Update #20: Lore Tidbits, Campaign Almanac, Big Ol' Stretch Goals, and... Environment Screenshot!

3.5 million is possible and realistic, here's why:

Planetary Annihilation's trend 5 days before it finished was about 1.9 million.

Using stretch goals, Uber was able to up the trend to 2.2 million in 5 days.

Project Eternity has 5 days left and its trend is currently at 3.1 million.

If we assume the same relative growth for PE, we can expect PE's final trend to end up at (2.2/1.9)*3.1 = 3.6 million!

Fingers crossed :)

It's possible, but not likely. PE would have to outdo Double Fine's last 5 days NOW, and PE doesn't have a full 5 days left.

I wish they could raise $5million... but it's going to be lucky to reach much above $3 million.

Edited by Merin

3.5 million is possible and realistic, here's why:

Planetary Annihilation's trend 5 days before it finished was about 1.9 million.

Using stretch goals, Uber was able to up the trend to 2.2 million in 5 days.

Project Eternity has 5 days left and its trend is currently at 3.1 million.

If we assume the same relative growth for PE, we can expect PE's final trend to end up at (2.2/1.9)*3.1 = 3.6 million!

Fingers crossed :)

It's possible, but not likely. PE would have to outdo Double Fine's last 5 days NOW, and PE doesn't have a full 5 days left.

I wish they could raise $5million... but it's going to be lucky to reach much above $3 million.

Actually PE has 5 days and 1 hour left.

I guess my only concern re the two big cities would be if 80% of the content or something ended up being based in those 2 places. I'm all for the second city, but I really want there to be loads of fairly random wilderness areas to explore a la BG1 and I wouldn't want these to disappear as a result of promising the second huge settlement.

This. I prefer wilderness and forests as well so I hope the bulk of the game consists of such areas.

This screenshot is magnificent, however it leaves certain technical details in the air:

- How much of it is actually animated? If this waterfall and river are completely static it won't be very convincing.

- Shall we take the availability of the screenshot in 2560x1440 as a sign the backgrounds are rendered for that resolution and will be dynamically downscaled for lower ones? (please say yes)

- It's hard to tell if this render uses an orthographic or perspective projection, which one is it? Which one will be used for the game? I would assume orthographic, but 2d games have faked perspective in the past, i.e. Diablo 2.

- Is the point of view representative of what will be used in the game, in terms of camera angle and altitude?

We're trying out various animation solutions for the waterfall, spray, and the pool/river. They will definitely be animated, but we want to leave our options open to support a wide range of hardware without making the area art files even larger.

We are rendering the maps out at high resolution and we will be supporting some method of downscaling for lower end machines.

It's an orthographic projection. The angle and height are something we are trying out, but we will continue to experiment on this map and others. Because our character models are 3D, what we use on exterior maps does not need to be the same view we use on interior maps.

• Like 7

*sigh* I'm seriously considering pumping more money in by pledging for a few more add-ons. On the one hand, I feel like I've done my part, but on the other hand, if I can do more, I feel like I should. I'm really not much of a spendthrift. I usually don't spend all that much on entertainment. I'm sure I'll get something more in the next five days, but what that something will be I just don't know. I'm inclined towards digital owing to the idea that it won't require them to ship more. Of course, they have to ship already, so maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea. Then again, I could also just come and pick up my physical swag. I don't like the idea of bugging these guys while they're working, but I *am* local and I know where the offices are located. lol Of all the real life drama I have going, I'm really agonizing over this Kickstarter.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Great update, love what I see and like what I read.

I'm rather hopeful we'll reach 3M for sure.

This screenshot is magnificent, however it leaves certain technical details in the air:

[DETAILS]

As a mere fan I'm obviously qualified to answer your questions!

- It *will* be animated! The river and waterfall at the least, I'm not sure if they'll be cyclic 2D animations or effects created by the engine, though. Different maps will have different animations and lights and stuff too!

- I hope the backgrounds are actually bigger than that, and yes the'll be downscaled and/or "zoomed in" depending your preferred screen resolution.

- I guess orthographic?

- Of course! That's *exactly* what we'll be seeing!

EDIT: I was J.E. Sawyed.

Edited by Tychoxi

@Cantousent

I cancelled all my pre-orders and made a personal commitment to not order any more games in the next year to cover my pledge. I have a large backlog to get through anyway (of course, I still want to go back and replay BG series again and IWD). I just 'restructured' my entertainment allowance. I have confidence Obz will produce something worthy of the initial outlay of cash.

• Like 7

I have to be honest and say I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping for visually the same style of game as NWN2 with the ability to rotate your camera and even zoom right into your main character's POV.

That said, I'm still looking forward to this, I've loved all of the Obsidian games I've played, and so I'm going to triple my backing, maybe even hit the 500 if I get paid in time. I also think that we will reach 3.5 million without too much problem.

Just a few questions, sorry if they've already been answered!

1- Will the paypal money be added to the kickstarter total and put towards the goals?

2- Will money raised via paypal after the kickstarter deadline be put towards the goals?

3- Will there be any smaller stretch goals added in between the 3m and 3.5m mark? I mean I can't believe it costs .5 million just to make a second city. Its not like your first big city was going to consume half of your initial budget was it?

I have to be honest and say I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping for visually the same style of game as NWN2 with the ability to rotate your camera and even zoom right into your main character's POV.

You.... really did not pay attention to the Kickstarter page, the video, any of the forum discussions on camera, none of the articles? Wow. That's hard. :p Congrats, I think.

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

You.... really did not pay attention to the Kickstarter page, the video, any of the forum discussions on camera, none of the articles? Wow. That's hard. :p Congrats, I think.

Didn't watch the video, which I'm well aware I probably should have! I pledged two days ago and literally just joined the forum so haven't read anything. Been working abroad and as soon as I came across the kickstarter page I didn't think twice! Regardless, I'm more hooked by lore than anything and it seems interesting to say the least, so I'm all in.

That said, I'm still looking forward to this, I've loved all of the Obsidian games I've played, and so I'm going to triple my backing, maybe even hit the 500 if I get paid in time. I also think that we will reach 3.5 million without too much problem.

Just a few questions, sorry if they've already been answered!

1- Will the paypal money be added to the kickstarter total and put towards the goals?

2- Will money raised via paypal after the kickstarter deadline be put towards the goals?

3- Will there be any smaller stretch goals added in between the 3m and 3.5m mark? I mean I can't believe it costs .5 million just to make a second city. Its not like your first big city was going to consume half of your initial budget was it?

1) Paypal does go to the stretch goals at the end of the Kickstarter.

2) I don't know.

3) The city at 1.1 probably wasn't that big. The entire game is larger than it would have been at the base level of funding. That means more is going to be spent on the main city now than at that base level. And I suspect they want to match that new size. Second, stretch goals are not a budget. Just because it's a 0.5 million stretch doesn't mean they're budging that one feature in that entire stretch. The entire game gets larger along the way.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hmm... i much much rather had that 3.5M goal as the 3M goal :/ I don't know how exited I am for a stronghold but a big city is always nice.

The screen looks nice, but the proportions seem a little off. Isn't that boat and fireplace a little small?

@kensei

All the money collected goes to the goals, although I don't think they've discussed the money that will come in after the Kickstarter closes (it would be reasonable to assume it would).

There will be no more stretch goals according to Feargus (see the Comment section of the Kickstarter page).

It's great of you to pledge at $500. Have you played the old I.E. games? The screenshot is very reminescent of the old games (with a fresh new look).

Edit - Handled by Tale. My typing skills must be deteriorating. ;(

Edited by SqueakyCat

1) Paypal does go to the stretch goals at the end of the Kickstarter.

2) I don't know.

3) The city at 1.1 probably wasn't that big. The entire game is larger than it would have been at the base level of funding. That means more is going to be spent on the main city now than at that base level. And I suspect they want to match that new size. Second, stretch goals are not a budget. Just because it's a 0.5 million stretch doesn't mean they're budging that one feature in that entire stretch. The entire game gets larger along the way.

Awesome, thanks for the response, and the clarification on the third one. I've pretty much set my mind on the 500 pledge in the past 20 minutes. Now I'm off to read all the stuff I've missed!

Hmm... i much much rather had that 3.5M goal as the 3M goal :/ I don't know how exited I am for a stronghold but a big city is always nice.

The screen looks nice, but the proportions seem a little off. Isn't that boat and fireplace a little small?

I may be wrong, but if its anything like the stronghold in NWN2, then its definitely worthwhile. Arguably my favourite part of the game was building up my fort in preparation for the final battle, and double checking every dungeon, cave, cavern etc in the search of ore deposits.

Well, the good thing is that we've already got the paladins and Chanters. I've never been much of a bard fan in DnD, but I am a *huge* Homer fan, so the Chanter is pretty exciting to me.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Well, a big city would compass many new items, areas who need art (outdoor and indoor), quests, characters, dialogue, maybe even some areas just beyond or besides the city border.

I can easily see it take 0.5 million.

Also if the first city is as Atkhatla (I probably mistyped that) in Shadows of Amn or the PS:T city (That I cannot recall the name should give you a hint I really should play it again these days), can't you see it taking 50% of the development cost?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Looking at how pledges are going :D I wonder what would happen if on the last day Obsidian posted a short gameplay clip :p

It would be of biblical proportions.

Fire and brimstone, rivers and seas boiling.

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

• Like 3

I've been watching the ticker and if it keeps going at this rate it be 2.7million in by the time I get up tommorrow, maybe before I go to bed. That will be two stretch Goals achieved in one day (if we don't include paypal). The ticker hit 2.6 million this morning and if the current rate continues we could see 2.7 million today too.

With the Paypal donations factored in, it's likely around $2.74-2.76 milion right now. It will easily be over $2.8 by tomorrow morning.

I swear, I'm going to have a heart attack if they keep amazing me like they have during this campaign. Just one piece of awesome news after another.

This update came off as pretty lean. When I saw the term 'the proverbial big guns', I was ready to see a wall of text detailing some big stuff. Besides the detailed write up about the lore and locations, I found the announcement of the Almanac, while it is a great to have item, Josh did not write it in a 'I want to sell it to you' manner. The Player Stronghold is an awesome thing, which I hope we get to have, I was honestly hoping for more details on that, to once again get people excited and up their pledge. This whole update gave me a feeling of rushing through the points, and did not stop long enough to sell the product. As for seeing another city make it into the game, that is awesome, makes me wonder how many cities we got already so far. I am hopeful the devs will flesh out some details in this update another day.

And finally that screenshot is really polished. If the whole game is presented with that level of spit and shine, it will be worth the wait. Will Project Eternity have moving, realistic water?

• Like 1