Might & Magic X Teased by Ubisoft, To Be Revealed at PAX East

Something feels different about the turn based combat GUI. Is the hotkey bar changing for every party member's turn (vs. hotkeyed assigned spells/just press attack or cast)? I'd find that confusing/weird I think, but I'd get used to it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Never underestimate how many demos are smoke and mirrors since the game is not finished yet.  It's possible your concern is accurate, but it's also possible that there's reasons for not showing walking on grass (bugs, lack of implementation of some feature, etc.).  Could also just be pure ol' coincidence.

That's really old "old school" with a face lift, even though it isn't really an improvement over MM3-5. Sure, the graphics are of a different quality and higher resolution of course, but it's not really a better one, imo. Shocking. Guess there won't be any freeroaming and flying can only be ackward with diagonal four corner movement.. I wonder if there is going to be any area spells like Startburst or Meteor Shower or something like that. It's just a demo, but..

(Signatures: disabled) 

One of the main reasons I can't really go back to those old first-person games is how there's nothing visually distinct from standing on one tile or another one in the same locale. New graphics solve that problem, but can't say I'm particularly enthused about the extremely discrete notion of movement and position those games had and which the video seems to hint at.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Nice interview, thanks.

- So that's what 'grid-based' mean.. I was thinking of hexa-something-grids.. Explains a lot. I actually thought I read that in a context with HOMM, but I must have dozed off or skimmed too fast.

- Would make more sense to call this game M&M V.2, than X, since it's apparenly attaches itself more to V than later. 

- They didn't really reply to the question whether it would just be corridor (/railroading) based, but I guess that's probably the case.

- Too bad you didn't ask about whether it's going to be part real-time like MM6 and later or totally turn-based. 

(Signatures: disabled) 

I was kinda hoping they'd ditch the gridbased movement and facing when out of combat, and would go for hex (or octo) grid instead of square for in-combat movement. Harder to implement (I think), but it would've offered a bit more dimensions for combat. Not a big deal though, the game looks very interesting as it is.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Nostalgia convinced me to pick up M&M 8 on GOG.  Geez, the graphics are really bad...kind of regret spending $6 on it.

:biggrin: Hurlshot my fine feathered friend, don't you know that graphics aren't everything? Think of all the exciting gameplay that awaits you on the journey down this "golden age of gaming " through M&M 8.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well I knew I wasn't going to play 6 games, I wasn't that nostalgic, but yeah I should have picked up World of Xeen.  It was actually $10 instead of $6 for that pack though.

I looked at Lands of Lore as well.  I actually have Wizardry 5 on CD's, so maybe that's my best bet for nostalgia :)

Funny, that link is for a game called "Grimoire", not "Wizardry" (and yeah, I know the history, but Grimoire isn't Wizardry 9, its Grimoire).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Funny, that link is for a game called "Grimoire", not "Wizardry" (and yeah, I know the history, but Grimoire isn't Wizardry 9, its Grimoire).

Really ?  uuRQC2g.gif

I know, right?

In other news, the sky is blue.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There just is no corpse they won't dig up huh.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

• 4 months later...

Now I am sad. It seems the M&M they are making now, the X "Legacy", is more of a Legend of Grimrock-like game, but many times larger. Nothing wrong with that, but I wanted an experience resembling M&M VI, VII or VIII. I wanted some space Kreegan at the end, with lasers and all. I wanted to fly around and turn into a lich. I wanted riddles and special crafting. I wanted fruits in the trees and secret treasures beyond rocks. But I'm getting none of that. Bohoo! ;(  

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***