Steam card confessions

While not caring about the cards, I am also vindictive and a giant troll, so I obstinately refuse to trade my cards with those that really want them.

Probably the only person I would give them to would be someone that didn't want them at all! :p

While not caring about the cards, I am also vindictive and a giant troll, so I obstinately refuse to trade my cards with those that really want them.

Probably the only person I would give them to would be someone that didn't want them at all! :p

I forbid you to ever give me your cards!

I would never accept cards from YOU!

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I forbid you to ever give me your cards!

I would never accept cards from YOU!

I've already tried that tactic. He's immune to reverse psychology.

He does this just to taunt me with his inventory of cards. :(

Wait a minute... he has extra sleeping dogs cards! He's been trading with someone! D:

Edited by Deraldin

Nah, I suddenly got a "gift pack" that had 3 cards.

I assume from the game due to some sort of retroactive reward. Unless someone gave them to me without knowing.

Nah booster packs are given out to random eligible random people whenever someone completes a badge. You got the luck of the draw :p

You are eligible with each game for which you have gotten all your own drops. Chances go up the higher your steam level.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

You know Alan, I don't really care about those cards one way or another.  They just sort of take up (electronic) space.  Meh, whatever.  I'm completely apathetic toward receiving cards. 

whistle.gif

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Typical Valve. Hire a real life economist and all he comes up with at the end of his contract is a microtransaction scheme for those blessed with OCD. If only he could've done the same for Greece they'd be saved.

I can certainly understand selling the things since it's free money store credit, but who buys them? Someone must be doing it, and I'm torn on my reaction to those poor unfortunates. I can at least understand the reasoning for most stuff people do but I just can't quite twist my brian to understand that. I don't get it, I don't get it at all.

I've made about $2 selling those cards.  It's really just like a rewards program for Steam players.

The amazing thing is that it's a rewards program that makes money for the seller.  (Well, revenue, anyway.  There is, of course, some cost in setting up the system, running the marketplace, etc.  I have no idea if the revenue Valve sees from its vig on the transactions is sufficient to cover this cost and generate net income.) 

I have ignored the stuff they've thrown at me (mostly CK2 cards, and a couple things that I think I got for spending money in the summer sale).  But that's nothing new.  I've still got 2 whole games sitting in my steam inventory that Valve gave me in the 2011 holiday sale.  (An Oddworld game and something called "Lightfish")

I was expecting something a bit more sexy.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Never heard of those cards. Maybe I should check my account some day. I do have somewhere between 50 and 100 games on my steam account (although 2/3 of those are Humble Bundle and similar games).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I've made about $2 selling those cards.  It's really just like a rewards program for Steam players.

The amazing thing is that it's a rewards program that makes money for the seller.  (Well, revenue, anyway.  There is, of course, some cost in setting up the system, running the marketplace, etc.  I have no idea if the revenue Valve sees from its vig on the transactions is sufficient to cover this cost and generate net income.)

They already had the market place, wallet, the badge system, a way of recording when people play particular games. I doubt the card system took a lot of money to develop, the bandwidth can't be that much, I think it's safe to assume it's making a profit. Rough calculations for each unique card: the Summer Sale cards are making ~$30-50 per day, the most popular games ~$5 per day, less popular games ~$2 per day, when they introduce a set there can be 10 times more transactions for a few days, there was a period of a few days when each Summer Sale card was getting over 1000 transations an hour. There's well over 1000 unique cards now, but the addition of cards has slowed quite a bit. Foil and booster packs make more per transaction, but are rarer. I doubt Valve gets over $10,000 a day from Steam trading card transactions.

It's not about net income from transactions it's about selling games. It's about bundling in something that doesn't cost Valve money that makes a game more valuable to the buyer. It's got trading, lottery, and collecting features, and if those aren't interesting you can sell them, get $0.40-1.10 from Steam users (not including minor fees to Valve and the publisher) that goes into the Steam wallet so you can buy more games.

Sold quite a few of the cards lying about in my inventory. Made 6.50 in a day. Decided to spend 2.50 of those to use a 75% off voucher I had. Turns out I am locked out of my Steam Wallet... again. Because since I moved from Cyprus back to Greece end of December I haven't paid money into the wallet, only paid dircetly with credit card for purchases. I can use the wallet in the Marketplace but not the Store...

*sigh*

Sold quite a few of the cards lying about in my inventory. Made 6.50 in a day. Decided to spend 2.50 of those to use a 75% off voucher I had. Turns out I am locked out of my Steam Wallet... again. Because since I moved from Cyprus back to Greece end of December I haven't paid money into the wallet, only paid dircetly with credit card for purchases. I can use the wallet in the Marketplace but not the Store...

*sigh*

Should have just given the cards to me. :biggrin:

I've been "playing" Shadowrun Returns and some other game that just turned into steam card slot machines. Thank you for another two euros. It was sorely needed after my recent M&M X Legacy Deluxe purchase. Easy come, easy go, I suppose. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I've been "playing" Shadowrun Returns and some other game that just turned into steam card slot machines. Thank you for another two euros. It was sorely needed after my recent M&M X Legacy Deluxe purchase. Easy come, easy go, I suppose. :)

Grrr...does that mean I have to replay Shadowrun to get them cards??

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Leferd: Not exactly. Just press play and turn down the volume under Options and wait like 3 h, then you'll have your four cards. Hence, my use of quotation marks around playing. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Leferd: Not exactly. Just press play and turn down the volume under Options and wait like 3 h, then you'll have your four cards. Hence, my use of quotation marks around playing. :)

*mind boggled*

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

*mind boggled*

Protip: You can (often) run more than one steam game at a time. Collect cards from multiple games at once.

Edited by Deraldin