What are you playing now?

Gorth

@melkathi

I agree that they simplified KA2 too much. I actually don't mind the army limitation, but I do miss owning the strongholds and whatnot. There are aspects of the infrastructure building that would've been great WITH the stuff from the first. Stand alone it's just not quite as good.

Aspects of the research are interesting, but again underutilized by the underwhelming strategy game.

I don't think I played the prologue. Was it a DLC? I rarely buy DLC so if so, then I am not playing it haha.

Edited by alanschu

I purchased my Controller yesterday. I got a Microsoft Xbox Controller, so I'll be using it now with Sleeping Dogs :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@melkathi

I don't think I played the prologue. Was it a DLC? I rarely buy DLC so if so, then I am not playing it haha.

It was originally a pre-order bonus, that could be played a couple of weeks before release while waiting for the core game. They later released it as a DLC "Dead Legions" or something like that, I think.

It adds quite a bit to the game because it is a prelude to what happens, explaining quite a bit of what is going on and fleshing out a couple of npcs that otherwise may have you go "Huh?" (though it probably had a lot of people go "Huh?" when they started up the prologue and where playing romans with no mention of Camelot or anything arthurian :) )

The real problem? It is probably a better story than the main campaign and set up better. You actually go through a character creation process with multiple choice scenarios that define your stats, class and starting troops.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Picked up Miasmata from GoG. Total impulse, never heard of it, but watched

and said "looks cool."

Graphically, it has some aspects/times that look nice when in-game/in motion, but is dated. It seems poorly optimized and has a hard time getting much more than 35fps in 1920x1080 (max settings) but if you drop it to 1600x900 it's better. For me, at 35fps it ran ok but felt a bit "jerky" when you spin around too fast. Some people are getting very bad lag and have to play at even lower resolutions. Known issue, they're looking into it. And when I change resolutions, it sometimes freaks out and I have to restart it for it to apply properly.

Other than that, since it plays fine for me one notch down, I'm having fun. As an "adventure/action" game I like it a lot better than Walking Dead. Sorry. :p It's about exploration, avoiding some kind of boogey-animal if you can, whilst finding a cure for your disease and maybe finding out what happened to the people before you etc. Plus, it has squirrels.

Miasmata-00006a.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

@melkathi

It was originally a pre-order bonus, that could be played a couple of weeks before release while waiting for the core game. They later released it as a DLC "Dead Legions" or something like that, I think.

It adds quite a bit to the game because it is a prelude to what happens, explaining quite a bit of what is going on and fleshing out a couple of npcs that otherwise may have you go "Huh?" (though it probably had a lot of people go "Huh?" when they started up the prologue and where playing romans with no mention of Camelot or anything arthurian :) )

The real problem? It is probably a better story than the main campaign and set up better. You actually go through a character creation process with multiple choice scenarios that define your stats, class and starting troops.

Well, I did go through the character creation process (choose archers, am a champion, and helped all refugees)

Well, I did go through the character creation process (choose archers, am a champion, and helped all refugees)

Hmm I haven't played in a while. For some reason with the main campaign it didn't stick with me :)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Are you going to bash that rock against the squirrel?

I would never! ... ok, I'm lying, I did try throwing the rock at one :lol: but it didn't seem to do anything. There's rabbits, giant roaches in the grass, huge dragonflies etc...so far the wildlife seems purely decorative.

It's pretty limited to what kinds of actions you can do, I think. Rock, dagger, stick, drink water, grab/pick up certain items, hold three total plants at a time (can't be 3 of the same, either). Mostly exploring and sneaking/hiding. At least so far.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Mostly Planetside. Fun game, but the Framerate is god-awful on my computer.

Everyone except people with nuclear powered ubermachines are having FPS issues, the devs themselves have said the engine isn't anywhere near optimised. I would be playing too now if the server wouldn't have it's daily crash currently. The game got released so very too early, it has so many issues you could write a novel out of them. Beta testers, including TotalBiscuit, asked them many times to postpone the release but nooo.

The game is damn fun, but I sure won't give them a penny before the game resembles a product ready for release.

Even people with nuclear powered ubermachines do not get that sweet 60 fps consistently.

Mostly Planetside. Fun game, but the Framerate is god-awful on my computer.

Everyone except people with nuclear powered ubermachines are having FPS issues, the devs themselves have said the engine isn't anywhere near optimised. I would be playing too now if the server wouldn't have it's daily crash currently. The game got released so very too early, it has so many issues you could write a novel out of them. Beta testers, including TotalBiscuit, asked them many times to postpone the release but nooo.

The game is damn fun, but I sure won't give them a penny before the game resembles a product ready for release.

Even people with nuclear powered ubermachines do not get that sweet 60 fps consistently.

Yeah, it would seem so. I'm getting 20 fps in biggest fights, game is saying Q9550 @ 3.4Ghz is the bottleneck :huh:

Dudes, Far Cry 3 is loads and loads of fun if you're itching for some open world exploration, shooting and stealth.

Going to get that for sure, looks just like a game I would love. I skipped Far Cry 2 completely because of the respawning enemies at outposts, that really doesnt't happen in Far Cry 3?

Picked up Miasmata from GoG. Total impulse, never heard of it, but watched

and said "looks cool."

Graphically, it has some aspects/times that look nice when in-game/in motion, but is dated. It seems poorly optimized and has a hard time getting much more than 35fps in 1920x1080 (max settings) but if you drop it to 1600x900 it's better. For me, at 35fps it ran ok but felt a bit "jerky" when you spin around too fast. Some people are getting very bad lag and have to play at even lower resolutions. Known issue, they're looking into it. And when I change resolutions, it sometimes freaks out and I have to restart it for it to apply properly.

Other than that, since it plays fine for me one notch down, I'm having fun. As an "adventure/action" game I like it a lot better than Walking Dead. Sorry. :p It's about exploration, avoiding some kind of boogey-animal if you can, whilst finding a cure for your disease and maybe finding out what happened to the people before you etc. Plus, it has squirrels.

Miasmata-00006a.jpg

Don't you DARE hurt that squirrel. The Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer would be very displeased.

:bat:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hm, ever since I put in Gods and Kinds I can't play Civ 5 longer then half an hour without it freezing up and having to be crashed out.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

playing dishonored still, about 15 hours in, this game is really good.

the writing and voice acting is very stilted, but the atmosphere is great, and the gameplay solid. its a bit too easy if you just want to win, but if you want to win with panache then it becomes much more challenging.

i bought it for $30 during the steam sale and think that is an absolute bargain for a game this good. its closer in overall quality to bioshock than the original deus ex or system shock, but if you enjoyed bioshock or deus ex: human revolution then you should play dishonored asap because its definitely on par with those latter two games

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Going to get that for sure, looks just like a game I would love. I skipped Far Cry 2 completely because of the respawning enemies at outposts, that really doesnt't happen in Far Cry 3?

Nope, once you clear an outpost, it's yours for good. Though you might encounter enemies raoming around. You also encounter some random events such as the locals being robbed by pirates and such. I once came across some poor local that was standing near the river and as I approached him, some aligator came out of the river and pulled the poor bastard in. :)

Ahh, I gotta wait till Tuesday due to being in the States. Are you playing it on the Xbox or PC?

PS3. But I would have went with the PC version if I had a decent rig. Doesn't run that smooth on the PS3, but it's still playable.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Shifted this from the goty thread, as I have been playing CK2 recently having got up to date with the expansions and it isn't really on topic there.

Why don't you like CK2?

I don't actually dislike it though I will sound like I do; I'm mainly disappointed with its wasted potential. Main problems are:

1) The larger country wins pretty close to every single war fought, and the larger army wins close to every battle fought

2) There's no real bonus to having exceptional characters, because above a certain realm size everyone has exceptional characters. That is also at least partly why (1) happens, since you can practically guarantee 3 very good to excellent military leaders for any sizeable realm so there cannot be a Crecy/ Poitiers/ Agincourt.

3) (1) and (2) ensure that the strong almost always get stronger resulting in blob/ stampede syndrome

4) There's a lot of cosmetic variation, but almost no practical variation. Simply put, it gets boring.

5) There's a whole lot of- completely unnecessary- ahistoricity. You cannot execute (landed) traitors without loyalists getting the hump, you cannot execute/ imprison people who murdered your own relatives and were caught doing it without people hating you.

5a) You can wage war after war, fight civil wars etc for centuries and neither go into debt nor have any long term effect on your lands.

5b) Castles take too long to siege relative to levy recharge rates, and there's no 'surrender' mechanic (as would generally happen historically) so an enemy can be back to almost full strength in the time it takes to siege a province. There are assaults, but good luck with that if the garrison is 2k+ and you've less than 10x their numbers.

5c) Hilarious usage of allies to win wars- 16,000 Byzant cataphracts turning up to smack some random Sami count having sailed all the way around Europe to get there, all to gain a single province for their cousin, who isn't even in their realm. For a defensive war, maybe, but for an aggressive one and with the (ahistorical) stability of the Fatimids and Seljuks?

It's a game with almost limitless potential but overall it's a garish capering jester and I've lost my patience for hey nonny nonnys and n'uncles- while Paradox seems more interested in sewing sequins onto the motley than doing anything else.

(CK2+ is a large improvement over vanilla, and the GOT mod has even more potential than CK2 itself)