What you did today

LadyCrimson

Good on you Labadal.  Human interaction is too much work for too little payoff. :p

Also, learned United fans get pissy if you say you'll be glad when they "slip up and crash" out of Europe.  Apparently Munich is a sore point for people born 30 years after the fact.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I just blew through my trip budget in the first 8 hours... I'll be the bearded viking busking at gloucester road tube station ;P

Most importantly, did you remember to "mind the gap"?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

When walking around in my garden I found a strange pile of grass and twigs in the undergrowth. It looks like an animal is living in there though I have no clue what it might be. Its roughly half the size of a basketball, with an entrance measuring 3 centimeters in diameter. Couldn't find feces nor food leftovers that would give a clue about the species. I touched it and it seems to be remarkably sturdily built and perfectly round in shape.  

Anybody know what animal lives in there? (entrance at 6 o' clock)

df542c98-ea37-456d-af8d-dd775d5633ae_zps

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I've got a whole bunch of work docs to read through that I'm idling around. I know I've got to make a push on some of it, but I'm having that "I'm sinking and I need to start swimming" feeling. Which invariably leads to procrastination and allowing distractions from other sources.

Apparently they're switching out mom's gliclazide for insulin shots, so I've got to run through the "how to change needles and stab people" lessons.

Hm, Amazon UK is doubling the cost of Amazon Prime membership, but then giving you access to streaming tv shows and movies. Huh, and family members only get the free-post benefits, they have to "upgrade" and pay the same about if they want streaming video. Yeah, I think I'll be dropping that in a few months before renewal.

Ah well, time to cook some peshwari naan for lunch and enjoy a cup of tea. See if I can firm my mind up on a few things.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

When walking around in my garden I found a strange pile of grass and twigs in the undergrowth. It looks like an animal is living in there though I have no clue what it might be. Its roughly half the size of a basketball, with an entrance measuring 3 centimeters in diameter. Couldn't find feces nor food leftovers that would give a clue about the species. I touched it and it seems to be remarkably sturdily built and perfectly round in shape.  

Anybody know what animal lives in there? (entrance at 6 o' clock)

df542c98-ea37-456d-af8d-dd775d5633ae_zps

Hedgehog? I hope GD reads this as I'm sure he will know, he knows his nature and animals

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The hedgehogs I saw in my garden were as big as that entire thing and there are more than enough hiding spots for them that they don't need to build anything. They wouldn't fit through that small entrance anyway. 

Its also extremely well built, its sturdy as a birds nest and the grass + twigs were skillfully woven into a perfectly round dome. 

Mice maybe? But AFAIK they live in underground burrows. 

The hedgehogs I saw in my garden were as big as that entire thing and there are more than enough hiding spots for them that they don't need to build anything. They wouldn't fit through that small entrance anyway. 

Its also extremely well built, its sturdy as a birds nest and the grass + twigs were skillfully woven into a perfectly round dome. 

Mice maybe? But AFAIK they live in underground burrows. 

Maybe mice? But maybe baby hedgehogs...I really want to find out, its exciting :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have tons of wild mice in my garden but they usually hide and sleep in small dug holes in the ground, I've never seen them build anything with twigs. I doubt mice have the skills to build themselves such an elaborate home.

I have tons of wild mice in my garden but they usually hide and sleep in small dug holes in the ground, I've never seen them build anything with twigs. I doubt mice have the skills to build themselves such an elaborate home.

Tape your phone to a pole, start the video recording and lets get in there and see whats going on!

Woldan, Gfted1 is right about what you should do, lets find out?

John Milton 

My phone can only record approx half an hour till it runs out out of power, and I've seen animals being startled from the ultra-high frequency sounds from phones.  :getlost: And what if the animal is nocturnal? 

I have a better idea, I'll put really fine sand at the ''door step'' so the animal leaves footprints when it enters and leaves its home. 

I just blew through my trip budget in the first 8 hours... I'll be the bearded viking busking at gloucester road tube station ;P

Most importantly, did you remember to "mind the gap"?

Looks like it, since I'm still here...

Went to Oxford today. Haven't been there in almost 20 years.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Multiply that by 20 and I could use that to buy a house here.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Multiply that by 20 and I could use that to buy a house here.

Oh that is just the 10% deposit that will get me a cheap single family home.  

I might be able to qualify at 5%, or I might be able to find a decent foreclosure in the $300,000 range.  But $40,000 is probably a pretty good guess at what I need.

Maybe mice? But maybe baby hedgehogs...I really want to find out, its exciting :dancing:

Maybe its a hazel dormouse, they build ball-shaped nests during the winter. But still, the nest in my garden is MUCH bigger than this one:

Haselmaus_Kugelnest_DieterBark.jpg

*edit* Ah, I just read they don't build their nests directly on the ground. Scratch that. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

My first thought was vole but that would be too large I think for the description you gave (and there would be other signs of a vole).

Mus spicilegus (aka Steppe mouse or Mound-builder mouse) maybe?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I need to come up with a plan to raise $40,000 so I can buy a house, I'm tired of renting.

Cook meth? ...Wait, are you a chemistry teacher, or...?

I wish.  I've been wracking my brain about how I can take my knowledge of history and use it to be the best at an illegal trade, but I've come up with nothing so far.  The closest would be running for office, but I'm not sure I could stomach that.  

I do have a nice RV though.  :)

I need to come up with a plan to raise $40,000 so I can buy a house, I'm tired of renting.

Cook meth? ...Wait, are you a chemistry teacher, or...?

I wish.  I've been wracking my brain about how I can take my knowledge of history and use it to be the best at an illegal trade, but I've come up with nothing so far.  The closest would be running for office, but I'm not sure I could stomach that.  

I do have a nice RV though.   :)

]Dear Sir or Madame,

As you know, there is truth to the saying "those who don't learn from History are doomed to repeat it".  While this has become the punchline of jokes about repeating courses or being held back a grade in high school, the truth is that those who don't know history are more liable to stumble into classic blunders (like getting involved in a land war in Asia).

This is where I can help.  As someone who has meticulously developed knowledge of local and international history, I can review your short-term and long-term plans for business, politics, or world domination and point out historical antecedents and how you can follow their success or avoid their failures.

For a very low introductory price....

etc., etc

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I know we need desperately need the rain, but the grey sky today is making me kinda "bleh."

I might be able to qualify at 5%, or I might be able to find a decent foreclosure in the $300,000 range.  But $40,000 is probably a pretty good guess at what I need.

It was $60k for us. But we went in just as the economy was tanking (after a few years of looking) so prices were still sky high in the area we wanted, tho dropping. We got lucky, really. Our house is tiny but still in a place that holds value relative to its location - it's already gone up far past our purchase price again. Which I think is super-absurd. :lol:

And yeah...while I was nervous about buying (commitment issues, har) after renting forever, I'm glad we did, now. I think rent went up like mad, here, too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

No idea what might live there Bruce. Probably a rodent of one type or another. You have a lot of different critters where you live than I do. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell