RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

Gorth

http://www.kotaku.co...skipping-wii-u/

Sad to see the cycle starting to be repeated.

It was probably a mistake to not have a more powerful CPU, and again Nintendo focus on gimmicky peripherals for core gameplay, pressuring developers to support them. With that install base, with that amount of pain in porting to the Wii U, this isn't surprising.

Hardware is not the issue, the CPU has been proven capable by the Wii hacker dude. You only need to look at Pikmin 3's gameplay videos and its pretty obvious that anything that works on XB and PS3 should easily work on WiiU. The issue is the install base which needs time to grow so that the cost of development and the risks undertaken are deemed worthwhile by dev studios.

The numbers are looking good so far, but we'll be well into 2013 when they're as good as they need to be for major publishers.

That's basically what Reggie Fils-Aime said himself.

Not exactly...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Nintendo has been practicing a different approach to the market than Sony and MS. If I recall correctly, Nintendo normally tries to make a profit on the hardware it sales, as opposed to using it as a loss leader and making up the money in software (games) and licensing like it's competitors.

Nintendo has been practicing a different approach to the market than Sony and MS. If I recall correctly, Nintendo normally tries to make a profit on the hardware it sales, as opposed to using it as a loss leader and making up the money in software (games) and licensing like it's competitors.

I wonder what is even the point or incentive to buy a Next-Gen console from Sony or MS, other than the lack of money/unwillingness to play on a PC?

There was a time when consoles had their firm right for existence, but with PC hardware having advanced so fast and services like Steam making PC gaming a lot cheaper and more convenient, Next Gen home consoles will become more or less obsolete unless you're a big fan of their first-party offering. And with the rumors confirmation of Valve's Steambox, PC gaming will get even a greater push, because developers/publishers won't be able to afford to ignore the Steambox, and porting Steambox games to general-purpose PCs shouldn't be much of trouble.

Yeah, Nintendo is actually quite smart with their decision of doing things their own way, I have to agree. Their hardware is definitely tailored towards exclusives, both First- and Third party. No point in playing a game on the Wii U that is also avalibale on all other platforms.

I foresee Sony and MS furthermore to push "filmic" style games. More hardware power will directly translate into even more cutscene heavy games, while Nintendo's weaker hardware offering will inevitably force developers to concentrate more on gameplay, not on cinematographics.

Therefor, Nintendo will win again. And Valve. And me.

Edited by Morgoth

I'm not sure why it sounds like Atari not having the money was a surprise, they had to get external funding for NWN2 as well. It certainly wasn't cowardice though, I'm sure Atari would have loved to have a BG3 made since it would potentially make them the sort of cash they needed to stay alive- but signing a contract you know you cannot fulfil isn't brave, it's fraudulent.

Any blame on Atari depends on when they knew they couldn't secure funding and whether they communicated that quickly enough or were stringing Obsidian along. The failure to secure funding itself... c'est la vie.

Edited by Zoraptor

http://kotaku.com/59...ying-games-ever

Great article about Obsidian.

He's even got a dream project: Knights of the Old Republic III. On next-gen consoles.

Hoho!

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Actually, the blame for Obsidian games is 100% on Obsidian. Whether that be a game I love like FO:NV or a game I loathe like AP. It is 100% Obsidian. They are the developer and every decision that is made on Obsidian's behalf is made by their CEO Mr. U and his fellow co owners. He even admits to this culpibility in said interview so whya re you trying to whitewash this?

Why do you want to give Bethesda or Atari credit for the awesomeness that is NV and MOTB? That's disrespectful of Obsidian and their hard work.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

No love for Godus it seems...

Could this be the first Kickstarter fail by someone who is considered to be 'big' in the industry... Oh and no Peter, people aren't pledging because they want to see the game, they're not pledging because they don't bloody trust you!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

No love for Godus it seems... http://www.kickstart...s/project-godus

Could this be the first Kickstarter fail by someone who is considered to be 'big' in the industry... Oh and no Peter, people aren't pledging because they want to see the game, they're not pledging because they don't bloody trust you!

They're closer to the goal than Hero-U was at the same stage of the project I think? In terms of percentage and not in absolute dollars however. Pretty sure they'll make it, though none of the cash is mine, yet.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Actually, the blame for Obsidian games is 100% on Obsidian. Whether that be a game I love like FO:NV or a game I loathe like AP. It is 100% Obsidian. They are the developer and every decision that is made on Obsidian's behalf is made by their CEO Mr. U and his fellow co owners. He even admits to this culpibility in said interview so whya re you trying to whitewash this?

Why do you want to give Bethesda or Atari credit for the awesomeness that is NV and MOTB? That's disrespectful of Obsidian and their hard work.

Not really. Some decisions are forced on by the publisher. Like that fugly skill based aiming circle in AP. So it is not everything on Obsidian. Mind you, I am also not speaking them free of all mistakes. Just in case that comes up now...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Not really. Some decisions are forced on by the publisher. Like that fugly skill based aiming circle in AP. So it is not everything on Obsidian. Mind you, I am also not speaking them free of all mistakes. Just in case that comes up now...

You certainly can't blame Obsidian that KOTOR II is unfinished if what Feargus Urquhart said is true. Telling a developer that they have an extra year, then taking it back is a ****ty thing to do. Some of the things, like pulling out a project at the last minute, it's almost as if they're trying to make developers go under. This is why I'm supporting KickStarter projects more than published games, because publishers can't keep behaving the way they do, I'll quit gaming before I have to put up with the stuff they're pulling.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

"You certainly can't blame Obsidian that KOTOR II is unfinished if what Feargus Urquhart said is true."

I can, and even Mr. U is man enough to admit it. He chose to go along with it. He put his organziation in that situation because he was lax contract wise. It's sad to see that Obsidian is doing the right thing and 'manning up' but their fanboys won't even allow them to do that. It's really sad. :(

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You certainly can't blame Obsidian that KOTOR II is unfinished if what Feargus Urquhart said is true. Telling a developer that they have an extra year, then taking it back is a ****ty thing to do. Some of the things, like pulling out a project at the last minute, it's almost as if they're trying to make developers go under. This is why I'm supporting KickStarter projects more than published games, because publishers can't keep behaving the way they do, I'll quit gaming before I have to put up with the stuff they're pulling.

Actually it was more like extra 3 months, I think it was supposed to release in the spring. Feargus said he didn't know what happened, but at the time it was reported that Republic Commando was supposed to be the big LA Christmas release, but since that was what they were betting on and since it couldn't be ready in time they delayed it and pulled K2 in to take its place at Christmas.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan