikes need to be ended. But anyone who understood how harmful the strikes were also said the same thing, we have a massive problem in South Africa with intransigence around what the Trade Unions want and expect. And they don't care if they drag the countries economy down with there unrealistic demands"

Strikes should never be forcefully ended by the police or the gov't. Because that only leads to slavery.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"The truth is Cyril was on the board of Lonmin and he did say the protracted strikes need to be ended. But anyone who understood how harmful the strikes were also said the same thing, we have a massive problem in South Africa with intransigence around what the Trade Unions want and expect. And they don't care if they drag the countries economy down with there unrealistic demands"

Strikes should never be forcefully ended by the police or the gov't. Because that only leads to slavery.

Sometimes governments have no choice but to end strikes using force Volo, sometimes they have no choice....

John Milton 

Yes, they do. If people don't want to work let them not work. If you force them to work espicially under fear of killing or inprisoning them that's slavery, immortal, and evil.

Sometimes governments have no choice but to end strikes using force Volo, sometimes they have no choice....

Nope. Rights of the workers to associate and strike, the state shouldn't interfere. Government interference will almost always come on one side, which isn't really good in the end. Look at Air Canada.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yes, they do. If people don't want to work let them not work. If you force them to work espicially under fear of killing or inprisoning them that's slavery, immortal, and evil.

What happens when they are squatting at the location they don't want to work at and are preventing anyone else from working there?

• Like 1

Telling them to not permanently impede people is a lot different from strike breaking, though. Most picket lines hold you up for a while, at least in my experience.

What happens when they are squatting at the location they don't want to work at and are preventing anyone else from working there?

In fact I want to add to this valid  point to give you an example of how out of control the trade unions are in South Africa. Our constitution says "you have right to strike " so strikes are generally always allowed but we also believe in the " right to work" yet in every single strike the striking workers not only prevent workers who want to work from going to work but  there are always examples of people getting killed by strikers...getting killed for wanting to work. So the trade unions basically force all people who work for a company to go on strike, you don't have a choice. And that's not reasonable or acceptable

John Milton 

"What happens when they are squatting at the location they don't want to work at and are preventing anyone else from working there?"

Then you arrest them for that and charge them for those crimes. That's not the same as forcing people to work when they don't want to, right? RIGHT. but, that doesn't eman you get to shoot them in the back because they said something mean to you.

Edited by Volourn