Piracy or not?

Bester

It's that tricky to understand that for some the temptation to just get it off Kat/Demonoid exists and is enhanced if there's some BS with getting it legitimately ?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No of course you are right, I was just joking and using an example  to demonstrate how TV series are not  really relevant or critical to a persons life :)

Nobody has suggested a TV series is critical or relevant to people. I was giving one reason why some people do it due to content being pulled. If anything, it's had the opposite effect with pulling content. And it appears HBO don't care. What I would like to see is content available on different platforms like it used to be which would cut down on piracy. Not the opposite with pulling content and encouraging people to 'acquire' the episodes through other avenues.

What this does is then encourage people to 'acquire' other TV shows and those networks would have an issue with this. Just because HBO doesn't seem to care, doesn't mean other networks don't care either. And this creates a culture which is what we're seeing in Australia with terms like 'the national pastime'. That's not good when you're changing the social landscape of a country. We're one of the smallest countries in the world with a population of 23 million and yet we're on the top of nearly every list of downloaders in the world. You're taking people from how they used to watch TV shows a decade ago to a new paradigm on how they watch TV shows today.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 1

No of course you are right, I was just joking and using an example  to demonstrate how TV series are not  really relevant or critical to a persons life :)

Nobody has suggested a TV series is critical or relevant to people. I was giving one reason why some people do it due to content being pulled. If anything, it's had the opposite effect with pulling content. And it appears HBO don't care. What I would like to see is content available on different platforms like it used to be which would cut down on piracy. Not the opposite with pulling content and encouraging people to 'acquire' the episodes through other avenues.

What this does is then encourage people to 'acquire' other TV shows and those networks would have an issue with this. Just because HBO doesn't seem to care, doesn't mean other networks don't care either. And this creates a culture which is what we're seeing in Australia with terms like 'the national pastime'. That's not good when you're changing the social landscape of a country. We're one of the smallest countries in the world with a population of 23 million and yet we're on the top of nearly every list of downloaders in the world. You're taking people from how they used to watch TV shows a decade ago to a new paradigm on how they watch TV shows today.

Fair enough, I see what you saying. You make some good points around the consequences of content being pulled. I must say it is interesting to see HBO view on Pirating.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That's pretty much the way HBO works, they make their content a rather large pain to get a hold of legally.  I've had issues with that as well.  Thankfully there are these books that cover the basics of the plot, so I don't have to worry about people spoiling the storyline for me.

It's just not much of an excuse though.  There are plenty of times where I really want to watch something, so I check out Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.  If I can't find it, I give up and go watch something different.  My life isn't really dramatically different because I didn't get to watch the Mountain fight the Viper.  

Are you aware that Netflix, Amazon, Hulu is not available to more than 6 billions of people living on this planet?

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

If we are talking shows I'll just throw in my own personal experience and bugger off again:

I am/was a huge BSG fan. Got the pilot/mini-series on DvD. Then bought Season 1, then Season 2. After Season 2, in preparation for Season 3, Scy-Fy did a series of free webisodes. These were regionlocked on their site to US IPs only. When they added them to the Season 3 DVD, they were only included in US DVD releases, not the EU ones.

So I installed a torrent thingy and downloaded the free webisodes someone had put up. (I found the link to do so on the Scy-Fy website were someone had left a comment with the link for non-US fans :p)

Obviously I could have lived fine without those 10 minutes. But it is pretty ****ty from a company to tell a paying fanbase that "Meh, screw you, you are just extra cash for when we ar done with our primary target audience, so why should you get the same product (for more money)?"

So all of a sudden I am a pirate for wanting to see what the free stuff is...

edit:

In the end I mostly agree with Hiro. Piracy is easy and bad enough as it is, without companies actively alienising their fanbase. It's the whole "gateway drug" aspect: get people to pirate out of "legitimate" reasons and you start breaking the barrier for non-legitimate downloads.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

A small side note. I would most definitely pirate a car, let's say a Ferrari, when the 3D Printing will make it possible. However, since i will use different materials, only use it for my own, and label it "Furriri". That way Ferrari would be less interested in pursuing a court order on me since, well, it's not like i tarnishing their label in any serious manner. More like i would be the laughing stock in the local community.

Heck, Ferrari could even launch their own "download"-page where you can order the "right" design and the right materials, only to a fraction of the price of the "real" version. The only legal binding for the user is to agree upon naming the model with an asterisk "-Lite" in the end.

Hmm, there is money to be made here. Brb, i am busy starting a business venture!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

My Archer Season 4 Blu-ray disc was faulty out of the box, trying to play it would result in unwatchable stutter about 5-10 minutes in, and AnyDVD couldn't handle it. It was outside the Amazon return window so I couldn't automatically process a return. Decided instead to try to force a read using ImgBurn. It came up with hundreds of errors in the process and took over a day to rip to an ISO (the recorded figure was 41 hoursish, but I went to sleep a couple of times during, of course), the final read retry count was 1230 - how it worked was that ImgBurn would retry automatically up to 20 times on an error, after that I had to manually hit enter for each subsequent retry. I think the highest retry count I went through for a single sector read error was something like 170 - i.e. sitting there hitting enter 150 times. Sometimes it'd work with sufficient repetitions, other times it'd only work after waiting 10-20 minutes (maybe waiting for the disc to cool?). Fortunately after about 50%, it switched to reading the second layer, which was flawless and completed in 30 minutes, so I have a mountable ISO that I could subsequently rip to a raw directory structure.

In hindsight it'd have been much less painful to just pirate it.... Still, over 500 discs and only the second faulty one I've received, so not a terrible strike rate. (The first was obviously cracked through the centre ring and therefore a straightforward return, this one exhibited no physical flaws whatsoever)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

A small side note. I would most definitely pirate a car, let's say a Ferrari, when the 3D Printing will make it possible. However, since i will use different materials, only use it for my own, and label it "Furriri".

You would make a Ferrari out of fur? Just to cruise it to furry conventions and pick up some chicks dressed up as chicks? Because that would totally what I would do.

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

A small side note. I would most definitely pirate a car, let's say a Ferrari, when the 3D Printing will make it possible. However, since i will use different materials, only use it for my own, and label it "Furriri".

You would make a Ferrari out of fur? Just to cruise it to furry conventions and pick up some chicks dressed up as chicks? Because that would totally what I would do.

The market has spoken.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

My Archer Season 4 Blu-ray disc was faulty out of the box, trying to play it would result in unwatchable stutter about 5-10 minutes in, and AnyDVD couldn't handle it. It was outside the Amazon return window so I couldn't automatically process a return. Decided instead to try to force a read using ImgBurn. It came up with hundreds of errors in the process and took over a day to rip to an ISO (the recorded figure was 41 hoursish, but I went to sleep a couple of times during, of course), the final read retry count was 1230 - how it worked was that ImgBurn would retry automatically up to 20 times on an error, after that I had to manually hit enter for each subsequent retry. I think the highest retry count I went through for a single sector read error was something like 170 - i.e. sitting there hitting enter 150 times. Sometimes it'd work with sufficient repetitions, other times it'd only work after waiting 10-20 minutes (maybe waiting for the disc to cool?). Fortunately after about 50%, it switched to reading the second layer, which was flawless and completed in 30 minutes, so I have a mountable ISO that I could subsequently rip to a raw directory structure.

In hindsight it'd have been much less painful to just pirate it.... Still, over 500 discs and only the second faulty one I've received, so not a terrible strike rate. (The first was obviously cracked through the centre ring and therefore a straightforward return, this one exhibited no physical flaws whatsoever)

Lana.

Lana!

LANA!!!

Danger Zone!

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

That's pretty much the way HBO works, they make their content a rather large pain to get a hold of legally.  I've had issues with that as well.  Thankfully there are these books that cover the basics of the plot, so I don't have to worry about people spoiling the storyline for me.

It's just not much of an excuse though.  There are plenty of times where I really want to watch something, so I check out Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.  If I can't find it, I give up and go watch something different.  My life isn't really dramatically different because I didn't get to watch the Mountain fight the Viper.  

