We've been really enjoying Broadchurch, and heard they were doing an American version and all I could think was "Broadchurch is in english, with an amazing cast of people that are recognizable stateside, so why would they need to do an American version? Just air the original"

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Breaking Bad, episode 2 of the final stretch.  I was really proud of Skyler for not breaking (no pun intended).  Now it looks like Jesse is Hank's way to get Walt.  I don't think there is any chance Hank is surviving until the finale.  I give him 2 episodes to live.  I wonder if Jesse survives?  I have a hard time seeing them kill him off, but that would be the ultimate holy **** moment the show could possibly pull short of killing Walt before the finale.

Also, Huell is the greatest.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Caught a rerun of Threshold. That was a good show, shame it got cancelled.

Although it did get me thinking, treat the alien force as chaos and the warp,the DNA warping as corruption and mutation, the Threshold team as inquisition acolytes, it would make a good Dark Heresy campaign.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

You might think that, Walsingham, you might very well think that, but I could not possibly comment.

I haven't seem the US version yet and how much it follows the brit one/ books but since the second was 'To Play the King' I wonder how they could have had a plausible US version/ 2nd season.

Could some approximation of one of the monolithic dynasties of the USA be used to simulate royalty, such as the Kennedy's for instance?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

You might think that, Walsingham, you might very well think that, but I could not possibly comment.

I haven't seem the US version yet and how much it follows the brit one/ books but since the second was 'To Play the King' I wonder how they could have had a plausible US version/ 2nd season.

Could some approximation of one of the monolithic dynasties of the USA be used to simulate royalty, such as the Kennedy's for instance?

Royalty isn't the key theme.  The Quest for power (and revenge) is.

The US version simply replaces the King with the President.  It chronicles Frank Underwood's attempt to gain power and revenge after promising his support to a presidential candidate and then being screwed over. It's similar to Uruquhart's quest to become Prime Minister.  It's not an exact equivalency but it works.    

I can't post any more details since there would be way too many spoilers for either series. 

Edited by kgambit

I haven't even seen it. I was just amusing myself imagining subtle interplay!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Royalty isn't the key theme.  The Quest for power (and revenge) is.

The US version simply replaces the King with the President.  It chronicles Frank Underwood's attempt to gain power and revenge after promising his support to a presidential candidate and then being screwed over. It's similar to Uruquhart's quest to become Prime Minister.  It's not an exact equivalency but it works.    

I can't post any more details since there would be way too many spoilers for either series. 

Hmmm sounds more like a direct transition of House of Cards rather than To Play the King to me, however i've not seen the american series either so I couldn't possibly comment. What I think might be interesting if they try to americanise To Play the King is to deal with the modern royalty, celebrity and their unelected but popular and fashionable agendas. Might be ripe ground for making a few points about the preaching of an extremely pampered and privileged minority, who at the end of the day have no real power base or mandate from the people, and yet despite this feel they have the right to dabble in politics.

I can think of a few nice key scenes, mixing withering social commentary and perhaps the fickle nature of social media as well.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I don't think there is any chance Hank is surviving until the finale.  I give him 2 episodes to live.

I've been wondering about that myself. Because once Lydia finds out Hank knows (and you she will, otherwise why keep showing what she's up to), Hank becomes, in her nutso mind, a loose end. Actually, Walt and Jessie, in her mind, are also loose ends. And Lydia does not like loose ends. I'm becoming pretty convinced the Lydia/Todd pairing is going to be the catalyst for major stuff going down. Otherwise, Walt/Skyler just wait it out and Hank just tries to get evidence. In fact I'm starting to wonder if

EVERYONE is going to take a dirt nap, except Walt (and maybe the baby), who is thus going for Lydia/Todd revenge in the flash-fowards. :lol: (edit) it would be a fitting "you reap what you sow" towards Walt, having him lose everything while he still remains.

And yeah...Huell is hilarious. I also liked Walt's "close enough" when he's checking his cash, then giving Huell and the other guy a certain knowing look. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

To Play the King is to deal with the modern royalty, celebrity and their unelected but popular and fashionable agendas.

Yeah, that could work. Jane Fonda circa Vietnam or Sean Penn circa Iraq War copped a lot of flak over their stances. I doubt either was anywhere near as entrenched or influential as the monarchy in the UK, but it is fictionalised so some sort of Beiber/ Moore/ Penn/ Snowden (probably combination of one or more) populist might work quite well. It'd be a bit of a shame if more aren't made, the Urquhart story trilogy had some very nice symmetry to it.

Hm, after watching that Threshold, the other thing that got me thinking was that there was a whole bunch of really quite good sci-fi, with some intelligent writing, that kept getting cancelled after one season back then. All around the same time.

Threshold, Odyssey 5, John Doe... a few others. It's got me gnashing my teeth a bit even now, that was back in the first part of the 2000's, and when they started to replace good sci-fi with reality tv and ghost-hunter shows.. >_<

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Oh man, Walt's "confession" on Breaking Bad was so great.  You could literally feel Hank crumble as that went down.  That was some seriously diabolical **** right there.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That was an awesome moment in the series. So was Walt and son scene, and then the Jessie stuff...I'm still seriously considering the notion that no one is going to come away happy - or even alive - at the end. All the TV forums have "team Hank" and "team Jessie," "team Walt" and "team wives" advocates, but I think all the "teams" are ultimately screwed. :lol:

I'm currently more interested in what the Todd/Lydia angle is going for. Showing how careless/stupid Todd is (talking about that stuff in a diner for anyone to hear, other stuff) and his crazy Uncles ... that's just asking for disaster - for them and likely for Walt. :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That was the best episode this season and one of the better episodes in the show's history.  The "confession" will likely go down as one of my top 3 Breaking Bad scenes...  depending on what else they have in store for us.  ****'s about to get real crazy.

:biggrin:

I think Jesse is the only one who has even a microscopic chance at something approaching a happy ending, but I'm leaning toward dead man for him.  Walt, Skyler, Hank, Marie, Todd, Lydia, I think every one of them ends up dead or in prison.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Lately, with every rising crescendo of the series, the image of Eric Idle jauntily singing "Always look on the bright side of life" keeps coming to mind. :lol:

Finished watching The Killing season 1.  American adaptation of the Danish series, The Crime.  Set in Seattle and centers on the murder of a teenage girl called Rosie Larsen.  Tons of plot twists.  Really good show.   Just ordered season 2 on DVD.

Has anyone been watching The White Queen (BBC/Starz) or The Fall (BBC2) with Gillian Anderson?   Looking for some feedback and brief non-spoiler reviews.  :)

The Fall is excellent, very short but worth well worth it.  They are making a second season. If you like European directed series you must watch Crossing Lines :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Broadchurch finished. I figured out the killer around episode 5 but wasn't certain, and I figured it out due to the way the show was done rather than any hints and such. Totally took the wife by surprise. I liked how it didn't end after they nabbed the killer, and went on to show a bit of the aftermath, the emotional toll on the family, and those who knew the killer. The American version is going to screw it up.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

That's great news, I expect to see some hot, seductive witches :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Finished watching The Killing season 1.  American adaptation of the Danish series, The Crime.  Set in Seattle and centers on the murder of a teenage girl called Rosie Larsen.  Tons of plot twists.  Really good show.   Just ordered season 2 on DVD.

Has anyone been watching The White Queen (BBC/Starz) or The Fall (BBC2) with Gillian Anderson?   Looking for some feedback and brief non-spoiler reviews.  :)

The Fall is excellent, very short but worth well worth it.  They are making a second season. If you like European directed series you must watch Crossing Lines :)

Bruce, thanks for the tip on Crossing Lines.    Waiting for it to hit DVD.  :)

Finished The Killing season 2.  Thought I had guessed the identity of the killer but the show had one final surprise.  Third season in the works.

Also finished watching season 1 of Persons of Interest.   It's an interesting twist on a Prism-like computer system.  Season 2 coming out on DVD next week.  :) 

Watching Sons of Anarchy season 5 now.     

• Like 1

Have you watched the previous two AHS series?

How can you ask such a question, of course. Hasn't everyone? :)

John Milton 

No.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No.

OMG Walsie !!!!

I can't believe you never have watched American Horror Story  :aiee:  Where have you been living, the shows are brilliant. Especially if you think the whole French Maid or Nun costume looks sexy and you like horror these shows are a must :yes:

John Milton