Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter

C2B

Opinions?  Should I get this game?  I don't mind the WoW art style that much, but is it a good RPG?

Yes. Buy it now.

To the point.  Very well I shall get it when I get home from work tonight.

I picked this up on the steam sale. Gorgeously colourful and some nice tongue in cheek humour.

Great game. My one quibble at the moment is that Steamworks doesn't seem to like playing multiplayer games with people who bought from GoG?

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

I've played for an hour and for now I am not very impressed. Don't like the graphics and the combat could be much cleaner.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Without a doubt the best RPG released in the last... what, three or four years? And the most faithfully old school RPG since the end of the Infinity Engine. I cannot imagine anyone enjoying Obsidian games and regretting purchasing this one.

Combat is fairly standard if you play it standardly. If you start using the interactible environment and skills creatively, there's no limits. Leave your mage near some mines that you've found, get the rogue to approach some orcs and initiate combat. Launch a fire arrow near an oil barrel to get a conflagration going. Use the pyramids (Pyramid A teleports wielder to Pyramid B) to get the rogue back to where the mage is. As the enemies approach on foot, the mage casts teleport, picks up an orc and drops him on top of a mine, creating a poisonous glob over the ground. As other orcs approach the glob, cast fireball to set fire to the glob...

Same deal with quests. Pick pet pal and speak to the dog who is totally into the fragrance of smelly old boots to get hints about the murder mystery (and, in fact, bring him various underwear of the suspects you pilfer in order to get more hints). Dig up graves. Use telekinesis to move blinds inbetween you and the NPC sneakily so they can't see you steal their crap. And so on...

• Like 7

Looks like they've finally sorted out the ability to recall the used beta keys and claim back new Steam or GOG keys. Messy launch, but glad that's sorted at least. Only found out by checking manually though, no email or KS update to communicate the fact, eh.

(No giving away of keys from me, sorry, since I intend to be playing co-op :p)

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I think this game rather proves my thesis -

No emo NPCs or Omnisexual fanservice

No social justice developer guilt

No social issues

No plot to speak of

No wordy exposition

Totally vanilla setting...

And it rocks. Utterly rocks. Because, as Tigs points out earlier... you can do stuff. In really cool ways. It's got *gasp* gameplay.

Modern RPG developers please take note.

• Like 5

sonsofgygax.JPG

See, I am having a bad response to this game. It is a hot mess. Now, with that said, it can be a fun hot mess. The lack of documentation really bugs me. The increasing encouragement to participate in degenerate game play, and the sheer randomness trial and error nature of combat encounters gets my nerves very quickly. 

I really have to take it small doses or else I will throw my computer out the window. 

No social issues

No plot to speak of

No wordy exposition

I don't see how you can say any of this.

See, I am having a bad response to this game. It is a hot mess. Now, with that said, it can be a fun hot mess. The lack of documentation really bugs me. The increasing encouragement to participate in degenerate game play, and the sheer randomness trial and error nature of combat encounters gets my nerves very quickly. 

I really have to take it small doses or else I will throw my computer out the window.

The combat was kinda frustrating me early on (difficulty went way up since early beta ;)), but that was because I was treating it as I would do other cRPGs. We've(*) lately been so conditioned to stay on the path developers pave for use that (ab)using our environment in combat is something we don't naturally think of anymore. So once I started using the environment better combat has become a lot more rewarding (and fun(ny) ;) ).

* at least, I assume it was not just me that had a "What the...? This actually *works*...???"...

All I have to say is thank god PoE is RTwP. I have nothing against TB games but for now I'm finding the combat awful in this game.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

No social issues

No plot to speak of

No wordy exposition

I don't see how you can say any of this.

...but...but I just did.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Great game. My one quibble at the moment is that Steamworks doesn't seem to like playing multiplayer games with people who bought from GoG?

That's because they released 4 patches in the last 3 days... and GOG is thus running 4 patches behind still :/

Can't say I'm a fan of TBS either, but I definitely don't mind it that badly in Original Sin. Fast and brutal... not extremely drawn out. Gets my approval :)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee