What you did today

Gorth

It will be Khan ;)

I would be disappointed if it turns out to be so. Pick someone different, that hasn't been done in any film version yet. I'm really not that keen on the movie itself....the reboot was an ok sci-fi action film but to me this new series will never be real Star Trek. Still...I want to know who Cumberbatch is playing, darnit. :lol: Someone recognizable, or someone completely new? Ah well, we'll know eventually.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, one has to decide whether one is interested to overcome the estrangedness with family. If one just says "we are estranged so any contact is only out of family duty" then of course one will drift further appart. It's really up to each person to decide whether they are happy this way or not. *shrug*

Yes but there is a difference between relatives who want to truly reconcile and invite you somewhere and you getting an invite to a wedding from people who have had no contact with you for years but feel they should invite you. I object to the insincerity of these types of events. This is just as example, I could name others

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yes but there is a difference between relatives who want to truly reconcile and invite you somewhere and you getting an invite to a wedding from people who have had no contact with you for years but feel they should invite you. I object to the insincerity of these types of events. This is just as example, I could name others

All I am saying is that one person has to do the first step and saying hat "they are insincere therefor I refuse" is not it. It's ok if people decide they are not interested in salvaging a situation, but unless there is good reason, it can be seen as equally insincere to the accuse the other side.

Just speaking as someone who is on reltively good terms again with a formerly estranged relative ;)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

All I am saying is that one person has to do the first step and saying hat "they are insincere therefor I refuse" is not it. It's ok if people decide they are not interested in salvaging a situation, but unless there is good reason, it can be seen as equally insincere to the accuse the other side.

Just speaking as someone who is on reltively good terms again with a formerly estranged relative ;)

I agree with you in your example :)

My point is more about this strange behavior with human beings where they feel the need to invite people to events and functions but they don't actually like the person or they don't really want them there. But they feel some sort of obligation. Personally I prefer not being invited in these examples

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

We had this one guy during the masters programme... Had to put up with him because there were only 20 of us and we would see each other every day for 9 months and the class was the social group for that period of time. And some people were too lazy, cowardly, naive to say "yes we are a tiny group and we should, when doing something as a class invite everyone in the class, but if a certain someone chooses to be a racists, sexist, chauvinist piece of filth we would be ashamed to be associated with, then maybe an exception should be made".

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

We had this one guy during the masters programme... Had to put up with him because there were only 20 of us and we would see each other every day for 9 months and the class was the social group for that period of time. And some people were too lazy, cowardly, naive to say "yes we are a tiny group and we should, when doing something as a class invite everyone in the class, but if a certain someone chooses to be a racists, sexist, chauvinist piece of filth we would be ashamed to be associated with, then maybe an exception should be made".

Interesting point, so are you saying this guy was invited to your social functions after class. And he was generally obnoxious?

John Milton 

Interesting point, so are you saying this guy was invited to your social functions after class. And he was generally obnoxious?

Yeah "obnoxious" that is a nice way of putting it ;) I think half of us do not talk to him at all anymore. Have him blocked on facebook and his emails tagged as spam. But I do dread the possibility of him being present when we are due back for the graduation ceremony, as my upbringing prevents me from punching people's teeth out...

Edited by melkathi

Yeah "obnoxious" that is a nice way of putting it ;) I think half of us do not talk to him at all anymore. Have him blocked on facebook and his emails tagged as spam. But I do dread the possibility of him being present when we are due back for the graduation ceremony, as my upbringing prevents me from punching people's teeth out...

:) Now thats a good example of my point

Can I ask a question, why did no one sit him down and diplomatically say how he was offending people? Be honest but polite and say he needs to change. Do you think he knows people don't like him?

John Milton 

Can I ask a question, why did no one sit him down and diplomatically say how he was offending people? Be honest but polite and say he needs to change. Do you think he knows people don't like him?

Wasn't possible. You would have gotten a speech on why you are a narrow minded person who needs to learn to accept other people's opinions.

Had a drink with the ex yesterday while she was in town. It's like taking drugs, an instant high followed by a down period. She used to be my best friend, I'm hoping that I'll get desensitised if we meet more regularly and talk just about work and her kid. :p Also, canceled the application to another (temporary) job I had going, decided that I'd rather stay here until June than switch jobs to something that would last until the end of August. Have had two really bad days at work right after.

The two resulted in me having highly realistic dreams about my teeth falling off, a non-existent night's sleep and a splitting headache at work today.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Had a drink with the ex yesterday while she was in town. It's like taking drugs, an instant high followed by a down period. She used to be my best friend, I'm hoping that I'll get desensitised if we meet more regularly and talk just about work and her kid. :p Also, canceled the application to another (temporary) job I had going, decided that I'd rather stay here until June than switch jobs to something that would last until the end of August. Have had two really bad days at work right after.

The two resulted in me having highly realistic dreams about my teeth falling off, a non-existent night's sleep and a splitting headache at work today.

Ouch Nep, doesn't sound like a fun fulled few days :(

I recommend a few, friendly Tequila's to sooth away that frustration :)

• Like 2

John Milton 

Odd, seems within 20 people you can safely ignore one person. Or hell, you can do it within two people.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Odd, seems within 20 people you can safely ignore one person. Or hell, you can do it within two people.

Hard when they are loud and make a point of trying to be the center of attention. What are you going to do? Get up from the table every time the person sits down? It gets tedious after a while. Esecially when you have too many cowards in the group who will not do so because then they would have to have an opinion.

Though I will point out to university again in spring, that I would have expected them to handle someone like that more efficiently at least during lectures.

I've ignored people at the table before. It's not that hard, really, becomes even fun after a while just to look through them or act as if they never said anything. Did that to one guy in the last year of University. Guess it must have been hard for you being the only brave one though.

Today is a fun day of dealing with a component no one seems to have written documentation down for. Huzzah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, which shows in the post I wrote. The best friend part alluded to the fact that she probably knows more "secrets" about me than anyone else, and in spite of the fact that she epically dumped me, she's basically the one person I feel comfortable talking to about everything. So, I hope I'll be able to focus more on that part and less on the loss and lust I feel now that we only meet rarely. :p

I've still got that 18yo bruichladdich bottle going, I've been slacking. Probably going to sample some when I get home from work. Of course booze + headache = more headache.

Bruce has the right idea here Nep, but not Tequila. Please not that. Jose Cuervo will have you calling her at 3 AM trying to get back together. Only it will be hard to talk with a bloody lip from the brawl you'll have gotten into earlier. You'll wake up with a black eye, cut knuckles, busted lip lying on the floor in a puddle of vomit with the phone in your hand and no memory of how any of it happened or who you called! Now everyone is mad at you and you won't even know why!

Nothing good ever comes from Tequila. Trust me I've done extensive field research on THAT subject!

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I once read some type of article on "helpful advice to an aspiring gentleman". The only item from the list I remember was that when somebody mentions either "tequila" or "challenge" at a bar, leave immediately. :)

Edit: I think it was the two together. So that margarita bucket I'm having when I leave is still ok, right?!

Edited by Nepenthe

It will be Khan ;)

I would be disappointed if it turns out to be so. Pick someone different, that hasn't been done in any film version yet. I'm really not that keen on the movie itself....the reboot was an ok sci-fi action film but to me this new series will never be real Star Trek. Still...I want to know who Cumberbatch is playing, darnit. :lol: Someone recognizable, or someone completely new? Ah well, we'll know eventually.

Well apparently Abrahms has confirmed that the blonde bobcut girl is in fact a young Carol Marcus... Which means I doubt Cumberbatch will be Kahn. Slipping in one character from Wrath of Khan is a thing, especially as if you think about the timelines that would actually be roughly around the time Kirk met her and ended up siring the kid in the "original timeline".

Although to be fair, we all know Kirk had to leave a whoole lot of bastards running around the universe...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

...and I have to say, trying to find somewhere that will deliver Dry Fly Vodka in California and accepts a billing address in the UK is bloody hard if you happen to be using the internet.

It might just be reaching a point of being more awkward then the humour value is worth....

...and I have to say, trying to find somewhere that will deliver Dry Fly Vodka in California and accepts a billing address in the UK is bloody hard if you happen to be using the internet.

I imagine it would be even harder without the internet. :p

Apparently my long-term skin issues seem to be improving, and there are hopes I might be rid of them fully. The nice part in that is that I could probably start hitting the pool for workouts again if it won't feel like molten lava due to the chlorine, and that would work wonders on my sex appeal. :p

Also, one of those 5 hours of meetings in a row and then supposed to start work for real. Like **** I will. :D

Well the temperature is certainly dropping here in Merry Olde England. That cold front the meteorologists are calling "The Beast" certainly seems to have hit us. The garden grass is white with frost even now in the early stages of the afternoon, and the garbage bin lids are sticking together with aforementioned frost.

My cubby hole of a computer cupboard that I use my pc in happens to be next to the upstairs toilet, which is proving interesting today since every 15-30 minutes I have family running past to throw up... Luckily whatever bug or cause of it seems to have past me by. Although it is a bit distracting from attempts at work thought.

Have to brave the wind chill in a bit to take some christmas cards up to the post office to send airmail , and pick up assorted necessities from the shops in the village...

Although I'm also expecting the Kindle Paperwhite that I've getting my mother for christmas to arrive in the post today. Hm, whether to hold on in case it turns up soon, or try darting out to deal with the other stuff and be out of the house if it does arrive sooner rather then later... Decisions decisions..

Spent most of the night/early morning on the toilet floor. I wish it was drinking related, but it wasn't. Was ill as hell. Still feel crappy as ****. I've eaten a few biscuits in the last 20 hours, and that's about it. Only been drinking a few glasses of water. I'm just happy if I can keep it in, otherwise, I run like a madman to the nearest toilet seat. I know, not what people want to read on a message board, but right now I feel sorry for myself and am probably not thinking straight.

I hate winter.