Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Vin Diesel, if he plays his cards right, might find himself in Ron Perlman territory.

Note I said if he plays his cards right.

But yeah, Vin Diesel is awesome. I view him as 'one of ours' if that makes sense.

I'd say he's already there, he might even have an edge in a few areas.

Perlman is the voice of Fallout, which is huge. But Vin voiced two very good Riddick games, and is actually the founder of the studio.

Perlman is the leader of a tough as nails biker gang on TV, Vin is the leader of a car racing gang in Fast and Furious.

Perlman is Hellboy, Vin is Riddick.  Both have comic books.

Honestly it's a pretty close comparison.

I'm not sold on GotG yet. I'm glad they're keeping it more space odyssey and less superhero, but it seems a little off to me.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Vin Diesel, if he plays his cards right, might find himself in Ron Perlman territory.

But yeah, Vin Diesel is awesome. I view him as 'one of ours' if that makes sense.

Perlman is the voice of Fallout, which is huge. But Vin voiced two very good Riddick games, and is actually the founder of the studio.

Perlman is the leader of a tough as nails biker gang on TV, Vin is the leader of a car racing gang in Fast and Furious.

As awesome as Ron Perlman is, Vin has the edge - everyone knows who Vin Diesel is.

As awesome as Ron Perlman is, Vin has the edge - everyone knows who Vin Diesel is.

That will only last until Ron Perlman starts on his own Fast and the Furious.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I have to respectfully disagree with you.

Vin Diesel has yet to go into the foreign film scene.

A fantastic film i recomend to everyone, La Cite des Enfants Perdus ( The city of Lost Children )

Ron plays a 'slow' french muscle man.

He speaks french throughout the entire film ( much more than afew lines by Vin Diesel in Los Bandoleros )

Now i Grant you Rons french isnt that good, but luckily it fits into the  'slow' muscle man character  ^ . ^

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...

Re-watched the Lone Ranger. Still don't understand the hate. Only problem I had with it was it was too long.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

A fantastic film i recomend to everyone, La Cite des Enfants Perdus ( The city of Lost Children )

He speaks french throughout the entire film ( much more than afew lines by Vin Diesel in Los Bandoleros )

Now i Grant you Rons french isnt that good, but luckily it fits into the  'slow' muscle man character  ^ . ^

As a European, I find interesting the notion interesting that people in Europe care any more about art films than in the US. The general audience in Europe is just as dumb as the general US audience - there is no "foreign film scene", there is the niche audience that watches art films which is the same everywhere.

My point stays, everyone knows who Vin Diesel is and very few people know who Ron Perlman is (with the occassional "hey, it's that guy" or some geeks who knows he's under the red make-up in Hellboy). Don't get me wrong, Ron Perlman is a much cooler actor who can play practically everything whereas Vin Diesel is a mediocre actor who needs parts tailored to him, but the claim that Vin Diesel might get lucky and get into Ron Perlman territory? Ron Perlman wishes he was as famous and succesful as Vin Diesel - character actors like Perlman don't get much props whereas Vin Diesel was the leading man in how many franchises and blockbusters? I love Ron Perlman, but Vin Diesel is in a much better position.

Plus, I'm detracting points for Dungeon Siege.

• Like 1

"As a European, I find interesting the notion interesting that people in Europe care any more about art films than in the US. The general audience in Europe is just as dumb as the general US audience - there is no "foreign film scene", there is the niche audience that watches art films which is the same everywhere."

Exacty. Espicially since even blockbuster 'popcorn' flicks that 'bomb' in NA still seem to do well in Europe.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Exacty. Espicially since even blockbuster 'popcorn' flicks that 'bomb' in NA still seem to do well in Europe.

this is especially true for Russia, because Russians have been exposed to Western movies for a relatively short period. I still remember how we'd get pirated copies of American B-movies on film and watch them in a small room using an old projector in the early 90. back then they were the epitome of awesome.

Russia's cinema culture is underdeveloped because the Soviet old-school is being destroyed, and Western new-school is still so new to some they hardly understand it, and when trying to mimic it they get crap. Hence why movies like Terminator: Salvation make a ton of money in Russia

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

As a European, I find interesting the notion interesting that people in Europe care any more about art films than in the US. The general audience in Europe is just as dumb as the general US audience - there is no "foreign film scene", there is the niche audience that watches art films which is the same everywhere.

My point stays, everyone knows who Vin Diesel is and very few people know who Ron Perlman is (with the occassional "hey, it's that guy" or some geeks who knows he's under the red make-up in Hellboy). Don't get me wrong, Ron Perlman is a much cooler actor who can play practically everything whereas Vin Diesel is a mediocre actor who needs parts tailored to him, but the claim that Vin Diesel might get lucky and get into Ron Perlman territory? Ron Perlman wishes he was as famous and succesful as Vin Diesel - character actors like Perlman don't get much props whereas Vin Diesel was the leading man in how many franchises and blockbusters? I love Ron Perlman, but Vin Diesel is in a much better position.

Plus, I'm detracting points for Dungeon Siege.

I can see what you're saying, and i would agree.

Vin is absolutely in a better position ( popularity wise ) than Ron pearlman. In no way better than Pearlman as an actor, buts it's often the way of the world isn't it. ( good guys finish last and all that )  =p

{ edit } I think i should cut back on the amount of quotes quoted....

Edited by BLnoT

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...

Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.

I'd say it was fairly nicely done. Some of the background music picks up the emotional aspects, and Idris Elba works hard to carry the role as they travel through Mandela's life.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

IIRC, Vin's Babylon AD was produced by StudioCanal (which is part of the same Canal+ group that produced La Cité des Enfants Perdus) and Legendé, so is arguably a French production.

That said Ron certainly has a greater presence in non-US financed (or co-financed) productions (such as the Spanish/Mexican co-production Cronus) but that may also be due to the length of his career, his identification with genre films, his willingness to work in many films, and possible the fact that his first film was (again IIRC) the French backed Quest for Fire (some 9 years before Vin's first, uncredited, film appearance) as reasons for the disparity.

For my movie watching, I saw Die Farbe (2010) - an adaption of Lovecraft's "The Colour out of Space" which was pretty good when it was pulling directly from the source, but while I felt moving it to post WWII worked, most of the other original elements didn't work.

In particular the use of the tired unreliable narrator and the "Ah-ha!" end moment were just clumsy, IMO.

Then I watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 which was fun.  Not really my favorite franchise but it had enough weirdness and gags to be entertaining.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

RIP Harold Ramis

He was 69

I heard about that. Outside of Ghostbusters, I haven't seen many of the movies he's been in. Which isn't to say he wasn't in something I've seen. Just usually in small roles. But he was great in Ghostbusters. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

^Well Ramis had quit acting years ago, but I think he preferred being a writer (Animal House, Caddyshack, Stripes, Back to School) and director (Caddyshack, Groundhog Day, Analyse This) anyhow.

Still RIP.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Most of the movies he acted in/wrote/directed aren't my type of films. Did like Back to School. Although the only reason I originally watched it is because my friend had a Danny Elfman crush and OingoBoingo had that scene in it. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

RIP Harold Ramis

He was 69

He has now become the very ghost that he chased. R.I.P. :(

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Most of the movies he acted in/wrote/directed aren't my type of films.

you don't like Groundhog Day?  ;( wow... you're literally the first person I've seen to admit that 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Groundhog Day was ok. I didn't love it, didn't dislike it, had some laughs, didn't make me ponder life or anything.

Life After Pi, a good introduction to what is wrong with how Hollywood treats visual effects artists and why half of your Facebook (probably) turned green around the time last years' oscar ceremony.

It's an issue close to me not only because I'm an aspiring visual effects artist but because I love movies, I love seeing them on the big screen, and it pains me that people who made 95% of a movie come to life have to live in constant fear of losing their jobs, or having their contracts changed without recourse. Without visual effects artists, there wouldn't have been a Life of Pi, there wouldn't have been any Lord of the Rings movies, there wouldn't have been a Gravity.

Without visual effects artists, there wouldn't have been a Life of Pi, there wouldn't have been any Lord of the Rings movies, there wouldn't have been a Gravity.

am I bad if I hated all those movies? 

Walsingham said: