What you did today

Rosbjerg

Sauerkraut is something I don't like to eat by itself (unlike some dill pickles or cabbage kim chi) but it is something I love to have on certain foods. Like a hot pastrami sandwich, or on a hotdog with mustard. Basically, it goes well with mustard and salty meats. It has limited uses (for me)...but those few uses are mighty tasty.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So it turns out that the problem in my ear was not, in fact, a ball of gunk that got shoved deep in there.  It's a fungal infection!  A pretty nasty one, at that. 

I guess the swelling made it feel like there was a foreign body in there.  And inexpert visual inspection is not especially able to differentiate fungus from earwax.

The psoriasis (which I've had for years) was almost certainly an indirect cause, as itchy ears lead to scratching and the introduction of pathogens.  And all the rinsing I had been doing to try to soften and flush out what I thought was in there only contributed to making my ear an ideal fungal habitat. 

Well, "use these drops, keep it dry, and see me again in a week" isn't the worst of possible outcomes, I guess.  Although it would've been nice if the doctor could've just yanked one thing out and made me feel better instantly. 

@Woldan, I'm pretty sure it's psoriasis, based on duration, family history (my grandfather has the exact same thing), and the opinion of the doctors who have examined me over the last half-decade.  It also responds well to topical steroids. 

Edited by Enoch

@Woldan, I'm pretty sure it's psoriasis, based on duration, family history (my grandfather has the exact same thing), and the opinion of the doctors who have examined me over the last half-decade.  It also responds well to topical steroids.

I know, I get it on my elbows and knees in winter and when I eat ''unhealthy'' food for a couple of weeks. Major suckage. I just hope I'll never get it anywhere on my face, that would be pretty awful...

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Hey, health problems. Have had a cold for a month or so. It's kinda cleared up but the sore throat is incredible. 2.5 weeks of sore throat. Wow.

There is a butt-load of this going around the UK. Several colleagues have had cold symptoms for a YEAR (or best part of).

My uneducated theory is that it's a pandemic which fortunately many are resistant to.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Got someones elbow in my face, totally knocked the wind out of me for a second or two and even though my nose made a sound like snapping a carrot in half it does not appear to be broken. It does not hurt though its kind of numb, its not swollen and it seems to be straight as an arrow. Odd. 

Edited by Woldan

The sound probably came from the cartilage in your nose, it does tend to make a snapping sound if it's hit hard enough.. At least that's how my nose is.

Today I finished the last episode of Star Trek Deep Space 9 .. Now I have no 'default' tv show to fall back on if I have an odd hour I don't know what to do with..

I might have to actually read now or something.

Fortune favors the bald.

The sound probably came from the cartilage in your nose, it does tend to make a snapping sound if it's hit hard enough.. At least that's how my nose is.

Today I finished the last episode of Star Trek Deep Space 9 .. Now I have no 'default' tv show to fall back on if I have an odd hour I don't know what to do with..

I might have to actually read now or something.

If you sign up with Audible you can get a free audiobook as a sample. Credit card info required unless you already have an Amazon account. 

Recent progression with the Ear:

Medication was first applied yesterday afternoon.  Re-applied this morning.  Over that time, the frequency/intensity of the pain produced actually increased a bit.  (Other symptoms like swelling and deadened hearing have been consistent.)  Unfortunate, but these things take time, I guess. 

About an hour ago, the ear's condition changed from "intermittently painful" to "intermittently painful, and constantly itchy." 

I know this is probably a good sign in terms of treatment, but holy hell is it a step back in terms of my mental state and general demeanor.  The doctor advised me to keep a wad of cotton in the outer ear for a few days to stop the medication from dribbling out onto my clothing, but I now think the primary motivation was to keep me from scratching. 

I also need to figure out a way to keep my ear dry while washing my hair.  This morning's attempt was a rather complete failure. 

Today I've sneezed about 4 dozen times so far, so my eyes feel a bit swollen shut and my nose is on fire. I know I have allergies all the time but I don't usually sneeze that much in one morning. Don't know what it is. Maybe some mold somewhere. Although it hasn't been rainy/damp in a while...

My ears, at least, are fine. That sounds bloody annoying, Enoch. I remember the intense itching sensation from having chicken pox, I can't imagine having something like that feeling inside ones ear.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thats is good explanation, I think thats what happened. This or I broke my skull not my nose. :grin:

There must be something watertight you can use? I've had to do it many times, although, I do admit I never had to do it for my ear.

Dip a cotton ball in fatty skin lotion and then put it into your ear channel, it should hold up pretty well. Or simply buy some synthetic earplugs, those are really cheap, I have tons of them in my locker because I use those at the shooting range.

Oh, if you happen to come across some empty 9x19mm cases, they make fine earplugs.  :yes:

Well, I've not been around much the last few days and this is why:

The girlfriend's water tank sprang a leak. In attempting to drain the pipes, we managed to break her power shower then, in a completely unrelated coincidence, her washing machine packed up. Whilst driving to and from her place, my twenty five year old car decided it didn't like its engine anymore and ate a piston ring.

So the upshot is we both need to find a couple of grand each. I may end up upgrading the engine whilst I'm spending money on it, which will cost more still. I'm going to have to raid my mortgage fund, unfortunately. Happy 2014, everyone!

• Like 1

Dirty deeds done cheap.

Well, I've not been around much the last few days and this is why:

The girlfriend's water tank sprang a leak. In attempting to drain the pipes, we managed to break her power shower then, in a completely unrelated coincidence, her washing machine packed up. Whilst driving to and from her place, my twenty five year old car decided it didn't like its engine anymore and ate a piston ring.

So the upshot is we both need to find a couple of grand each. I may end up upgrading the engine whilst I'm spending money on it, which will cost more still. I'm going to have to raid my mortgage fund, unfortunately. Happy 2014, everyone!

Ouch that is some bad luck, sorry to hear that ;(

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wanted to go for a walk till I realized everything outside looks like this: 

theroadedit_zps1c67378a.jpg

Went back inside, drank cacao and read a book instead. Snowless winters suck.

Sorry to hear that, seems like bad luck really comes in threes.

Edited by Woldan

Recent progression with the Ear:

Medication was first applied yesterday afternoon. Re-applied this morning. Over that time, the frequency/intensity of the pain produced actually increased a bit. (Other symptoms like swelling and deadened hearing have been consistent.) Unfortunate, but these things take time, I guess.

About an hour ago, the ear's condition changed from "intermittently painful" to "intermittently painful, and constantly itchy."

I know this is probably a good sign in terms of treatment, but holy hell is it a step back in terms of my mental state and general demeanor. The doctor advised me to keep a wad of cotton in the outer ear for a few days to stop the medication from dribbling out onto my clothing, but I now think the primary motivation was to keep me from scratching.

I also need to figure out a way to keep my ear dry while washing my hair. This morning's attempt was a rather complete failure.

Woldan already kind of mentioned this, but a cotton ball lathered in vaseline is a decent way of keeping your ear dry - I had ear issues as a kid and had to use those for years. (Also, there might be other applicable uses for the vaseline I was totally unaware of as a child)

I had a similarly itchy ear for over a year after I left the army, so I really feel for you, even though it never got that bad!

Meanwhile, we only got snow over the last weekend, but the sidewalks are now slippery as ****. I need to try the Vibram soles tomorrow and see if even those work...

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Still fighting a cold during my first week of classes...

Looks like I'm going to be doing two research papers this semester.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Massively run down, and have cold.

Finally realised that if I have a day where everyone asks me if I'm alright then I'm probably going to go down ill the next day.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I made a decision to take the car to a tuner to work on. It'll be more expensive, but I'll have a newly rebuild, tuned engine in the car, which will be fun. Just need to fit a decent washing machine, now.

• Like 1

Dirty deeds done cheap.

I made a decision to take the car to a tuner to work on. It'll be more expensive, but I'll have a newly rebuild, tuned engine in the car, which will be fun. Just need to fit a decent washing machine, now.

No way you can combine the two?

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

Washing machine chip tuning. I'd totally do it. Rev that thing up  to 5000 rpm and while you're at it install some floor lights.

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

They have computer game jigsaw puzzles. Sadly, most of them don't offer more than maybe 400-500 piece options, which for me makes them too quick/not fun. There's a few that go up to 1000. I'm more the 1500-2000 piece sort. That usually keeps me busy for a few days...

Think I'm still better off buying a physical one. Which is too bad, because they take up a lot of room and give one a sore neck. :lol: