Might & Magic X Teased by Ubisoft, To Be Revealed at PAX East

Regardless of who the dev is (Obsidian would be nice), I'd like the game to be reminiscent of MM6 than anything else -- which, of course, is way too wishful thinking...

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Well, we do know Obsidian's been working on another publisher-backed deal, and M&M is up their alley. Less than a week until we get some juicy details.

Personally, I've only played 2 and 6, both of which I enjoyed at the time. I still remember the encounter tune from 2...

MM6 was very impressive.. Somehow it manage to use a few tricks to fool my memory into thinking it looked much better, still.

The last MM game that only had a number (latin number for 9) for a title was pretty horrible. This one is more or less, mostly less, but actually more, than the last one.. (Last one was IX, which is more than X, but at the same time less.. to speak).

(Signatures: disabled) 

I don't consider M&M as a general fit to Obsidian's typical M.O., but then again, same applied to Dungeon Siege. Have to admit I'm not a fan of the series in general - way too combat oriented for me - but will give it a chance. It's one series where I wouldn't mind if the gameplay style was rebooted, though obviously the long-time fans of that design will fight me for it.

Incidentally, first western RPG series to hit double digits? After 27 years it's finally overtaken Ultima. :sorcerer:

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Well I played 6, 7 and 8 and I liked them but personaly I would not play another first person party based game. This game design grown really old for me but we will see.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Chances are certainly there (Ubisoft was also mentioned in the RPS Interview), but this tweet is why I'm a bit skeptical as of now. (Response to an SP question in January)

@SUPERT0FUBOY No... don't have an update yet though. We've barely met our contacts at Ubi, so it'll be a bit before things gets sorted.

Of course, that can also just refer to contacts relating to the game itself.

Edited by C2B

I thought all the signs pointed to OE's next project being a Lucas/Disney deal?

Nope. Actually, less signs due to Obsidian mentioning they pitched it, at a time they were already working on the new project. They also specifically mentioned they hadn't contacted Disney yet at the time.

Giving abominable HOMM VI from Ubi, I have no high hopes. Especially after Nival refused to develop HOMM VI beacuse:

"We cannot work under such fettering conditions from the publisher" © S. Orlovskiy

And at first Nival stated that they are ready to work on 6th part of the game...

So Ubi hired a studio with numerous fail projects and who gone bankrupt after HOMM VI failure.

Edited by Cultist

MzpydUh.gif

I don't think Obsidian will be a good fit for M&M. Their strenghts are elsewhere. Unless they kind of "reboot" the series in a new direction, but then the old fans will feel betrayed even if is a good game.

Can't see any way it won't be 'rebooted'. I liked M&M VI/ VII a lot, but even at the time they were very much a greater than the sum of their parts proposition. They had poor graphics, inconsistent and exploitable gameplay, vestigial storylines, bad sound- pretty much everything about them was far surpassed by other titles. Ubisoft is pretty decent comparatively about making 'niche' PC games, but I very much doubt they're looking for something that niche.

Wow, they need to hire a non-**** graphic design team.

Also, they ruined Heroes of Might and Magic (well, NWC actually started the decline with IV, but V was frenchie garbage that didn't have anything to do with M&M,) so this can't bode any better. It'll probably just be a Skyrim clone since M&M had a first-person perspective.

Heroes of Might and Magic is not the same thing as Might and Magic.

So? Ubisoft ****ed up Heroes when NWC already nailed down the whole formula near-perfectly with III, why would you think their performance would suddenly do a 180 from their established track record with Heroes V & VI?

No Dark Messiah = no interest.

Dark Messiah was little more than a slightly improved version of Arx Fatalis. Dishonored is a drastic improvement over Dark Messiah. Don't even pretend they're unrelated, it's exactly the same fundamental game design/combat mechanics in all three, DM just had better UI design and an absurdly kick-focused design ethic, Dishonored is the only one to actually make the formula work well. Edited by AGX-17

Not interested. This is more than likely going to be something like the Ultima game Bioware is doing.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So? Ubisoft ****ed up Heroes when NWC already nailed down the whole formula near-perfectly with III, why would you think their performance would suddenly do a 180 from their established track record with Heroes V & VI?

I don't.  But I don't have lack of faith in a game of one series because a different game of a different series wasn't very good.

Pretty hard to speculate on that picture, but if they go with a more retro style it could be cool.  Ubisoft might be looking at the success of a game like Grimrock and decide to use their classic license for something good.  Or they might bastardize it, who knows?

I sadly never got into Might and Magic series. I tried going back and playing older RPGs after I enjoyed the IE games so much. Some I really got into, like Fallout but others no. 

The games always felt awkward for me, controlling 4 party members in one first person view just felt weird. I guess I was just used to the positioning that the IE games afforded me and got frustrated.