RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Finally!! the Commander was such an important feature of BF2 and 2142.. Glad to see it back. Now all we need is an actual Squad Leader again instead of the current 4-6 mobile teammember spawn points.

I actually prefer the squad respawn points to just the squad leader.  I found if I was squad leader, it made me too passive (and not really "leading the squad") in BF2.

Quickly skimmed through the last couple of threads and did'nt immediately see anything referencing this, so;

Publishers may start funding old-school RPGs because of the success of Kickstarter

"These Kickstarters for RPGs have been really successful, they have garnered more backer support and more funding than many had thought, and we have noticed that publishers have paid attention to that and they are aware of the success these projects have had," Chris Avellone explained.

I really think how MoMX does will probably be the real test case; the Kickstarters - while successful - by their funding nature might make it an attractive but unsure area to dabble in.

If MoMX does boffo, I think that added with the Kickstarter success, then yeah I could see more publishers looking at smaller budget but strong-selling niche games.

The thing that most excited me about Kickstarters is that it'll serve (hopefully) as a point that "forgotten game styles" are still quite viable.  I'm still trying to figure out who I need to plead to to make another X-Wing/TIE Fighter game!

Quickly skimmed through the last couple of threads and did'nt immediately see anything referencing this, so;

Publishers may start funding old-school RPGs because of the success of Kickstarter

"These Kickstarters for RPGs have been really successful, they have garnered more backer support and more funding than many had thought, and we have noticed that publishers have paid attention to that and they are aware of the success these projects have had," Chris Avellone explained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ1eAM8CChc

• Like 3

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I really think how MoMX does will probably be the real test case; the Kickstarters - while successful - by their funding nature might make it an attractive but unsure area to dabble in.

If MoMX does boffo, I think that added with the Kickstarter success, then yeah I could see more publishers looking at smaller budget but strong-selling niche games.

The thing that most excited me about Kickstarters is that it'll serve (hopefully) as a point that "forgotten game styles" are still quite viable.  I'm still trying to figure out who I need to plead to to make another X-Wing/TIE Fighter game!

I'd love to see another TIE Fighter.  I'd saw off my right left arm for Starflight 3.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I plan on getting Vegas 2, at least.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, EA has exclusive rights to the SW universe, so I'm guessing you need to start climbing that corporate ladder :)

If I'm WotC, I'm dropping a few million to make a new Unity Dark Sun game. Who here wouldn't eat that up?

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

It does look a bit confusing with Unity capitalized next to Dark Sun.

Dark_Sun_-_Shattered_Lands_Coverart.png

Dark_Sun_3.png

dark_sun_shattered_lands-5.jpg

Dark_Sun_-_Wake_of_the_Ravager_Coverart.

I played more Dark Sun than any other D&D video game.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Jy2dD.gif

"Mr. Newell, please: When will you folks fix the offline mode so it doesn't log out every couple of weeks?"

Interesting point but for me the litmus test wouldn't be the success of a first person RPG like MoMX but rather PE and the new Torment. I think that  third person RPG  are what publishers are talking about and would have better chance of being financially viable

But this is good news either way if it works out :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It easily had the best story and writing of any D&D game up to that point. It looked great for its time. Everyone that I knew in my hometown that had any interest whatsoever in D&D had Shattered Lands.

Wake of the Ravager was a bit trickier to run. Between the bugs, the memory it needed and it didn't like to run in Windows at all; I only knew a couple of people with that one. CD Rom was still expensive at the time.

Probably doesn't help that I don't really have much interest in D&D.  My first exposure to it was Eye of the Beholder, and later FRUA.  In both cases, I think I enjoyed the games despite AD&D rules.

I almost gave up entirely on the first Baldur's Gate due to its punitive adaptation of the rules.

It easily had the best story and writing of any D&D game up to that point. It looked great for its time. Everyone that I knew in my hometown that had any interest whatsoever in D&D had Shattered Lands.

Wake of the Ravager was a bit trickier to run. Between the bugs, the memory it needed and it didn't like to run in Windows at all; I only knew a couple of people with that one. CD Rom was still expensive at the time.

I would be very excited with a Dark Sun setting and gameplay but it needs to be "modernised" at least to the PE level.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If I'm WotC, I'm dropping a few million to make a new Unity Dark Sun game. Who here wouldn't eat that up?

Me. Dark Sun is one of the most boring and dull setting like...ever.

I thought that was Greyhawk... or Forgotten Realms... or was it Mystara... or any other generic fantasy setting.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Soo, Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded is releasing in a couple of hours, and in a couple of hours, I need to hop on a train to Helsinki, because I'm in court there. Happy coincidence .

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif