What you did today

Rosbjerg

Today a student emailed me an essay they had 'written' and it still had the hyperlinks active that took me to the place they plagiarized it from.  Lovely.

So what happens to the pupil in this case, I know they will get a good beating but what else ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Economics majors rule. I have a (lunch) date (unfortunately) with one tomorrow, as well. :p Well, former one.

I know, as I am one.

I dunno, I can understand them trying to get you to go for an older woman(and I see nothing wrong with dating a 30ish woman), but the single mother thing comes off as downright creepy.

I've seen my share of "30 crazy", I got burned so bad I'm not talking to any non-relative female over 25 if I can help it. :p

Economics is kind of like volleyball and art history, an attractive passtime for women. ;)

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Today a student emailed me an essay they had 'written' and it still had the hyperlinks active that took me to the place they plagiarized it from.  Lovely.

So what happens to the pupil in this case, I know they will get a good beating but what else ?

This student is fairly new to the country, so I sat him down and explained what his expectations are and how he needs to go about fixing it.  I'm also going to contact the parents and set up a conference, since there are other issues involved.  In 7th grade it is more about developing good habits than being punitive.  They'll get enough of that in High School.

• Like 1

This student is fairly new to the country, so I sat him down and explained what his expectations are and how he needs to go about fixing it.  I'm also going to contact the parents and set up a conference, since there are other issues involved.  In 7th grade it is more about developing good habits than being punitive.  They'll get enough of that in High School.

Heh. That's the trouble I had. I had a knack for producing decent passing grades without ever needing to develop those habits. When I hit university and actually needed those skills and habits, I didn't have a clue.

"What do you mean I can't just attend, listen, skim through a book and produce the work?? What are these things called "notes"? What's a...'study plan'?"

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watching Suarez work some magic.

Bendtner scored today, too.  Amazing stuff. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Because he puts 4 past Norwich ? You Liverpool fans are really insane. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Went to a 3-hour long presentation about Mars where People from ESA in co-work with NASA showed us and talked about everything there is to know about the red planet including exclusive not-yet released 3D pictures and scans from the Mars Science Lab rover. Including informations about plans for manned missions.

They discussed why they want to send people to Mars, its not just a PR gag like the manned moon missions to prove that we can do it, they have found several deep strangely collapsed craters where they suspect a complex cavern system underneath. There are also river bed like marks on the surface directly leading into the craters.
If there ever was life on this planet thats the best place to look for, a place safe from the deadly UV radiation with a water source. The planet lost his atmosphere pretty early, many scientists think that life could have survived a long time underneath the surface in caves.
Manned missions because you need people to climb in there, no robot can do that.

They also told us that Austria is one of the four countries that is developing a mars exploration suit (which is currently tested in Morocco, Sahara to simulate Mars conditions) and investigate ways to get men and equipment down those craters. Figures, we're a country full of mountain climbers.

Austrian scientists also develop a special survival tent in case an astronaut (Marsonaut?) cannot return to the habitat due to a damaged suit or injuries and has to survive a night in the open in temperatures 130 Celsius below freezing in near vacuum. 

I love scientific presentations. 

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I meant Bendner!

Oh right, forgot about that.  Indeed, he will be the White Drogba.

Va i helvete? :S

We got about 5 inches of snow and the temp is currently in single digits and that's in fahrenheit

Edit: Walking the dog has been a real joy

I can't even describe in words how much I envy you... I don't think we've had more than one night below freezing here yet. It SUCKS!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I can't even describe in words how much I envy you... I don't think we've had more than one night below freezing here yet. It SUCKS!

Does a Swede really have any grounds to envy anyone for their low temperatures and snowfall?

That was rhetorical because the answer is NO.

• Like 1

Va i helvete? :S

I too await the bitter cold. My PC needs cooling.

I meant Bendner!

Oh right, forgot about that.  Indeed, he will be the White Drogba.

The Greatest Striker In The World does it again.

bendtnerliv.gif

• Like 1

Trying to wrap up Christmas shopping but I'm short of ideas this year which is weird because I usually have the opposite problem

Are we getting each other Xmas presents this year Shady? I think we should, it wouldn't feel right to break the tradition?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's been an emotional roller coaster of a month, often leaving me wrung out like a dirty dish sponge, but I'm back now, to occasionally annoy with cute kitties and mindless babble about nothing in particular. The latter of which I do very well when sleep deprived too often, as my husband can attest to. :cat:

Also, this wimpy Californian is finding the 25F (-4C?) early morning to be really farking cold. I used to run around in shorts and flip flops during chilly winter rainstorms. But in another 20 years I'll probably be wrapping myself up in an afghan in the middle of summer. :disguise:

Hope everyone who celebrated it had a fun Thanksgiving holiday.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's been an emotional roller coaster of a month, often leaving me wrung out like a dirty dish sponge, but I'm back now, to occasionally annoy with cute kitties and mindless babble about nothing in particular. The latter of which I do very well when sleep deprived too often, as my husband can attest to. :cat:

Also, this wimpy Californian is finding the 25F (-4C?) early morning to be really farking cold. I used to run around in shorts and flip flops during chilly winter rainstorms. But in another 20 years I'll probably be wrapping myself up in an afghan in the middle of summer. :disguise:

Hope everyone who celebrated it had a fun Thanksgiving holiday.

Welcome back LadyC  :dancing:

You've been missed, I was wondering where have you been?

:cat:

John Milton 

Very stormy rainy day, so stuck inside / in bed with good company, hot coffee and misted windows.. J'aime ma vie.

I take it the date went well then?

Today I'm going to class, then going home and getting some sleep.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands