RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

Gorth

If I look at the ps3 in my room now, it kind of is a "living room pc" already. This thing is so huge, I don't even know where to stash it if I don't use it.

Other than that, I like the idea from Valve. If I understand it correct, it is still just normal pc shait, but displayed on a tv. That would mean we will get an increase in pc games again or at least pc ports / better pc ports.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

If I look at the ps3 in my room now, it kind of is a "living room pc" already. This thing is so huge, I don't even know where to stash it if I don't use it.

Other than that, I like the idea from Valve. If I understand it correct, it is still just normal pc shait, but displayed on a tv. That would mean we will get an increase in pc games again or at least pc ports / better pc ports.

Ultimately it still comes down to sales numbers. While I think that there is some benefits (especially socially) to the PC being a TV gaming machine, that's not the only advantage a console may have.

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.

How is this better than connecting a current PC to your TV? I can already play controller-friendly games via Steam in the living room doing that.

....then again, I guess most people don't want to build multiple PC's for multiple rooms like we do, so I suppose there's a market.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

And how is this very controlled environment any different from a console?

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

It'll run the same software your PC does?

How is it controlled, then? There suddenly been an influx of linux software I've missed? :)

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

In other news, the Spike VGA is over and the winners are the usual random nonsense as always. Though they managed to pick 2-3 actually good ones this year.

http://www.spike.com/events/video-game-awards-2012-nominees/voting/game-of-the-year

controlled environment = console

whatever OS it will run...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

What's even the point of this anyway? Either you use a PC, or you use a console. Valve wants to have some sort of a middlething there but I don't see the advantage of it.

I imagine the point is that Valve want to start selling console games to console gamers through Steam even if it means they have to release their own console with Steam onboard to do it. And Steam sales on console titles by itself would be pretty good reason for console gamers to go out and buy a Valve console.

It's just going to be a console made by Valve, probably running linux. You could have once argued that consoles were very different in terms of hardware compared to PC, but since the Xbox, Microsoft and Sony consoles aren't really different. I think what Gabe means is the hardware is going to be designed like a console or small form factor PC, like a laptop, Chromebook, or Mac Mini. Hopefully it'll be a far more open platform, so no license required for games or peripherals, and the linux rug won't be pulled like with the PS3. I don't think Valve believes in closed platforms and paying 3rd party developers for exclusives, their problem with releasing their games on other companies platforms has been because they don't like using the technology and having the restrictions placed on them. So expect the kind of models and openness of the Steam platform and store, but in console form.

Well if it works through Steam that's sort of crap. Steam prices are insane most of the year. Plus you can get steam on a PC anyway.

It would have to be significantly cheaper than a custom made PC for it to be an acceptable trade off.

Otherwise it makes sense, TVs and monitors have been interchangable for a while now.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

What's even the point of this anyway? Either you use a PC, or you use a console. Valve wants to have some sort of a middlething there but I don't see the advantage of it.

I imagine the point is that Valve want to start selling console games to console gamers through Steam even if it means they have to release their own console with Steam onboard to do it.

The obvious problem is that Valve has barely anything to offer in a console market.

Even their famous sales pale in comparison to the saving rentals and resales allow.

As long as that means that all SteamBox (?) games will continue to run on Desktop PCs with Windows, I'm fine. Heck, I'd even encourage such a move because that means we'll get even even better and more PC ports, or even SteamBox exclusives that run on PCs by default. More options and putting the PC to the forefornt.

Whatever, maybe I should just trust the God Gaben more. If there's one game company out there who does pretty much everything right, it's Valve.

There's rumours about resale being clamped down on in the next generation of consoles, games will be tied to your PSN or Live account. Also plenty of people like to own games. Most people aren't going to build custom PCs, Valve aren't even going to try to compete for enthusiast PC gamers. In terms of software there's plenty that Valve can offer, they do things differently to Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony. We don't have any of the details of the hardware yet, something we haven't seen from Valve, so we can't say anything about whether it brings anything new to the console market or not.

Valve do things pretty much exactly the same as Sony/ MS et al only 'better' as (at present) they get people to turn their PCs into steamboxes themselves rather than having to manufacture and design loss leading hardware. The software part of the console is the important part as that is the part which makes money, and steam has pretty much every single console software characteristic already.

How exactly their hardware ventures are meant to work is a bit of a mystery as the vast majority of the games they currently sell don't work well or at all on Linux, and they aren't going to get a cheap windows licencing deal to compete against MS's own product. So it'll be loss leading hardware trying to sell software on an OS that no mass market game makers are targeting, pretty much the exact reverse of how they've become successful in the first place.

For any fellow Borderlands 2 players out there, Gearbox is raining SHiFT golden key codes on facebook in twitter celebrating their sweep of spike's VGAs.

Or you could use a profile loophole to get millions of keys!

:shifty:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

controlled environment = console

whatever OS it will run...

Since a console is a computer, it's kind of a statement of the obvious.

It'd effectively be a console that natively runs Windows (or perhaps Linux, since Valve seems to be making a push there) software. So yeah, it's a console. That natively runs PC games. You seem to be using the term "console" as a pejorative, however.

If you're curious how it's different from, say, the XBOX 360 and the PS3, I suppose the answer would be "it depends." The PS3 and 360 are very different to develop for, and even then you can't just take code compiled for the 360 and expect it to run natively on the PC. A "PC console" would literally be a console that can just as well take the PC game that you're playing in your desktop, and still run it. Or perhaps more appropriately, a game developed for the "PC console" runs on your PC with no extra work required. As a PC gamer, this doesn't sound appealing to you?

If you're talking about things like game development, it'd mean that the process of deploying software wouldn't be mandated by Sony or Microsoft. You could argue whether or not this is good or bad, but the most obvious difference would be the licensing fee per copy of the game sold would no longer exist. Companies would have more freedom for how they deploy their content, and whether or not to charge for it and so forth. For example, Microsoft and Sony aren't too keen on DLC being free, because they ultimately provide the bandwidth for the content. This means if a developer wanted to ship some DLC for free, there's intrinsic barriers that exist.

It also means less control and regulation (which if you look at the Atari days, was bad), although maybe the industry is developed enough that such things won't be an issue.

Valve do things pretty much exactly the same as Sony/ MS et al only 'better' as (at present) they get people to turn their PCs into steamboxes themselves rather than having to manufacture and design loss leading hardware.

No.Valve don't charge licensing fees for games or DLC, they even give their platform technology away for free, the DRM, the cloud saves, the bandwidth, and their modding platforms. Valve don't charge for updating games. Valve publish their games on PC, Nac OSX, Xbox360, and PS3. Valve believe in buying a game once, and owning it on multiple platforms, so you're not paying for the same content multiple times. Valve has strongly supported user generated content, where as Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony have only recently introduced it and only mildly.

Are you trying to say that when Valve release their console: they'll introduce license fees, charge for using their Steam platform SDK, discontinue modding support, charge for updating games, leverage their games to attract users by making them exclusive, make people pay twice for the same game? I also don't seem them having a linux distro on their console, and then taking it away in an update.

Well then, pretty much exactly the same.

Yes, pretty much the same, right down to the rabid fanboyism. And, because I'm at least marginally self aware, rabid red-rag-to-bull haterism as well. Potted version, as I'm ahead of schedule on the 5 minute hate:

Offering steamworks and its features for "free" (which it isn't, it's just a different type of cost; see also Facebook_piggies.gif) is a classic loss leader strategy- because bandwidth is cheap and you'll make the costs back from a single sale. The 'beneficial' stuff they do is designed to lock people into the system, eg support of modding is not in any way a Valve specific thing, it's another PC specific thing that Valve is "embracing". Instead of a console licencing fee they have the 30% purchase cut (which is actually a lot higher, at least for full priced games). You're free to buy your steam games from other places too, but they'll only run through steam itself, just as you can buy your console games from EB or WalMart but good luck getting them to run without the console. They can even 'brick' your account remotely.

Basically it's a software console with good PR and devoted fans; using the classic Embrace, Extend, Extinguish strategy to convert PC gaming into Steam Gaming. MS was highly generous too with free Internet Explorer and free, enhanced Java as well, and everyone knows why they did that.

• Like 3

Rejoice everyone, the new xbox "sale" is here:

According to Mayan legend, the world could end on December 21, 2012. YIKES! We're betting on Mankind to prevail, though, and putting our money where our mouth is! Join Xbox LIVE Rewards and stay Gold throughout December, and we'll give you 100 Microsoft Points back when you spend 2,000 Points or more. That's a 5% rebate!

Seriously?! :getlost:

Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.