Are you aware that Netflix, Amazon, Hulu is not available to more than 6 billions of people living on this planet?

You are really missing the point.  More than half of those people live in poverty.  Is their access to the latest Game of Thrones episode really the most important issue?

We are talking about entertainment.  Stop trying to make it into some grand social justice issue.

You are really missing the point.  More than half of those people live in poverty.  Is their access to the latest Game of Thrones episode really the most important issue?

We are talking about entertainment.  Stop trying to make it into some grand social justice issue.

What about the other half?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

What about the other half?

Exactly.

Edited by Hurlshot

I am not going to oppose you but culture or entertainment is part of life, if you would earn just enough money to buy food/housing. would you rest of the day stare into wall if you can almost for free watch some movie on internet? Man cannot live by bread alone

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I am not going to oppose you but culture or entertainment is part of life, if you would earn just enough money to buy food/housing. would you rest of the day stare into wall if you can almost for free watch some movie on internet? Man cannot live by bread alone

Just so I understand your point; this person can afford to buy the PC, electricity, and internet connection, but the only thing they cannot afford is the software/movie/music?

How odd.

• Like 1

actual quote is as follows:

"it is written: ‘man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

am not sure the passage is working for you the way you think it does.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"it is written: ‘man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

HA! Good Fun!

I don't know-- it clearly justifies pirating Bibles.

• Like 2

That would be a valid point if there wasn't a huge amount of free entertainment readily available.  If you have the means to get an internet connection, you have an enormous amount of content at your fingertips without needing to resort to piracy.

The free stuff does include latest stuff from Reloaded or some DVD rips though, so not really mind boggling that people will go for that.   As one of you lot said, the reason is that paying nothing is better than paying something for some people, simple. 

Ah well, usual outrage over piracy.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That would be a valid point if there wasn't a huge amount of free entertainment readily available.  If you have the means to get an internet connection, you have an enormous amount of content at your fingertips without needing to resort to piracy.

Its pretty much a cultural entitlement problem when it comes to the internet. As a child I used to work my ass off for my allowance (later pay check) and has to choose how to spend my limited funds, we shared\rotated everything books,cds ... even the porn mag and boobies cards :rolleyes:

However, with internet it is soo easy to pirate content and get away with it, that content practical became free for all. You can have those fat kids sitting on their ass day and night non stop consuming tens of thousands of dollars worth of free content in software\games\video\music. Plus with our connected society the moment thy have to see\check everything NOW, a new movie\game\video came out, why wait\pay when they can pirate it for free NOW and tweet about it tomorrow... *inset excuse i.e. 'old business models' or 'greedy publishers' whatever*

Edited by Mor

Hm, you'd think that revenues wouldn't be growing then in that situation.

HA! Good Fun!

I don't know-- it clearly justifies pirating Bibles.

Which is not much as Bibles has long since become work of public domain, so every body is free to copy one as much they want (Of course there could be some translations or variant that still has some copyrights for it, but even those are on very loose bases if someone really tries to claim them to be new piece of work, that should have copyrights).

Since when did we get to a point in society where people feel entitled to pirate something because they deem the cost of it too expensive? 

Try wrapping your head around this chestnut:

People pirating Humble Indie Bundle sales.

• Like 1

One more thing to add is that most pirates are children and while yes their parents will buy them a computer they may not be inclined (as is mostly the case) to purchase every game for them especially when the games cost 1/10 of a well off salary (in my country at least), new.

Companies ramp up prices as high as they can get away with (great example is Australia(the best example there is Adobe)) and then aggressively market their products with non stop commercials that are borderline brain washing. So yeah excuse me if I don't blame the children for pirating games.

Also don't paint it out like it's hurting the poor devs and costing them their jobs(true indie companies excluded(but they don't push their products as hard as the big publishers)), the fact is that devs have a set pay and work by the hour and almost every game covers that production cost, that the ceo's and stock holders have some impossible numbers they want to reach is another thing entirely and I am not at all said when they don't hit it.

Those big companies aren't putting you well being as their main goal, so why should anyone put theirs?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP