Mass Effect Trilogy

Rosbjerg

I'm without proper internet access until friday, and without my surround system until I get new speaker wires and a stand for my center... considering saving this until I'm all sorted, but probably gonna cave in and do it over the weekend...

Hi Nep :)

Good to see you back

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Okay, I just ran through Citadel tonight. The gameplay isn't anything special, the story has a nice..quirky element to it. But god dammit, it's worth it for the dialogue and atmosphere between all the companions and general call outs.

"You guys are Team Mako"

"What's a Mako?"

"You, you're Team Hammerhead"

"Hah, Mako is better then Hammerhead"

The play on Shepard picking companions

"I've only got room for Shepard and two others.."

<squad pick - then panning shot of every other companion stood there looking pouty>

background mutters of Garus "Damn it, I wanted to go."    Cortez "Why do I never get picked??"

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

No idea if it's good or not, but I bought the Citadel DLC to satisfy my curiosity ;)

I think I may have to finish that game of ME2 (and continuation of a ME1 game) I started last year and then play through ME3 again some day.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I've always planned to sit down one day when I have a long expanse of free time and play through the entire trilogy back to back. Perhaps there will be a DLC bundle for cheap then.

Despite my disappointment in the ending, I really like the ME games. It has fun gameplay and the NPCs grow on you. 

Does seem like they gave people what they wanted with this one.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What did we want? :unsure:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I wanted Legion. :(

He is the most neglected companion in the franchise.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

What did we want? :unsure:

Well not you people. But just browsing other sites, people like the relaxed atmosphere and hanging out with Shepard's friends (although come on, there's a war on! :p).  Weirdos aside, anyway.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Do weapon levels do anything in multiplayer?

Reduced weight is what I remember, don't recall if they do more damage.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't know if it's just a run of back luck or what, but it seems 2 out of every 3 lobbies I try to join has the host simply just sitting there.  Even after sitting there for 2 or 3 minutes, they won't click 'ready'.  Worse, there's usually another person in the lobby also doing that.

It literally takes me ten minutes to find an actual match because I keep being put in lobbies with folks that are off taking a dump or something.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Haha Citadel is pure camp but I'm loving it.

Heh, yup, it is a lot of campy space opera. But it's all that poking fun at themselves and banter that just made it all worthwhile.

The little things like overhearing the conversation of the Infiltrator and Vorcha on the citadel... "And that bloody Vanguard kept charging around all over the place. Then he picks up the backpack..and what does he do? He Charges! Eeeverybody knows if you charge you drop the backpack. And he kept doing it!!"

Shepard's realisation of how he sounds and his attempts to emphasise different words..

Then some of those conversations during the party.  Tali's description and act of the differences between SR1 and SR2.. Garrus And Zaeed trying to turn the apartment into a death trap, Grunt telling neighbours they can't come in, and finally ending up drunk in the shower...

They're all silly things. But they just somehow work in an amusing way and feel right for all the characters.

• Like 1

The level of permutations for the party is just staggering.  It's unbelievably well done when you pull back and look behind the scenes.  It's exceptionally complex.

I didn't have Zaeed, for example, so they nestled Garrus in to some other aspect of the party and it just worked so well.

The party is pretty much the whole point to this dlc. The "story" and combat areas are pretty much a short element, and then the majority is that catch up with the team and deal with the party.

It's pretty much pure fanwankery. But it's awesomely cheesy good.

• Like 1

It was fun, I found the mission fun, too, really like a blend of the best parts of Kasumi and Shadow Broker. I even managed to die quite a few times, hasn't happened to me in a while on the regular difficulty...

Had a talk with a friend about the party, even whennwe had identical crews and the same love interest, we still had significant dufferences in how it played out. Really impressive.

Overall a wonderful end to the trilogy, at least when played out of chronology post-ending. I'll have to see what it feels like when fully integrated...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I think chronology wise.. it would fit in best played just after Thessia. Then you've really got everybody having the run down feel, having slogged through most of it, and needing to blow off steam... As well as providing the best moment for the Normandy to get a quick overhaul....

I  mean, it has to be after the Cerberus Coup, and you have to run through a couple of other missions if you want all the crew to turn up...

I found out that I could use a saved game from my first playthrough of ME3 for the 'Citadel' DLC.

Not finished yet, but when I thought I was done, I'm suddenly stuck having to organize a party :sorcerer:

All I can say so far is: "Bwahahaha!" :lol:

Most fun I've had playing a Bioware... "anything" really for years. The banter is just hilarious. I wonder if I would have met more party members if I'd had more save games to chose from. Looking forward to finish my ME2 game so I can start from scratch with a full roster.

Tali ranting about the ruined fish tank made me spill my coffee when guffawing and I felt slightly sore afterwards from wearing a stupid grin most of the time.

• Like 2

If you just want to test out different combinations of companions, attitudes, renegage/paragon etc for the party, I'd say get hold of Gibbed's Mass Effect editor rather then play through eeeeverything all over again. Then just load up saves from before you start Citadel. :shifty:

If you just want to test out different combinations of companions, attitudes, renegage/paragon etc for the party, I'd say get hold of Gibbed's Mass Effect editor rather then play through eeeeverything all over again. Then just load up saves from before you start Citadel. :shifty:

I dunno, I kind of like to play everything up to ~Thessia, and Horizon does compensate for it. From then on, though... :)

Ah, but if you want the different combinations of ME1 & ME2 as well...

ME3 has lots of good moments, but it's got some annoying moments to it, It's like 90% of funable stuff and then it hits that point...

The overheard conversations make a nice touch, but "overheard fetch quests" as pretty much the sole sidequest elements was a bit sucky.

War Readiness as an idea was interesting, but making it completely dependant on multiplayer was pretty much an automatic turnoff.

It's just a shame that for the finale you could go from the heights of goodness that was Tuchanka.. to the lows that were, well, multicoloured endings. ;)

Either way, Citadel is certainly a good addition and worth running through.

Ah, but if you want the different combinations of ME1 & ME2 as well...

That's what I meant, I like playing the whole trilogy up until that point. :)

I have to admit, after replaying Priority Thessia...

The general idea behind it is great. The hidden Prothean Beacon being the secret of Asari supremacy, groovy.

But the execution annoys me.

You get the annoyance factor of Kai Leng. A guy you basically kick the crap out of easily, who only gets by you because a gunship blows the floor from under your feet. And he then gloats about how he was so skilled and capable. It's like.. are you hallucinating or just suffering head trauma from how much I was kicking your ass?

And how the hell does an omni-glove interface with a beacon and upload all it's data and VI, whilst stripping the beacon bare in a matter of seconds?

Combine that with the fact that you can't yell at the Asari for not listening to you four years earlier, or helping out before hand while they had a working beacon on their home planet. All you have is Shepard being all "I'm sorry".

Damn right I'm sorry. I'm sorry you lied to the galaxy, I'm sorry you refused to help, I'm sorry you waited until half your people were dead before admitting that you had something useful on your planet.

Dang it. After the highs of Tuchanka, how did they hit the low that was Thessia?

• Like 2