Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

Skyfall -

Well crafted, well acted. I found it somewhat dull in the first half (not because of lack of "action", just felt bored), but became more interesting later as characterizations picked up. That Javier sure can play creepy/weird bad guy. Still...I'm getting a little tired of the mega-brooding, non-smiling Batman-Bond, although Craig is still awesome. Maybe he'll smile more in the next one.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Skyfall -

Well crafted, well acted. I found it somewhat dull in the first half (not because of lack of "action", just felt bored), but became more interesting later as characterizations picked up. That Javier sure can play creepy/weird bad guy. Still...I'm getting a little tired of the mega-brooding, non-smiling Batman-Bond, although Craig is still awesome. Maybe he'll smile more in the next one.

I have to admit, I can't really make up my mind on that one.  It is nicely crafted and nicely acted, but...   While there are some really good sequences in it, the whole thing just doesn't hang together for me to make it a really enjoyable Bond film.

I don't know if it's the overbundance of "hollywood hacking" or the incredibly incompetent paranoia that the good guys have - I mean, they know these machines are hacked and it's absolutely vital for the storyline that they leave them fully connected to the Internal networks for days/weeks after..

The shout outs were both good to see but wince inducing at the same time even as I was amused to see them. It just feels a little bit bizarre.

And the ending left it feeling as if half the point was just to introduce us to  Fiennes character.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

thanks hurshot, I was going to watch it but then a friend of mine said "crap" and then I didn't dare anymore. Now I might just try it.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

thanks hurshot, I was going to watch it but then a friend of mine said "crap" and then I didn't dare anymore. Now I might just try it.

It's kind of a Navy tribute film, so if you like the Navy then it is definitely worth a watch.  

• Like 1

I have just finishing watching War Horse, its brilliant and masterfully directed as it typical of Steven Spielberg.

The one scene you see of the charge across No Mans Land captures accurately the horror, futility and bravery of the battles of the First World War.

Its sad in some parts, a bit of a tear-jerker but I recommend it.

8/10

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sinister - some thriller/horror with Ethan Hawke. I largely chose it because of Ethan Hawke. I suppose he does an ok job, but the movie is pretty laughable. There's a whole lot of scenes of him doing nothing but sitting in a chair while watching snippets of super8 movies (and his reaction shots), which becomes a snooze. However, if I'd seen this film when I was 12-13 or something, the last 20 minutes or so might've been one of those bits that sinks into the psyche a bit.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Obviously not seen yet, but a short article about the potential of the planned Deus Ex film...

http://www.movieweb.com/news/deus-ex-human-revolution-is-a-cyberpunk-movie-says-writer-c-robert-cargill

Back in November, CBS Films confirmed that Sinister director Scott Derrickson will direct the video game adaptation Deus Ex: Human Revolution from a script he co-wrote with C. Robert Cargill. The project is based on Square Enix's successful video game of the same name, although screenwriter C. Robert Cargill recently made it clear that they are trying to ditch the stigma of a video game adaptation. Here's what the writer had to say, revealing they intend to make more of a "cyberpunk" movie.

"Yeah, the chief philosophy is we're not making a video game movie, we're making a cyberpunk movie. We've taken a look at what's worked in video games and what hasn't, and really what we've broken down is what we think the audience really wants, [what] the audience that loves Deus Ex is going to want to see out of a Deus Ex movie. And it's not a rehashing of the game. What they want to see is, they want to see elements of the game that they love, but they want to see things that they hadn't quite seen in the game, that the game didn't allow them to see. So it's really allowed us to expand upon the things that happened in the game, and the game has such a great cinematic story to begin with that those elements are very easy to extract. But really, at its core, we just keep telling each other, 'We're not making a video game movie, we're making a cyberpunk movie.' And Scott and I are such big cyberpunk fans from way back in the day that that just really charges us up. Because that's what's so great about Deus Ex to begin with, is it really gets cyberpunk. I Eidos Montreal really understood the nature of cyberpunk and made 'the' cyberpunk game, and it is just fantastic, and we've just had a great time adapting it."

Director Scott Derrickson also revealed that they recently turned in a draft of their script to the studio, which has been positively received.

"Deus Ex is moving like a rocket. We've turned in a draft of that that everyone seems excited about, and we're very excited about that, and we've got a number of other projects that haven't really been announced that have a lot of momentum also. It's Hollywood, though. I've been doing this a long time, and you just never know what will come together when. There's so many moving parts that have to come together for a movie to get made."

C. Robert Cargill revealed that they are inspired by movies that push the envelope, such as District 9, Looper, and Inception.

"We're trying to break out. We're looking at movies like District 9, Looper, and Inception. Those are the molds of what we've been doing. Let's push this and do something new with concepts people love, but tell a story that they've never seen before, that just melts their brain. And that is just hyperkinetic and smart and just hits all the right buttons that genre audiences want to see. That's what we've gunned for. We haven't tried to build it around Johnny Mnemonic or New Rose Hotel."

Scott Derrickson added that there is a higher degree of difficulty with this project, since there hasn't been a truly great "cyberpunk" movie yet.

"Yeah, cyberpunk is difficult. There's a reason we haven't had a great cyberpunk movie yet. There's a reason why a sci-fi movie as great as Neuromancer has never made it to the screen. I do think there's a new wave coming, and not just because the technology and the effects are up to speed, but I think that there's a sensibility to cyberpunk that the movies are catching up with. That's kind of how we feel. We feel like the science fiction, the reason why we reference Inception, Looper and District 9 was that they were all movies that took certain familiar science fiction methodologies and turned them upside-down and brought a grounded realism to them. Time travel, aliens arriving on Earth, going into the dream world... Those are all things that you've seen a dozen bad versions of, and it dozen decent versions of that. But no one, until those three films, no one had gone into filmmaking from a grounded, realistic point of view and made something with a fresh aesthetic. And I think that there was a little bit of the Blade Runner curse, a little bit of The Matrix curse, where you've got these movies that touch on cyberpunk elements that aren't really cyberpunk films but they are so iconic, and so insurmountable. They're perfect films in their own ways, [but] no one has been able to break free of that, or no one has broken free of that, and tried to go at it completely fresh. I think that we're going to see a wave of them, I predict. I think that cyberpunk is going to break out. There's going to be a new kind of science fiction film, and it will be cyberpunk, and it will be amazing."

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is in development . The film is directed by Scott Derrickson

No mention of the first game, tsk tsk. Good bit of talk, anyway.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well it kind of makes sense. If they do want to turn it into more then one film, if they do a pseudo Human Revolution story first that lays the groundwork for going into the original game/story.

Watched the first episode of the Netflix original series 'House of Cards.' It's a little slow to get going when one is used to faster paced TV, but by the end I liked it quite a bit. And I love Kevin Spacey, so it's awesome to see him in a good role again...since I can't see him in his theater work. Hope to see the other 12 episodes over the next week.

I hadn't heard of the series until yesterday. Interesting to see Netflix going for original programming now, and I think it'd be cool if more series were released like that ... all episodes at once, or half at a time. Never did like the weekly format. :p

I watched the US version of LIfe On Mars while on holidays.  I enjoyed it immensely.  Harvey Keitel was absolutely perfect as the chief. 

Has anyone watched the UK version?  Is it any good?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Watched the first episode of the Netflix original series 'House of Cards.' It's a little slow to get going when one is used to faster paced TV, but by the end I liked it quite a bit. And I love Kevin Spacey, so it's awesome to see him in a good role again...since I can't see him in his theater work. Hope to see the other 12 episodes over the next week.

I hadn't heard of the series until yesterday. Interesting to see Netflix going for original programming now, and I think it'd be cool if more series were released like that ... all episodes at once, or half at a time. Never did like the weekly format. :p

The Netflix original series? Dang it, it's another one that was done in the UK yeeeaaars ago and someone in the US decided to make their own copy. :p

Me and the missus watched "A spiffing day to die hard" last night, very good overblown action sequences but a little lacking in depth or jocularity.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The Netflix original series? Dang it, it's another one that was done in the UK yeeeaaars ago and someone in the US decided to make their own copy. :p

It's been Americanized, but yup. It's directed by David Fincher and produced by him and Eric Roth, among others.

They haven't turned it into Law and Order style drama, at least. I think it hinges on Kevin Spacey's and Robin Wright's performances, which are quite brilliant. One of Wright's best roles, imo. Not sure I like the breaking of the 4th wall method (ever), but it works ok.

The Bourne Legacy.

It sullied the legacy of the Bourne movies.

Really?  I thought it was a solid addition to the universe.  Jason's story is clearly finished, so it is good to move on and Jeremy Renner is a compelling choice.  I thought it was incomplete, as in the ending left too many things undone, but I assume that will be addressed in future films. 

I didn't have a big problem with his performance but it felt like a cashgrab to me. The movie can't compare to the original thrilogy in my opinion. No really exciting moments, sure the motorcycle chase was actiony but not that interesting. I was bored through most of the movie and when the ending came along, I was like "WTF?". I liked some parts of the movie, like when he's in the cabin. You weren't sure what was going to happen and I liked that. The rest was standard fare. The movie felt more "safe" than really bad. A disappointment for me, but I had heard from a couple of friends that it was an average movie.

Men in Black 3 - I watched it in the RV with my kids crawling all over me, but I thought it had some great moments.  It was a very good addition to the franchise.

Lockout - Think Escape from New York but on a space station.  Guy Pearce was pretty entertaining.  Not a great film but a pretty watchable B action movie.

I have to say, I think a Good Day to Die Hard has to rate as the worst of the Die Hard movies so far. I mean, the opening and what turns into a half-hour extended chase sequence through Moscow traffic before the plot really gets rolling. A couple of over-noisy mass gunfights that pull along with fragments of angsty father-son dynamic.

I mean, I know part of the Die Hard idea is John McClane in a certain "fish out of water" experience usually. Cynical Cop in a White Collar High Rise building, Cynical cop stuck on an airport, cynical cop being run-around by a mastermind, cynical cop struggling with the digital age...  But cynical cop stuck in Moscow with a secret agent son just doesn't seem to get the traction.

They don't seem to push the one-liners that provided some amusement, and (to potentially spoil it), they can't seem to make up their mind on who the villain is. And even then, it just..there is no real villainous presence to banter again.  What's a Die Hard film without McClane vs Villain banter?

Ah, Argo's stirring up the usual Canadian butthurt about Americans - http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2013/02/23/argo-taylor-oscars.html

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ah, Argo's stirring up the usual Canadian butthurt about Americans - http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2013/02/23/argo-taylor-oscars.html

Actually it sounds like Ken Taylor has a legitimate complaint, given that even President Carter questioned the direction of the film.  I get that it is simply a movie, and Affleck is the star so he is going to get most of the play, but it rubs me the wrong way when they distort the history.

Yep, thought this was settled when it showed at TIFF, I guess Taylor is still sore about or needs fame or something, not sure why it back up again.  In any event, they shortchange some Canadians out of credit in a popular film. I expect as much but Canadians must cry about something so..

Been watching the series Sliders. Now, into S3, and it's pretty awesome with maybe 1 or 2 bad episodes.. Of course, there was a lot of drama behind the scenes that brought this fantastic series to its knees in the end so I dread some of the missteps thata re sure to come. Still, S1 and S2 are easly 9/10 as is S3 so far.

QUINN 4 THA WINN!!!

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.