Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

Why does it matter? Because they come from the same country as you? That's silly talk. Why are people so bigoted in their 'pride' of their country? That's one of the reasons why wars occur. Ego and pride.

It doesn't matter to me if a Kanadian is successful just because he or she is Kanadian. It is totally irrelevant.

Grats to them for their wins no matter what country they happened to eb born in or call home.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Been watching the series Sliders. Now, into S3, and it's pretty awesome with maybe 1 or 2 bad episodes.. Of course, there was a lot of drama behind the scenes that brought this fantastic series to its knees in the end so I dread some of the missteps thata re sure to come. Still, S1 and S2 are easly 9/10 as is S3 so far.

QUINN 4 THA WINN!!!

Sliders started off as a great series. There were a lot of really fun ideas to it and the episodes, and the characters blended together quite nicely. But yes, unfortunately, as time went on things got a little.. weird and convoluted. And it all kind of fell apart.

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Why does it matter? Because they come from the same country as you? That's silly talk. Why are people so bigoted in their 'pride' of their country? That's one of the reasons why wars occur. Ego and pride.

It doesn't matter to me if a Kanadian is successful just because he or she is Kanadian. It is totally irrelevant.

Grats to them for their wins no matter what country they happened to eb born in or call home.

Yo Volly cheer up. Of course it's their achievement, but I'm still allowed to be happy for them alright?

I watched Dune last night, after reading the book I found it utterly infuriating, the sheer incompetence of some scenes had me staring at the screen slackjawed, there were a few cool moments but it was mostly gibberish, this is one movie that deserves a remake.

Been watching the series Sliders. Now, into S3, and it's pretty awesome with maybe 1 or 2 bad episodes.. Of course, there was a lot of drama behind the scenes that brought this fantastic series to its knees in the end so I dread some of the missteps thata re sure to come. Still, S1 and S2 are easly 9/10 as is S3 so far.

QUINN 4 THA WINN!!!

Sliders started off as a great series. There were a lot of really fun ideas to it and the episodes, and the characters blended together quite nicely. But yes, unfortunately, as time went on things got a little.. weird and convoluted. And it all kind of fell apart.

I watched Sliders again recently and I have to agree, it starts off great but it's just blatantly insulting my intelligence towards the end  :getlost:

What you didn't like the stillsuits, jello shields, hazmat Sardaukar or voice weapons ? :p

Sadly, I think Lynch did less damage than Herbert's actual son.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have to admit, I've got a soft spot for the sci-fi channels mini-series adaptions of Dune and Children of Dune.

• Like 1

I watched Sliders again recently and I have to agree, it starts off great but it's just blatantly insulting my intelligence towards the end :getlost:

Once David Peckinpah got ahold of the show and it went from "what if this happened" to "what kind of crazy stuff can we do" it all went downhill. Zombie episode and wizards and dragons episode are prime examples.

I wish someone would reboot the series. We need some good alternate history stuff on tv.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I watched Dune last night, after reading the book I found it utterly infuriating, the sheer incompetence of some scenes had me staring at the screen slackjawed, there were a few cool moments but it was mostly gibberish, this is one movie that deserves a remake.

Which Dune? The movie or that mini-series? The mini-series was slightly better than the film but the film had Sting in green plastic undies, so it's kind of a toss up.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Which Dune? The movie or that mini-series? The mini-series was slightly better than the film but the film had Sting in green plastic undies, so it's kind of a toss up.

The David Lynch movie, as an adaptation it made my brain scream but it wasn't the worst film I've ever seen, the visuals kept me watching at least...Sting not included  :p

Yeah, the film was terrible in terms of the book. At this point in my life I mostly like it for lulz. Including Patrick Stewart's tiny role. "You young pup! You young pup!"

It's too bad, because at the time I remember thinking Prochnaw would be a great Leto. But even today I still can't really see how one could do a film based on the book and have it seem any good. There are too many things in the book that I don't think translate to visual medium without seeming either too confusing or too corny. eg, I didn't like the "folding space" sequence in any version.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'd only want it to come back if O'Connell is there. And, I doubt that will happen.

The one I'd most want to come back is John Rhys Davies. Generic Boy Genius can be played by anyone. JRD is anything but generic.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

"Generic Boy Genius can be played by anyone."

They tried that in S5. FAIL.

