When playing Baldur's Gate a situation came up and I had to stop playing for a while, so I used the journal to try and remind myself that Thaerom was making me some Ankheg Armor. Months later and not only had I forgotten about the whole thing, but I'd only remember towards the game's end - only to discover Thaerom was bugged and the Ankheg shell was lost forever (he would never finish his work).

That aside, I don't see why not include the feature.

I don't get it Tamerlane.

But your map picture provided gives me further ideas for the Journalist~, markers on the map, different kinds (Maybe a skull for a dangerous area, a black inkblob or something for an un-explored area and so on and so forth). I would love to be able to draw on the map too but I've heard that is really advanced programming so maybe not. Being able to write in the journal+markers on the map are two important features to me. Either for.

A nice feature to have in the game, but there's always Notepad and/or pen and paper.

• 4 weeks later...

Writing in a journal is not journalism. There will be no journalism in PE as the infernal machine does not exist in PE's world.

Speak for yourself, I plan to record all my experiences with those natives and publish it.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Writing in a journal is not journalism. There will be no journalism in PE as the infernal machine does not exist in PE's world.

Speak for yourself, I plan to record all my experiences with those natives and publish it.

What, we got ourselves a nerdy version of Hunter Thompson?

Would be an entertaining read if someone with enough skill actually did this. :yes:

How are you going to publish it without a printing press? Obsidian has specifically noted that the aforementioned machine does not exist in the world of PE.

Journalism requires mass media to exist. They didn't have newspapers or pamphlets in the time of scribes and quills.

Edited by AGX-17

We have magic don't we? How about telephized propaganda.

Television - telepathy?

I'll find my own way out.

That's just creepy, I was just thinking having a bunch of chinese mages duplicate manuscripts. You know, a printing press.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Writing in journals is for suckers.

(Removed picture to not use taht much space to post the same picture again)

Giving us the possibility to do like in Ultima Underworld would be awesome. I am all for being able to write in journals/maps whatever. I use it every time I play Ultima Underworld, but only rarliy in BG.

How are you going to publish it without a printing press? Obsidian has specifically noted that the aforementioned machine does not exist in the world of PE.

Journalism requires mass media to exist. They didn't have newspapers or pamphlets in the time of scribes and quills.

We have magic don't we? How about telephized propaganda.

Television - telepathy?

I'll find my own way out.

That's just creepy, I was just thinking having a bunch of chinese mages duplicate manuscripts. You know, a printing press.

^This. I'll get a Real Estate Business, get some Chinese Slave Wizards and let them duplicate, fabricate and spreadicate my news all over the world of P:E. "Copy+Paste" Spell.

Or better, Mirror Image :p

Title of thread is "Journalism" I know but it's just wordplay really. I made it for discussion about "The Journal of the Hero".

Also, more research for more of you (who maybe do not know or understand what Journalism is).

Journalism definition as well.

Edited by Osvir

Nah, I knew what you meant Osvir, just had to make a bad joke.

In terms of the journal, I have little to add to what others have already suggested. I would like a margin to make notes, one for each quest would be nice, as well as the quest-independant one. Map markers are fantastic too.