RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

Gorth

I don't understand the complaint that it's just a smartphone, I heard that a lot when the project was getting funded. ARM is used in a lot of devices, Tegra is one of a few graphics targeted implementations. The only thing smartphone about it is the OS

Android is a smartphone OS. You readily admit that the only thing smartphone about Ouya is the OS. Ergo, it's a smartphone with all the smartphone capabilities removed save gaming apps.

Like I said, that does not put it in the same league as consoles or gaming PCs. It makes it a suped-up smartphone (without the smartphone capabilities) meant for playing smartphone games on a TV.

Really? This list is ludicrously long. Wasteland 2 is there. Is this because there are no JRPGs for PC?

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

Android is a smartphone OS. You readily admit that the only thing smartphone about Ouya is the OS. Ergo, it's a smartphone with all the smartphone capabilities removed save gaming apps.

Non sequitur? That's like saying that because Ubuntu is a desktop OS if I put it on a netbook, tablet, phone, or server it makes those things desktops.

Like I said, that does not put it in the same league as consoles or gaming PCs. It makes it a suped-up smartphone (without the smartphone capabilities) meant for playing smartphone games on a TV.

It uses a controller not a touch screen, most smartphone games are made for touch screen and will not be ported. Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is meant to be coming to OUYA, and that's a PC/XBLA/PSN game. It's obviously not as powerful as other consoles but that doesn't mean the games won't be as good. If just smartphone games get ported to the OUYA it will fail.

http://www.pcgamer.c...1/2013-preview/

Now this is an interesting article, a really comprehensive list of games for 2013 :). There are some good ones on the way, 2013 is looking faaaaaaaaantastic.

There are some titles I have never even heard of but that only adds to the excitement.

Heh, forgot that other XCOM game was still going. Looking forward to some of those adventure games - HeXit looks like it might be cool but is vaporware I suppose.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't understand the complaint that it's just a smartphone, I heard that a lot when the project was getting funded. ARM is used in a lot of devices, Tegra is one of a few graphics targeted implementations. The only thing smartphone about it is the OS

I have no love for the Ouya, but that is a fundamentally flawed premise. Steambox will also run an *ix variant as its OS, and that does not make it a phone with the phone bits stripped out, similarly when the nextbox gets released with a Win8 variant it will not therefore be a PC or a phone because Win8 is a mobile/ desktop OS as well.

If it has the same or similar characteristics to a console then it is one even if it is running Babbage OS v0.1 on an 8086 with 16k memory. It may (likely) be a 'bad' console, of course.

Kinda meh year when it comes to bigger titles. Only intrested in Battlefield 4, South Park and Simcity (if not ruined by EA), Other than that it's mostly indie stuff / smaller games I'm waiting for, some of them should turn out okay ;)

Hate the living, love the dead.

Europa Universalis 4 :wub:

Also, two of the Kickstarter games I backed are on the list (Wasteland 2 and Conquistadors).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Wasteland 2, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Shadowrun Returns, Dead State, Eschalon: Book 3, Chaos Chronicles, Divinity: Original Sin, Cult: Awakening Of The Old Ones, Europa Universalis 4, Eador: Masters Of The Broken World, The Banner Saga: Factions, and many others... Kickstarter has proven to kickstart also my interest in new games :) Next year will be a good one, to make up for both 2012 and 2011.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Also missed that Takedown game, nice idea to try to go back to SWAT4/RVS somewhat. Those pirate RPGs sound interesting as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wasteland 2, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Shadowrun Returns, Dead State, Eschalon: Book 3, Chaos Chronicles, Divinity: Original Sin, Cult: Awakening Of The Old Ones, Europa Universalis 4, Eador: Masters Of The Broken World, The Banner Saga: Factions, and many others... Kickstarter has proven to kickstart also my interest in new games :) Next year will be a good one, to make up for both 2012 and 2011.

I agree, personally I see many games I am excited about. The main ones for me are Wasteland 2, DA3, Eschalon 3, Amnesia and Divinity.

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, previous years were a bit dry and shallow for gaming, thanks to kickstarter and some decent studios we are going to have 2 splendid years. Both 2013-2014 going to be great it seems.

Can you guys name games you remembered from 2011? I can only remember Witcher 2, Skyrim, Deus Ex HR, Batman AA, Portal 2, To the Moon and Dark Souls.

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

Interesting, Nvidia is entering the handheld gaming market at the time Sony is struggling to compete with Nintendo. Making it a general controller shape is smart, although it is a bit too much like the original Xbox controller in terms of shape. It looks like Nvidia are aiming for the same niche as Sony with Vita, but maybe with much more of an emphasis on download and streaming, it's rumoured the Shield can stream from a PC (integrating well with Steam's Big Picture) or the net competing with Wii U and OnLive, it's also said to be an open platform, something Nintendo and Sony would never do.

It was suggested that Nvidia would anger hardware partners by making this device but they're not competing with their partners in this space, the PS4 is strongly rumoured to be going AMD, and the Wii U has an AMD GPU.

Being Android based allows these devices to tap into an already massive library of media and social applications that people want on their TV, while not having the problems of poor support that smart TVs have had in the past.

It gives developers more incentive to develop games for Android based devices with GameClip, GameStick, OUYA, and now Shield. There's going to be more of these devices trying to find niches. Games are where these devices will succeed or fail, and games is where they can put the most pressure on the established entities, in terms of variety and pricing.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

You are not the first person to express excitement about this so now I am really interested :). What was good about the first one as I have never heard of it until now?

One of my favorite Turn-Based Adventure/Tactics mix. Great atmosphere, good story, very satisfying combat, cool companions. Go get it on GoG.

Gorki and Incubation with Wilderness missions are great games. There was a similar game too which i forgot its name. We were defending some lunar/martian base which was attacked by aliens... It had 2d graphics.

Edit: I also have a soft spot for X-Com Aftermath.liked it a lot than previous games and played it for a good time! Hopefully we are some incoming turn-based games coming in 2013-14 :)

Edited by cyberarmy

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

You are not the first person to express excitement about this so now I am really interested :). What was good about the first one as I have never heard of it until now?

One of my favorite Turn-Based Adventure/Tactics mix. Great atmosphere, good story, very satisfying combat, cool companions. Go get it on GoG.

Gorki and Incubation with Wilderness missions are great games. There was a similar game too which i forgot its name. We were defending some lunar/martian base which was attacked by aliens... It had 2d graphics.

Edit: I also have a soft spot for X-Com Aftermath.liked it a lot than previous games and played it for a good time! Hopefully we are some incoming turn-based games coming in 2013-14 :)

Thanks guys, they do sound good. I may just go to GOG and add Gorki to my large list of games :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Guys excellent news, it looks like Witcher 3 is not only in development but should be announced in the next 6 months. I am not sure if that means it will be released then or just confirmed ? Yaaaaaaaaay

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507025

:)

• Like 1

John Milton 

I swing my underpants in joy.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Guys excellent news, it looks like Witcher 3 is not only in development but should be announced in the next 6 months. I am not sure if that means it will be released then or just confirmed ? Yaaaaaaaaay

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=507025

Wasn't CDPR supposed to have a couple of quirky "smaller" titles in the making too (I seem to remember some talk from last fall about an "AA" and/or an "A" games being in the making)? What happened to those, or do I misrecall?

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=507025

Wasn't CDPR supposed to have a couple of quirky "smaller" titles in the making too (I seem to remember some talk from last fall about an "AA" and/or an "A" games being in the making)? What happened to those, or do I misrecall?

Yes they are also making the Cyberpunk RPG, but thats going to be at least 2 years.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/30/cd-projekt-reds-new-rpg-is-cyberpunk/

John Milton 

I don't mean the Cyberpunk game, that's not going to be a "small" title as far as I know.

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I don't mean the Cyberpunk game, that's not going to be a "small" title as far as I know.

Okay, I'm not sure?

John Milton 

Okay, I'm not sure?

Found it:

http://www.eurogamer...onsole-releases

CD Projekt Red revealed three other games at the November conference: two "A" games for 2012, and one "AA" game for 2013.

Never heard of those again since that article/interview. But meh, likely nothing too "exciting" anyway.

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 1

Wow, Eschalon 3.. I bought both parts of the series so far (and I'm still annoyed by how little recognition these two games got on this board, full of self-proclaimed proponents for turn based old school RPG's), but it had slipped out of my radar.

Rumour has it they're finally releasing mod tools. Considering that these games biggest flaw has always been a desperate lack of content, that can only be a good thing.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!