Davis is a good actor but he is mostly one note (and what a note that is). he also seems to be typecast in the 'wise older Brit gentleman'. O'Connell has done different hings since leaving Sliders.

Plus, Quinn wouldn't be a 'boy genius' now if it was a continuation not a restart... he should be in his mid 30s by now. L0L

Still, ideally, I'd want the 5 main one sback if possible (the 4 original + Maggie). I don't know mind O'Connell's brother but iin small doses. 'Reborn Quinn'? Hell to the no. The black chick was alright but she was only the last season so no biggies.

I gave Sliders a chance.  But every episode I tried to watch had Rembrandt singing, which immediately made me switch the channel.

I loved the Lorne Green character on Angel, but gawd did I hate the musical numbers.

My inlaws made us watch an episode of Shameless while we were on holiday.  I might give it a look see.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

"But every episode I tried to watch had Rembrandt singing,"

That's weird. He doesn't sing that often. Maybe you watched a later season. I don't think I watched much of S5 so maybe it was that one. And, most epis he does sing it is very brief.

Just watched the epidsode where the professor is killed. The actors - espciially Davis - do very well with it but such a waste. Espciially b/c it happened only b/c of stupid behind the scene drama and not for story or plot reasons.

It gets only worse from there on.

The David Lynch movie, as an adaptation it made my brain scream but it wasn't the worst film I've ever seen, the visuals kept me watching at least...Sting not included  :p

Lynch did manage to capture the atmosphere of Dune universe pretty well, despite the many changes, so I found the movie pretty palatable overall. And some book parts were executed to perfection.

Edited by Drudanae

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It gets only worse from there on.

Lynch did manage to capture the atmosphere of Dune universe pretty well, despite the many changes, so I found the movie pretty palatable overall. And some book parts were executed to perfection.

You're not wrong, many scenes were perfect but then they tear out 30 pages and jump to another scene where the actors clearly don't have a clue what they're doing, it goes on like that right up to the ending, it's a shame.  I started watching the mini-series last night, it seems more faithful to the pace of the books but it lacks Lynch's gravitas, the guild navigator scene was almost as teeth grindingly ridiculous as the movie though  :lol:

The montage sequence in early Children of Dune to the Inama Nushif music was fairly damn excellently placed and executed though...  To me, that music set off the whole thing to close to perfection. The birth of the children along with the cleansing of the house...

http://youtu.be/IGPFB8yR6zk

The lady playing Alia was cute though.  The scene with her being possessed by the Baron was a bit..uh...odd, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just watched the epidsode where the professor is killed. The actors - espciially Davis - do very well with it but such a waste. Espciially b/c it happened only b/c of stupid behind the scene drama and not for story or plot reasons.

And its not like the producers were petty or anything. His character had his brain sucked out, then he was shot, then the planet he was on was blown up.

Same thing happened to the girl who played Wade. Kari Wuhrer got hired and was making more than her, who had been there since day one. She rightfully so demanded a raise, so they sent her character to a Cromag rape camp.

As for earlier, I was thinking more of rebooting the series from the get go rather than restarting it. Or at least doing a new show with a similar premise. Sliders has some nostalgia value though so using the name would likely boost interest initially.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

"Kari Wuhrer got hired and was making more than her, who had been there since day one."

Not quite true. They didn't get along. The Wade actress was paid as much if not more. However, she went to the PTB and told them it was either her or Kari. They chose Kari b/c they they prefered her and she was cheaper. But, ia gree, the bosses were extremely vindictive.

From what I've read its a bit more involved than just money and the ultimatum had some history to it -

Wuher and Lloyd didn't get along.  Wuher supposedly treated the crew poorly; Lloyd was engaged to a crewmember and this led to a Wuher making a comment during a script reading that caused Lloyd to lock herself into her trailer.  This led to a production delay that cost the production money.  Fast foward a year and Sci-Fi had picked up the show and O'Connel and Derricks had both received raises and Lloyd was requesting one too; Sci-Fi was requesting the show return to its roots with 3 guys and 1 gal traveling, the producers pointed Lloyd as the logical choice since she'd cost the previous years production money and was requesting more money for the current year but the final breaking point was indeed Lloyd reportedly giving series producer Peckinpah the ultimatum of "Kari or me".

Note Tracy Torme and Rhys-Davies point to Peckinpah for everything that went wrong with the series

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man