What you did today

Tale

The fact such a website even exists makes my brain want to crawl out of my ears and hide in some dark corner.

Unless it's a parody.

But it isn't a parody, is it? :(

Actually, it is. (And does a damn fine job at it, IMHO.)

Eh, well. I didn't get it. I am guessing I'm not their target audience. -Shrug-

But good to know that at least it's not serious.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Really stressed at work. The kid I'm working with isn't well at all. It all escalated yesterday. Poor boy tried to cut off his own finger with a pair of scissors. Took it from him before he managed to do something stupid, but he was totally out of control. Couldn't even reach out to him when he got his attack. After calming down, he was in a world of his own, mumbling to himself. In a way, I will feel very relieved to try something else. I haven't been feeling well at all the last few weeks. Headache, blurry sight and pain in the chest. There is probably no way I will reconsider coming back. Boss tried to convince me not to quit, which is funny since I'm not worth keeping as regular labor and only keep for contract work. Told her that I have enjoyed working at this workplace and I have made new contacts and friends, but I needed to look forward. Most of the people I work with have already come to me and said I could leave them as reference for whatever job I choose to apply to.

I am grading tests, and I asked students to give a modern day example of science and religion clashing.  They keep saying science has the big bang theory, while churches say the earth was created in 7 days.  AGH!

Clearly I need to go back and lecture red faced for a bit.

It looks defunct. The most recent blog update is from 2010. 

I am grading tests, and I asked students to give a modern day example of science and religion clashing.  They keep saying science has the big bang theory, while churches say the earth was created in 7 days.  AGH!

Im missing something here. What makes you go "AGH!"?

It looks defunct. The most recent blog update is from 2010. 

I suppose you also get religious scientists and religious people who do believe in the big bang, so that may not be a very good example that the kids gave as a difference ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Feeling a little bummed the last 2 days, the weather has been crappy and I'm a little worn out over Uni. :(

I'm guessing he wants modern examples, like stemcell research, Scientology vs Psychiatry etc - instead of the usual suspects like creationists.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Nothing wrong with staple answers unless you specify otherwise.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Seems like you need to add more detail to the question to get the answer you want :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The Big Bang Theory was originally put forward by a Catholic priest.  The modern debate is whether it is random or there is some sort of intelligent design at work.

Even in medieval times, the church leaned heavily on classical works by Aristotle and Ptolemy, not the bible, for science.

But yes, I was expecting more examples like long term evolution and stem cell research.  I went over it quite a bit in class.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

The Big Bang Theory was originally put forward by a Catholic priest.  The modern debate is whether it is random or there is some sort of intelligent design at work.

Even in medieval times, the church leaned heavily on classical works by Aristotle and Ptolemy, not the bible, for science.

But yes, I was expecting more examples like long term evolution and stem cell research.  I went over it quite a bit in class.

Technically though, there are still Christians out there who do take the "God created the earth in six days and rested the 7th" literally. They exist on the fringe, certainly, in the direction of the sort of Christianity where people hide their television because they don't want the neighbours to know they have one. But they still do exist.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Technically though, there are still Christians out there who do take the "God created the earth in six days and rested the 7th" literally. They exist on the fringe, certainly, in the direction of the sort of Christianity where people hide their television because they don't want the neighbours to know they have one. But they still do exist.

Those "fringe" elements that managed to get "Evolution is just a theory" into textbooks?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Those "fringe" elements that managed to get "Evolution is just a theory" into textbooks?

Evolution is fact and theory.  Are you talking about Intelligent Design?  I agree it has no place in a Science classroom.  But as a Social Science teacher, it makes for a fascinating philosophical debate.   

• Like 1

That's a bit convenient, feels like a forced association between dogma and science. Ideas orginiate in metaphysics, man thinking about his place in the universe, and are only tested with the imperical method. The big bang theory would be a footnote in a long list of metaphysical ramblings if not for imperical observation. We haven't observed the hand of God yet.

If or when we do, you can credit the church with the big bang theory. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

The church doesn't need credit, Father Georges Lemaître deserves a shout out though.  But yes, the debate over whether the Big Bang was random or by purpose is definitely philosophical.

Edited by Hurlshot

Evolution is fact and theory.  Are you talking about Intelligent Design?  I agree it has no place in a Science classroom.  But as a Social Science teacher, it makes for a fascinating philosophical debate.   

IDK, I find Secular Intelligent Design to be an interesting theory . Granted its not much of a theory but maybe when they stop trying to prove themselves in front of their peers and start trying to find proof, it can become a solid alternative.

Quite frankly what Intelligent Design needs is better speakers that don't quote scripture and refer to the bible every 5 minutes.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Yeah, the I.D./Creationist proponents got those stickers put into science textbooks a while back, a widely distributed book aswell - hence the scarequotes around fringe. They can't be that rare to get things such as that through.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Edit: actually Azdeus, I concede your point. After doing some research, there do seem to be more Christians who actually literally believe in that earth was created in six days than I thought. Shocking.

Edited by JadedWolf

Edit: actually Azdeus, I concede your point. After doing some research, there do seem to be more Christians who actually literally believe in that earth was created in six days than I thought. Shocking.

But I think Hurlshot's point in the overall context of what Christians believe is also valid. For example if you google "Christians who believe the earth was created in 6 days" you will find links and websites of what I would consider are more fundamentalist views on this topic. But if you go to his church and ask the people who attend the  church " do you think the earth is only 6000 years old and  man lived alongside dinosaurs" I can guarantee you they will say no we don't believe that.

But they still have a  spiritual believe in the importance and relevance of Christianity, they just don't  take everything in the bible literally. Most of the Christians I know also have this perspective

For the record I am an agnostic but I also agree with what Hurlshot is saying

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But I think Hurlshot's point in the overall context of what Christians believe is also valid. For example if you google "Christians who believe the earth was created in 6 days" you will find links and websites of what I would consider are more fundamentalist views on this topic. But if you go to his church and ask the people who attend the  church " do you think the earth is only 6000 years old and  man lived alongside dinosaurs" I can guarantee you they will say no we don't believe that.

But they still have a  spiritual believe in the importance and relevance of Christianity, they just don't  take everything in the bible literally. Most of the Christians I know also have this perspective

Well, it depends what Christians you ask. What made me change my mind was reading about Young Earth Creationism and its popularity in the U.S. I'll admit that I didn't know much about that subject, since you don't come across it much where I live. Here such ideas certainly exist at the fringe, at the sort of communities where parents refuse to inoculate their children because everything is the will of God.

Edit: for the record, I'm an atheist, if that has any bearing on anything.

Edited by JadedWolf

It is, the most shocking part is how it's growing in popularity in places like Great Britain. First creationist I really spoke to was a brittish friend of mine that homeschooled his kids to make sure they were taught "properly".

You'd be shocked to find out how popular their views are...

The ones we are speaking of, many of them are borderline fundamentalist, but they are also very deft at ignoring things that does'nt suit them. If you were to ask people in the "bible belt" of USA, you would get an honest yes to your question. They suffer from an institutionalized ignorance of the subject, a problem wich can't/could'nt be corrected since all classes with "evilution" in them has to contain what they call "critizism of evolution".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teach_the_Controversy

A quick and dirty link for you.

Well, it depends what Christians you ask. What made me change my mind was reading about Young Earth Creationism and its popularity in the U.S. I'll admit that I didn't know much about that subject, since you don't come across it much where I live. Here such ideas certainly exist at the fringe, at the sort of communities where parents refuse to inoculate their children because everything is the will of God.

Edit: for the record, I'm an atheist, if that has any bearing on anything.

For what it's worth, I'm sorry I got you to go read through those links, some of them honestly make me depressed and furious. ;(

For the record, I'm an antitheist.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

You'd be shocked to find out how popular their views are...

The ones we are speaking of, many of them are borderline fundamentalist, but they are also very deft at ignoring things that does'nt suit them. If you were to ask people in the "bible belt" of USA, you would get an honest yes to your question. They suffer from an institutionalized ignorance of the subject, a problem wich can't/could'nt be corrected since all classes with "evilution" in them has to contain what they call "critizism of evolution".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teach_the_Controversy

A quick and dirty link for you.

Fair enough the "bible belt " in the USA is full of fundamentalists, I agree. But Hurlshot comes from California and they are much more reasonable around there religious views.

John Milton 

I haven't done enough lately. Mostly outline work which feels shamefully unproductive. But the changes to the outline are kind of hilarious in a big picture way.

So the story was roughly about these two guys that know each other, but then get embroiled in big events that cause them to go their separate ways until the end. And I'll decide if they reconcile or try to kill each other as I get further in the process.

Then I got rid of one of those guys. So it became about a single guy who gets embroiled in big events, meet new people, and try to find his place. And along the way, I added new people for him to meet.

But I still didn't like that guy, so the new characters started stealing the spotlight and I got rid of him. It became about two people that meet amongst big events.

Then I had an idea. What if those two people knew each other already! And I'm back to "Two guys that know each other, but then get embroiled in big events. I'm still not sure if they're going to try to kill each other at the end."

But I like the specifics more. I like the characters more, they're more opinionated and driven. The setting is a lot easier to work with. They have a firmer place within the setting. I mean, instead of just being coworkers at the beginning, they're trying to kill each other already. So they have that conflict right from the start.

Now the struggle to get my butt in the chair and doing more than writing technical descriptions of made up gizmos begins.

Anyone have experience with Scrivener?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."