What you did today

Rosbjerg

That's a thing?

I wouldn't know because I'm allergic and try to stay away from them as much as possible.

Yes, it's a thing.

And it looks like I'm going to be hosting my lesbian friend and her gf for sunday at least. Simply because they don't want to be around my friends ex

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

All my partners voted to accept the buyout. I did too but I don't know how I feel about it. This is my third attempt to start a business and the first time I didn't go it alone. Its the only one i'd call successful in that I'm walking away with more than I started with and made a living off of it while I had it. But I wanted more than this. I wanted to build it into something. But the cold realities are he had no assets other than customers and therefore no means to expand. And the bulk of our customers were municipalities and they only came to us because we were the cheapest because we underpriced our labor. It was not a sustainable model I guess. So I've got a year of so of consulting work in front of me, then I'll be looking for work. But I can't complain. Being out of work with money in the bank is better than being broke.

So I guess I'll pour a drink and toast what might have been... and then watch Hell on Wheels or something.

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's a thing?

I wouldn't know because I'm allergic and try to stay away from them as much as possible.

Yes, it's a thing.

And it looks like I'm going to be hosting my lesbian friend and her gf for sunday at least. Simply because they don't want to be around my friends ex

I just can't help but see endless possibilities for how that situation might turn out Calax. If you could make something happen there you will have officially knocked Ros off his throne as the party king of this forum!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

All my partners voted to accept the buyout. I did too but I don't know how I feel about it. This is my third attempt to start a business and the first time I didn't go it alone. Its the only one i'd call successful in that I'm walking away with more than I started with and made a living off of it while I had it. But I wanted more than this. I wanted to build it into something. But the cold realities are he had no assets other than customers and therefore no means to expand. And the bulk of our customers were municipalities and they only came to us because we were the cheapest because we underpriced our labor. It was not a sustainable model I guess. So I've got a year of so of consulting work in front of me, then I'll be looking for work. But I can't complain. Being out of work with money in the bank is better than being broke.

So I guess I'll pour a drink and toast what might have been... and then watch Hell on Wheels or something.

You can maybe use that money and start up something new? I'm sure your increased experience will help you do better this time.

Road to success is filled with failure and all that.

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Woke up from a very weird mashup genre dream. Fey creatures in space suits invading a space station.. A little on the oddball side. Then with the crisp chill to the air it was definitely a struggle to push myself from a warm and comfortable bed... But , alas, I made it up for the day. :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I drink my tea with milk only.  I'm a softy. 

Pfft. I have tea in my milk. I'm a wuss.

Come to think of it, I'm going to try and have some mead in my tea tonight... Honey in tea is nice afterall.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

You can maybe use that money and start up something new? I'm sure your increased experience will help you do better this time.

Road to success is filled with failure and all that.

Never underestimate the importance of good technical skills.

@ GD

Even when the consulting work is done with your experience I can't see you battling to find work. You may have to work for someone else or a company but that's not always a bad thing. At least you get paid your salary irrespective of quiet months and deals that take longer than expected to close :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Thanks guys. I'm not terribly worried about it. I've made some inquiries at the company I worked for before this. i think they would be favorable to having me back if there is an opening. One important rule about the workplace. No matter how miserable a place is to work, don't complain to management (exception in the case of discrimination & illegality) and don't air out your grievances when you leave. Shake everyone's hand, tell them how much you'll miss them and how great it was to work with them. Even if it's a lie. Hell, especially if it's a lie. Clearing the air will rectify nothing and just leave a bad memory of you.

But Crown Castle wasn't like that. I only left to work for myself.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Decided to have some fun at work and scare the kids. They weren't looking forward to the storm, even less so when I was done.

Told them the wind would blow away their eyebrows and they fell for it. A girl told her mother, which made me laugh like a luntatic.

ROFLMAO

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That's a thing?

Yes, it's a thing.

I just can't help but see endless possibilities for how that situation might turn out Calax. If you could make something happen there you will have officially knocked Ros off his throne as the party king of this forum!

"Most people have a full measure of life... and most people just watch it slowly drip away. But if you can summon it all up... at one time... in one place... you can accomplish something... glorious."

Yes...I did just quote Highlander II: The Quickening... :sweat:

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That's a thing?

Yes, it's a thing.

"Most people have a full measure of life... and most people just watch it slowly drip away. But if you can summon it all up... at one time... in one place... you can accomplish something... glorious."

Yes...I did just quote Highlander II: The Quickening... :sweat:

Well many great quotes come from movies, so nothing wrong with that  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, but usually those movies exist and aren't some urban legend. Highlander sequels, silly people.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sat on a chair in my garden to enjoy dusk and watch the clouds go by. Beautiful. Bad thing is I fell asleep, now I'm freezing.....  :facepalm:

Woldan you're a soldier and suffering is part of every soldiers life..this is what makes you strong !!!

John Milton 

Sat on a chair in my garden to enjoy dusk and watch the clouds go by. Beautiful. Bad thing is I fell asleep, now I'm freezing.....  :facepalm:

Woldan you're a soldier and suffering is part of every soldiers life..this is what makes you strong !!!

I think you got that wrong, part of a soldiers job is to make other people suffer, not yourself.  :grin:

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Corporal always said "any **** can be uncomfortable."

sonsofgygax.JPG

Getting increasingly depressed while there's seemingly no reason for it. Getting stuck in that "everything is meaningless" detachment is no fun. I wonder if I have some sort of chemical imbalance. How would one go about figuring that out? Can doctors tell if you have a chemical imbalance?

It could be a chemical imbalance - but I've also found that life simply has it's ups and downs, maybe it's just me, but I often experience a down period in the autumn after a good summer for instance. I think the important thing is to take is serious, but not let it dominate your thought patterns. If it does get out of hand, see a doctor.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Getting increasingly depressed while there's seemingly no reason for it. Getting stuck in that "everything is meaningless" detachment is no fun. I wonder if I have some sort of chemical imbalance. How would one go about figuring that out? Can doctors tell if you have a chemical imbalance?

Sorry to hear that, but you should'nt worry quite yet I think.. As Ros said, If it keeps at it for a longer time you should go see a psychiatrist though, but before any of that; Maybe try mixing things up a bit? Might just be that you're getting subconciously bored by being to routine?

Also, any chemical "balance" in your brain is what causes you to feel things, so... yeah, you could say it's chemical imbalance. ;)

"I'm NOT drunk! I'm chemically unbalanced!"

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Give it this test, go down to the nearest rollercoaster and ride it and if midway through you don't get a smirk in your face either your loved ones have been kidnapped into a hellish dimension or you have a chemical imbalance.

Or just try to change something in your daily routine that might be monotony that you're experiencing and not depression. 

Oh, wait...your Location is in Cyrillic; yep you're depressed but you're in Eastern Europe so I guess that's normal?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Okay, when your married friends invite you along for a special screening of Chico & Rita - a film about the ups and downs of a Cuban pianist and his beautiful singing partner, as they battle to unite in music and love  - that will end with a tango session after the film, is it me or is that going to be a really third-wheel type of situation?  An evening of a love story inspired by the latin bolero, and ending with the passion of tango..  That really seems to me to be a couples thing.  

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."