EA Granted Star Wars License

Highly unlikely...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Knowing our luck, Black Box will be tasked with making Pod Racer 2

Although I have seen somebody posit Star Wars: Mirrors Edge which might actually work a lot better than the actual Mirrors Edge.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Highly unlikely...

It is somewhat likely, but rather than the enjoyable RPG that was KOTOR or the masterpiece a completed KOTOR2 would have been, KOTOR3 will be much more actiony, feature the dialogue wheel, and badly implemented multiplayer.

Frankly, I'm hoping someone creates an old-school RPG set in an original space-faring setting so I won't care whether Bioware butchers KOTOR3 or not.

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It is somewhat likely, but rather than the enjoyable RPG that was KOTOR or the masterpiece a completed KOTOR2 would have been, KOTOR3 will be much more actiony, feature the dialogue wheel, and badly implemented multiplayer.

Frankly, I'm hoping someone creates an old-school RPG set in an original space-faring setting so I won't care whether Bioware butchers KOTOR3 or not.

The dialogue wheel is much more a "BioWare" specific thing than an EA thing.  We do it for both of our games because there's a variety of advantages in doing so.  There'd be little reason for Obsidian to adopt it, and less of a reason for EA to require it.

The level of influence EA would have on KOTOR 3's direction would be more heavily influenced by the types of dollars they were looking on investing.  That is, Obsidian's pitch and direction would need to provide reasonable assurances that the game is going to be sufficiently profitable.  I don't know if the "some level of post release support" mandate that Gibeau spoke about refers to EA Partners games, though I suspect there'd be some level of risk mitigation if Obsidian had some sort of DLC component as part of their proposal anyways, which would increase any projects chances of getting (additional) funding.  Given that Obsidian had very successful DLC with FONV, and Urquhart seemed keen on DLC post release monetization in the talk he had (sharing the stage with Ray Muzyka) anyways, so I doubt that that would be a significant barrier.

"There'd be little reason for Obsidian to adopt it,"

They already have.

"and less of a reason for EA to require it."

EA already did since they *are* BIO so anything BIO does is EA doing it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"There'd be little reason for Obsidian to adopt it,"

They already have.

Yes, Obsidian did use something similar to the dialogue wheel with Alpha Protocol.  That's hardly evidence that they'd feel compelled to use it for any hypothetical KOTOR 3.  Especially since the game that they created afterwards, Fallout: New Vegas, used the more traditional dialogue lines.  They clearly don't feel obligated to use dialogue wheels.

"and less of a reason for EA to require it."

EA already did since they *are* BIO so anything BIO does is EA doing it.

You appear to be arguing for the sake of arguing, as this comment is completely irrelevant to the point I made.  My statement for EA "requiring" it was specifically in regards to a hypothetical KOTOR 3 that Obsidian would make.

That the BioWare division of EA opted to go for it was a decision that the BioWare studio decided to do for our own reasons and benefits.  Again, there's little reason for EA to require Obsidian to use a dialogue wheel for any hypothetical KOTOR 3 that is in development.

For reference point, since it seems you missed it, this was the quote I was referring to (emphasis mine)

Edited by alanschu

This is just a travesty of one bad decision after another.

Mark my words, no good will come of this.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Eh, there are worse fates the licence could suffer.

While I'm not wildly optimistic at the moment, I'm not ready to cry woe and rail against the universe. I'll stick to a wait and see approach until they announce the next couple of games...

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Can't say I'm unhappy about the development personally - shove that mediocre IP to mediocre developers and let the developers I like work on more interesting properties.

I'm not saying SW fans don't deserve good games, but the idea of Obsidian doing another Star Wars title as mooted was one of my least favoured outcomes. Yes, selfish I know given the potential windfall, but hey, everyone wants to ensure their idea of a good game gets up.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The dialogue wheel is much more a "BioWare" specific thing than an EA thing. We do it for both of our games because there's a variety of advantages in doing so. There'd be little reason for Obsidian to adopt it, and less of a reason for EA to require it.

And who is the most likely candidate to make KOTOR3 now that EA has the license?

Hint: You work for them.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Has anyone heard of Kinect: Star Wars, you can't get any lower than that.

Also why are people still considering Obsidian and a SW RPG now? Surely people can see that if a SW RPG appears it's only coming from one studio.

Obs should focus on a popular franchise that hasn't been given the RPG treatment, Star Trek.

• Like 1
cylon_basestar_eye.gif