Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Metro Manila

Most depressing movie I have seen in a while. Felt bad for the main characters. Mostly because the movie depicts a situation that has probably happened thousands of times in real life. Not literally the jobs they have etcetera, but if you've seen the movie, I guess that you know what I mean.

When will Peter Jackson stop wringing Tolkein dry?

Well I don't think anyone is going for THE SIMILARION - THE MOVIE, so I guess after December.

Which IIRC frees him up for the Tintin sequel.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well I don't think anyone is going for THE SIMILARION - THE MOVIE, so I guess after December.

Which IIRC frees him up for the Tintin sequel.

Oh you would think so. But the only reason Peter Jackson isn't doing it is because he doesn't have the rights to it.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I guess he could always just do a bio-pic on Tolkein too.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Primer DVD is going for $96, that's insane. So I bought it off Amazon instant.

Really good, the minimalism works for it. Good character development. I wish they had expanded on a few things, the party in particular.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I loved Primer, but couldn't really understand what was going on in it even after watching it twice, had to watch an explanation on UTube

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The Summit. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2363471/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

Its a documentary about the disastrous climb of the K2 (8000-something meters, more dangerous than the Everest) in 2008 where several people died and more where injured because, well, tons of stuff went wrong. 

I'm a passionate mountain climber myself but I do not understand those people, its practically hell up there and I'm sure I wouldn't continue climbing and enjoy the summit when people I know were left behind dieing. Those were total psychopaths and many had it coming. So many false decisions, so much confusion.   

6000 meters is my absolute limit. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Guardians of the Galaxy. I think this really is the best Marvel movie and I'm not going to qualify that by saying it might change after I digest the film more. My opinions usually change a little after initial viewing, but I don't see it happening here.

This is what I always thought Avengers should have been.

Teaser for The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies

Every retcon Jackson makes feels like a deep personal injury. I don't think I'll even go see it. Only exception I guess is the inclusion of more female characters. Tolkien is pretty behind the times there after all. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Did you stay through the end credits? Could you confirm for me if

Howard the Duck

showed up? I read that enough times now to think it's not a hoax.

Not a hoax.

Every retcon Jackson makes feels like a deep personal injury. I don't think I'll even go see it. Only exception I guess is the inclusion of more female characters. Tolkien is pretty behind the times there after all. 

What, you're just playing, right. The girls definitely get their due, I can think of three mad, badass chicks off the top of my head, Eowyn, Arwen, Galadriel. Tauriel is a welcome addition, not a retcon. Retroactive continuity in LOTR is unpossible since it isn't ongoing serial storytelling. All six movies are essentially personal opinions, no reason to be injured by them. No canon were harmed in the making thereof.  

All Stop. On Screen.

Guardians of the Galaxy. The best movie this year.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

What, you're just playing, right. The girls definitely get their due, I can think of three mad, badass chicks off the top of my head, Eowyn, Arwen, Galadriel. Tauriel is a welcome addition, not a retcon. Retroactive continuity in LOTR is unpossible since it isn't ongoing serial storytelling. All six movies are essentially personal opinions, no reason to be injured by them. No canon were harmed in the making thereof.  

I'm going to give you Eowyn and Galadriel by default, they're awesome. But how is Arwen badass? If I recall correctly she barely even appears in the book.

I'm saying Jackson retcons female characters into main story characters. I'm ok with that, but not with all the other additions. At some point it just stops being LotR, ot the Hobbit as it were, asnd starts being very expensive fan fiction. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

I'll give you an exanple. During the battle of Helms Deep Legolas says in desperation that he wished he had 200 mirkwood archers to stem the tide. Jackson just decided to include them in the movie, thus changing not only the dramatic context of a desperate defense but also the entire geopolitical situation of the elves leaving and not helping against Sauron (sans Legoas)

That's too much artistic license, when it starts to change the underlying political premise of the books.

• Like 3

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Hrm, that change bothered a lot of people but it never bothered me. I felt they made it perfectly clear that this was an exception, a single and last honoring of the old allegiance between elves and men. In fact, to me it strengthened that theme in a "exception that proves the rule" manner. Things such as Legolas' ridiculous takedown of the Mumakil and Army of the Dead swarming like ants bother me much more than that sequence (which is why The Hobbit films, while entertaining, are not nearly as good as LoTR - they're filled with ridiculous action sequences like that).

I felt it worked quite well in-universe and didn't break my immersion or the world logic. A similar change is Faramir having a harder time giving up the ring - a lot of people hate the films for that but I think it makes sense. In the book, Faramir all of the sudden not caring about the ring at all literally stripped the ring of all threat and power. It's one of the few changes that I felt seriously improved upon the book.

To each their own, I suppose. :)

To TN and Gorgon:

nerds-3.jpg

:p

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy and it was the best Marvel movie ever.  Bradley Cooper doesn't sound anything like himself though.

My favorite line:

Nothing goes over my head! My reflexes are too fast and I will catch it!

• Like 1

To TN and Gorgon:

nerds-3.jpg

:p

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy and it was the best Marvel movie ever. Bradley Cooper doesn't sound anything like himself though.

My favorite line:

Nothing goes over my head! My reflexes are too fast and I will catch it!

My favorite moments were:

"I don't think anyone is 100% a ****." and Howard the Duck.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Oh, okay, well I'm no Middle-earth scholar, but, I literally cannot be bothered by any of LOTR film adjustments/additions/aberrations. Thirty years ago, when I first pictured Gondor in my mind, and now to see it onscreen match almost perfectly ... it goes a long way toward forgiving the overall interpretation. Which is the same attitude I'm reserving for the new Shadow of Mordor game featuring a named character from the Silmarillion.

Anyway, movies, Polygon reported Guardians to be the "chili cheese fry" of Marvel's cinematic universe ... so, of course, since I love all three of those things, plus green-skinned females, it's a must-watch. "It won't nourish you, and you won't be able to eat it forever." I bet I could eat chili cheese fries forever.  

All Stop. On Screen.