What you having for dinner tonight?

BruceVC

The worst... no.. the absolute worst Chinese take out you've ever tasted. If you ever go into a chinese take out joint and there are no Asian folks working there, just turn around and leave! I don't know why it matters, but it does.

It might be a long night tonight....

:biggrin: I tend to follow that eating etiquette as well. For example don't go to good seafood restaurant and expect killer spare ribs.

Wouldn't the correct analogy to Guard Dog's situation with a seafood restaurant be "If you ever go into a seafood take out joint and there are no seafood working there, just turn around and leave"?

A spare rib analogy would be "Don't go into a BBQ Rib joint if there are no pigs there".

:wowey:

That only makes sense if the Chinese take-out food you want is made of Asian people. 

went to school in the bay area-- 3 years undergrad and 3 years law school. it may sound strange, but we avoided chinatown when ordering chinese food. is advice offered us by an asian girlfriend we dated for a couple years. most o' chinatown restaurants in san francisco is tourist trap or just plain bad.

'course, in the spirit o' full disclosure, we had neither the time or inclination to cross the bay bridge. heck, we rare made it further west than shattuck ave.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Chinatown is an interesting place, for sure, but I wouldn't eat there either.  But honestly it's not the cleanest part of San Francisco.  There are also just a ton of fantastic famous restaurants within a couple blocks, so why bother.

Although the best place for seafood in SF is the small vendors right along the piers.  Best prices, and as fresh as it can get.  

New taco place in the neighborhood. It's called Fuzzy Taco.

I had a shredded beef taco, a spicy pork taco, and a crawfish taco. They use feta cheese, which is powerful enough that I could not tell the difference between the three tacos.

Worth eating there, but no point trying anything but the cheapest taco.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Stopped at the butchers. Am now feasting on a mixed fry-up of venison, lamb chop, lamb kidney (particularly good), pork sausages, and free range eggs, over wholegrain toast. With french mustard and spicy chutney on the side.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I made myself a killer pasta last night. I fried off  used onions, garlic, mushrooms and Coppa ham as a base to a sauce, I then added a good bottled spicy pasta sauce and added the Pasta once cooked. It was simple to prepare and tasted delicious :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

went to school in the bay area-- 3 years undergrad and 3 years law school. it may sound strange, but we avoided chinatown when ordering chinese food. is advice offered us by an asian girlfriend we dated for a couple years. most o' chinatown restaurants in san francisco is tourist trap or just plain bad.

I agree. Chinese restaurants and chinatown areas in Western Countries are too westernised. I never realised how westernised the food was until having a Chinese girlfriend and visiting China. After 5 years, I find it hard to eat chinese food and yum cha in Western countries. Sickly sweet. My partner never goes to 'chinatown' as it's all westernised. She often finds some obscure restaurant to get as close as authentic as possible, but it's never quite right.

All my Caucasian friends don't understand when I say it's not real chinese food when we're in a chinese restaurant, but my partners chinese friends all understand.

Unexpected rapprochement with a bloke I fell out with years ago. Down side was I spent my food budget so had to just eat toast for dinner.

Actually not so bad. No indigestion, at least :)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Unexpected rapprochement with a bloke I fell out with years ago. Down side was I spent my food budget so had to just eat toast for dinner.

Hi Walsie :)

Where have you  been, you've been quiet the last day or 2?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Smoked sausage, Red beans and rice.  :)

Hi Kgambit :)

Nice to see you posting again

John Milton 

I baked white potatoes in the oven yesterday with a drizzle of olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper.  Then I made some rice pilaf and boiled some carrots with tarragon and a bit of sugar.  It was a good meal.

You always seem to eat so healthily..its a little depressing at times for me   :biggrin:

John Milton 

Hi Walsie :)

Where have you  been, you've been quiet the last day or 2?

Working and gaming, old bean. Half my work at the moment is 'menial' work, the other half deskbound. Makes for a weird mix.

Eating sparingly, most of the time. But i have a planned oxtail soup for later. I'm throwing in a lamb's heart just for giggles.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

I baked white potatoes in the oven yesterday with a drizzle of olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper.  Then I made some rice pilaf and boiled some carrots with tarragon and a bit of sugar.  It was a good meal.

You always seem to eat so healthily..its a little depressing at times for me   :biggrin:

I have my weaknesses, mostly candy and chocolate.

• Like 1

Had the oxtail and lamb's heart. The lamb's heart was actually just fantastic. I would certainly recommend it for curry or (as I did) a rich soup.

It's a strong flavour, but very tender, no tough ventricles either.

-Elwood Blues

Learned a new word today - rapproachment.

Thanks Wals!

I like that it resembles 'rapport'. Odd that 'ro' and 'or' are switched. 

Is eating hearts common? I'm afraid that sounds as enticing as bloody oyster-shooters. I need some broccoli to wash out my eyes. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Learned a new word today - rapproachment.

Thanks Wals!

I like that it resembles 'rapport'. Odd that 'ro' and 'or' are switched. 

Is eating hearts common? I'm afraid that sounds as enticing as bloody oyster-shooters. I need some broccoli to wash out my eyes. 

I wouldn't say its common but we also eat heart in South Africa, its delicious. I like Chicken heart personally :)

John Milton 

Oh, holy balls! I remember eating chicken hearts on a stick at a Brasilian restaurant. Very small, and slightly sweet. The cheesy bread was much better ... they were little balls of cheese-infused bread with a proper name, but I forget. 

Ah yes the famous Chicken hearts in a Brazilian restaurant. I bet it was an "eat as much as you want" and they bring all this meat to your table in skewers?

Those restaurants are always loads of fun, the secret in those restaurants is to avoid the more common meats as they use loads of salt and that makes you thirsty and then you need to drink which makes you full. Check out this restaurant in South Africa which caters for exotic meat. I always take guests there from overseas as it provides a good African experience. Its called Carnivores (download the menu if you want to see some of the meat available )

http://www.recreationafrica.co.za/carnivore

• Like 1

John Milton