What you did today

Rosbjerg

When you're actually in the middle of work, and it's a chore that you've mentally scheduled to be done at a later point in that day because you're,  you know actually working...  That's not stopping you procrastinating.

It pretty much comes down to my father really not liking Christmas decorations and he wants to delay putting them out till the point he can say "well, there's no point in doing it now because we'll be taking them down tomorrow.". Once they go up, he's insistent on trying to get them all down. But he won't demand it. He'll just push and grouch in the background. Then when I've  actually got them taken down and have a bunch of things to take care of, and I have the "I can finish packing them away in boxes and get them in the attic at this point in the day because I need to work on actual paying work during this point of the day..."   Then he basically pulls that routine.  He does it on a lot of stuff. If he decides that it must be taken care of this instant, he won't ask for it to be done now. He'll just start offering to help you do it when you plan to get it done. And keep asking if you need that help yet. And various other elements to just make it too much grief to do it when you actually plan to do it because you can't do any work.

Then if you call him on it, it's that mix of "I'm just trying to help." followed by "There's no reason to raise your voice" when you're still talking in normal tones, before he basically stomps off to his room.

Ah. The joys of family politics and relationships. ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

How I've spend most of the new year.

3Lj74Qq.gif

BASTAARD PARROTS!

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

How I've spend most of the new year.

3Lj74Qq.gif

That's cute :cat:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Something strange happened when I was taking a nap today, when I was in the twilight zone that is between being awake and falling asleep I suddenly heard an extremely loud voice speaking unnaturally fast, so fast I couldn't understand a word. It also sounded like talking backwards. It sounded like the source of the voice was very close. 
It lasted only 4 seconds or so and then it was gone but it was enough to make me SO awake.    :o

I didn't have any radios, TV's or computers turned on at that time and I have only a hand full of neighbors relatively far away, so it must have been a dream. Still extremely intense and loud for a dream. 

On the other hand I often experience strange stuff when I'm falling asleep. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Something strange happened when I was taking a nap today, when I was in the twilight zone that is between being awake and falling asleep I suddenly heard an extremely loud voice speaking unnaturally fast, so fast I couldn't understand a word. It also sounded like talking backwards. It sounded like the source of the voice was very close. 

It lasted only 4 seconds or so and then it was gone but it was enough to make me SO awake.    :o

I didn't have any radios, TV's or computers turned on at that time and I have only a hand full of neighbors relatively far away, so it must have been a dream. Still extremely intense and loud for a dream. 

It's pretty natural to hallucinate stuff while you're half asleep, I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: yupp, looked it up, hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations are present in about 37 and 12,5 percent of the population, respectively, and while they may be more prevalent in people with narcolepsia, they're nothing to worry about in itself. If it's any reassurance, I also have them occasionally.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 2

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

It's pretty natural to hallucinate stuff while you're half asleep, I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: yupp, looked it up, hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations are present in about 37 and 12,5 percent of the population, respectively, and while they may be more prevalent in people with narcolepsia, they're nothing to worry about in itself. If it's any reassurance, I also have them occasionally.

Informative response, nice one :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@Raithe: Why doesn't he just do it himself? I cant remember, is he bedridden too?

Nope. It's because he doesn't do Christmas decorations.

But there's still the standard of:

"Can I have your help with something?"

"Sure, right now or is it something later?"

"Oh later. Let me know when you've finished whatever it is you're working on now."

Which you would expect to mean let him know when you've finished what you're doing and can go help him, yes?

No.

What it means is that from that point on he's going to come by and poke at you every couple of minutes, not saying "I need help now" but that constant poke of "Are you done? Are you ready?" which interrupts your current task, and leaves you either having to spend twice as long on it because of the bloody interruptions or just dropping  everything and helping him right that instant.

Once again, if you call him on it, it turns into a wide-eyed "No, I was waiting for you to let me know when you could help" followed by "There's no need to raise your voice" and the stomp off.

Informative response, nice one :)

A benefit of still having to spend my time sitting in a library, studying for physiology finals is access to psychiatry textbooks.

True, but this was kind of wild even for my standards. :blink:

Just trying to survive The Day After Tomorrow-like weather we are having

Smoke some recreational weed Shady, that should make you feel better :dancing:

Oh and well done for both Colorado and Washington state for making the progressive and important step of legalizing the usage of Marijuana in small amounts.

John Milton 

Its currently -13F (-42F with the wind chill) in the Chicaogoland area but at least there isn't any snow today.

My wife won a trip to Vegas from her company and we leave next Sunday for four days. Shes never been there before and shes super excited to see the sights.

• Like 2

Its currently -13F (-42F with the wind chill) in the Chicaogoland area but at least there isn't any snow today.

My wife won a trip to Vegas from her company and we leave next Sunday for four days. Shes never been there before and shes super excited to see the sights.

Vegas is amazing, I'm very envious. You going to have an awesome time :thumbsup:

John Milton 

Concept: the showgirlympics.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"What happens in Vegas.. stays in Vegas. Well, at least until everyone started bringing smartphones...."

I go to Vegas to eat.

edit:  That came out wrong.  I go to Vegas to have amazing dinners at their top rated restaurants.

I hear you, I hear you. I assume you eat well when you go on your team "sports tours" to Vegas 8)

John Milton 

Today I bundled up because it got very cold. I wish summer would get here so I can enjoy humid 100F/37C+ weather.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Exercise works like wonders to combat the coldness, if you feel like freezing lift weights for 45 minutes and you'll feel comfortably warm again for the next 2 hours easily. To bundle up is not a solution. 

To bundle up is not a solution. 

While I agree that physical exertion is the fastest way to feel warmer for a while, I'd disagree that bundling up is not also a solution. Once bundled, I stay warm as long as I'm still bundled, without having to get up and do 1000 jumping jacks again. Bundling up in a soft, warm blanket also has the benefit of giving one that super-cozy, happy, snuggly, warm fuzzies feeling, which pumping iron/exercise has yet to ever give me.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Exercise works like wonders to combat the coldness, if you feel like freezing lift weights for 45 minutes and you'll feel comfortably warm again for the next 2 hours easily. To bundle up is not a solution. 

Yeah, that's not really practical though.   And I imagine -13 C weather will steal any amount off heat of me pretty damn quickly if I'm not dressed well.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra