The NFL 2013 Thread

Keyrock

Saints finally using their running game after last week looked like those guys from old swashbuckling movies who fence with their left hand for the first half of the showdown only to reveal they are actually right-handed for the climax. :p

Or Dallas just blew.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Saints finally using their running game after last week looked like those guys from old swashbuckling movies who fence with their left hand for the first half of the showdown only to reveal they are actually right-handed for the climax. :p

Or Dallas just blew.

Don't get too excited about the Saints running game.  The Cowboys defense is downright putrid.

;)

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Or Dallas just blew.

Don't get too excited about the Saints running game.  The Cowboys defense is downright putrid.

;)

LOL  Any defense that can make Ingram look THAT good is in serious trouble.  :)

• Like 2

It's about Buc'n time!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Bucs just lost Mike James for the season. We've lost both of our RBs now. Bummer. I guess that is what will keep them out of the playoffs right? Oh... wait

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Or Dallas just blew.

;)

LOL  Any defense that can make Ingram look THAT good is in serious trouble.  :)

Shh, let me have my fun after the sproles-less last week. :p

• Like 2

How did a Finn come to like American football?

*shrug*, has the physicality of ice hockey (which is the most popular sport around here) with a strategic dimension that hockey doesn't have. I also follow the Finnish American Football league (including the local minor league team here in the boondocks), but just like hockey mad Finns who watch NHL for the (arguably, anyway) top quality ice hockey in the world, I follow the NFL for the same reasons.

How I became a New Orleans "fan" is best described as a coincidence. My dad is big into jazz and blues, so we have quite a few friends from around there, and the Sean Payton/Drew Brees playstyle seems to appeal to me.

Kaep doesn't look good, but I don't think he can get all the blame.  The offense as a whole is a mess for the Niners.  

I had to hit the sack at the end of the third, I was convinced the saints were going to lose.

It's funny, it's looked like the Saints have been in the drivers seat of all their games this season, some of them have just been DUIs/careless driving.

Niners managed to completely neutralise Jimmy Graham, though.

And I agree re: Kaepernick. He got propelled into the role in last season's fad and is not in Smith's class. Too bad, really, there's always in a place in my heart for the niners from the days of Joe Montana etc. when I first got introduce to (American) football.

The thing people need to realize about Kaepernick is that he's been a starting quarterback in the NFL for a total of slightly more than one full season. Two things to take away from that: 1) He's still a developing quarterback who's going to take unnecessary chances because he hasn't learned not to yet, hence him having stretches where he's spectacular (gets away with it) and stretches where he's terrible (doesn't get away with it). 2) His sample size is still quite small, so when people were declaring him the next big thing, or whatever, after last season, that was based on barely more than half a dozen games. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If you watch Kaep throw, it's pretty clear he's a legit talent.  But he is definitely still learning, and it's fairly amazing that he took a team to the Superbowl.  This year they've obviously committed to developing his passing game, they've basically ignored the option that worked so well in the playoffs.  It's a work in progress.  It hurts that Crabtree is out too, because he's basically got one decent route runner in Boldin and a speedy tight end in Vernon Davis.  There are a lot of dropped balls by the other guys, he is a QB that throws hard.  That's been the biggest change between him and Alex Smith.  Crabtree thrived with Kaep because he's a great route runner with fantastic hands.  Alex Smith throws a completely different ball, it has more touch but it also isn't going to get there as fast and he's limited downfield because of that.  That's why Dwayne Bowe isn't having a huge season in KC, despite the team having success.    

There are still positives.  He's not putting himself in a position where he is going to get hurt a lot, like many other running QB's.  He's not turning the ball over a ton.  His upside is still pretty huge.  I still think they've got a better than good shot at getting a wildcard.    

• Like 1

If you watch Kaep throw, it's pretty clear he's a legit talent.  But he is definitely still learning, and it's fairly amazing that he took a team to the Superbowl.  This year they've obviously committed to developing his passing game, they've basically ignored the option that worked so well in the playoffs.  It's a work in progress.  It hurts that Crabtree is out too, because he's basically got one decent route runner in Boldin and a speedy tight end in Vernon Davis.  There are a lot of dropped balls by the other guys, he is a QB that throws hard.  That's been the biggest change between him and Alex Smith.  Crabtree thrived with Kaep because he's a great route runner with fantastic hands.  Alex Smith throws a completely different ball, it has more touch but it also isn't going to get there as fast and he's limited downfield because of that.  That's why Dwayne Bowe isn't having a huge season in KC, despite the team having success.    

There are still positives.  He's not putting himself in a position where he is going to get hurt a lot, like many other running QB's.  He's not turning the ball over a ton.  His upside is still pretty huge.  I still think they've got a better than good shot at getting a wildcard.    

Indeed, I should really have added a "yet" in my assessment of his ability.

Kaep didn't take them to the SB.  The rest of the team did.  He was carried. I would have loved to see him playing on KC. No way do they have only one loss with Krappy. Kraphead is - at best - middle of the pack. One of the most overrated QBs ever and one of the dumbest decisions ever by a coaching staff. Yet, people are still trying not to give Smith credit as  Reid is getting all the credit for their success despite the fact that Reid  was fired from PHI and theya r ebetter off w/o him.  He may not have flashy numbers but Smith is the #1 reason for the turnaround. Stability is so underrated.

It is hilarious to me that SF stuck by Smith while he was learning the NFL QB craft and when he finally figures it out (Smith had a phenomenal QB rating last season prior to his injury) that's when they throw him in the trash. So stupid.

4 losses already. L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

LOL, the NFC North didn't win a single game this week, and 2 of the teams played each other!  In other news the Cowboys actually came through in the clutch, even after getting screwed by the refs on an absolutely atrocious call (catch by Dez at the 5).  The end in nigh!

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

'Niners to be renamed forty whiners due to still bitching about the Saints loss. Redskins breathe sigh of relief.

I'm not too concerned about the call, but I think the fine is ridiculous.  Why bother allowing players to tackle QB's at all?

11192013-brees-brooks-saints-49ers.jpg

I doubt it would have been even noticed by the league, had the niners not made such a colossal fuss out of it. That's the way it often works out in courts, people who are whiny, disruptive or enter not guilties into stuff they were caught red-handed doing often get a little extra...

I think Drew Brees has replaced Tom Brady as the quarterback you are not allowed to so much as breathe on.

Cowboys got a nice win on Turkey Day.  Granted, it was against the Raiders, so I'm not exactly celebrating and proclaiming them future Super Bowl winners, but they played well in the second half and actually had a viable running game, plus, had a surprisingly competent clock killing scoring drive to ice the game late in the 4th.  The defense is still a mess, but baby steps.  Now, if I could just get an Iggles loss, this week will be a rousing success.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

New Orleans Saints 9-2

Carolina Panthers 9-3

Saints have a tough game tonight. Not to mention the last three games against great pass rushing teams. Don't look back.

f3is7o_cam-newton-carolina-panthers1.jpe

Yes, I do have money on the Panthers winning their division.

Man, the Seahawks are beating the ****ing **** out of the Saints.  It's looking very much like the road to the Super Bowl on the NFC side is going to go through Seattle, and that's really bad news for every team not named Seahawks.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