Update #18: George Ziets, Paladins, Add-Ons, Rewards, and More!

I've been pestering Josh about getting a leader archetype in the game for quite a while. I'm a really big fan of the 3.5 D&D Marshal. The Warlord in 4E was based off this class as well. When we started discussing a kind of Marshal/Paladin mix for a class I got pretty excited. PE's Paladin will be a very fun class to play.

So am I reading the description correctly that the PE paladin's skills may be centered AoE? Possibly both offensive/defensive/heal? Because that sounds all sorts of cool to me...

I played a Marshal class in my PnP group. I hated the group, even though one of the people is a close friend, but, if i'm not too far gone to remember it right, I loved the marshal. The Marshal gave huge benefits to his party members. I could carry a tower shield and grant +3 AC to everyone. I could improve hit bonuses, saves, or any number of things depending on what I chose for my minor and major auras. Taking some innocuous sounding feats made it so that I really made it far far more likely for my companions to hit or damage the enemy. Great times. Of course, my group was all about home brewed rules and other things that made every character uber, and I'm not in junior high any more. I want to earn my victories. Hell, there was some Kobold dragonkin character (and the DM didn't use ECLs) who had something like 8 attacks at seventh level or something. I don't need anyof that puerile bull****. Thow in pointy hats, high pitched elf voices (and I played an elf), and silence during battles and you have a snapshot of my group. I want beer (or wine or cognac), pretzels, and a healthy dose of jokes and then it will be a great gaming group.
  • Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I've been pestering Josh about getting a leader archetype in the game for quite a while. I'm a really big fan of the 3.5 D&D Marshal. The Warlord in 4E was based off this class as well. When we started discussing a kind of Marshal/Paladin mix for a class I got pretty excited. PE's Paladin will be a very fun class to play.

So am I reading the description correctly that the PE paladin's skills may be centered AoE? Possibly both offensive/defensive/heal? Because that sounds all sorts of cool to me...

Of course the balancing of classes is subject to change, but this is what Josh and I discussed last night. In a nutshell: Party Buffs/Centered AOE DPS/Self Healing/Good Martial Ability.

Party buffs will be the Paladin's commands. The centered AOE DPS will most likely take the form of a soul-based, short-range (or centered) AOE, and the ability to heal himself/herself. This is above and beyond the Paladin's martial skill, which will be good, but not as good as the Fighter or the Barbarian. Of course, the player will be able to tailor their Paladin to suit their playstyle should they wish to enhance/specialize certain aspects of the class.

• Like 2

Rather... intoxicating update. If these stretch goals are reached, everythings fine in the kingdom....

But, since the mega dungeon digged deeper, I can only wonder who deep it actually is? Half-way of tickling the worlds core? In the depth of an regular mine?

Dude, I can see my own soul.....

The use of redundant imagery and epithets in Homeric epic poetry was what I thought Obsidz had in mind when they described Chanters use of well established snippets of ancient poetry. Seriously, the Chanter is a bard ol skool style.

Yes. Say "swift-footed Achilles" to the spirit world three times and everyone is hasted.

... and can be killed by a mere arrow in the knee heel.

How cunning! :biggrin:

I like the idea of hiring especially talented people to help out with the game as a stretch goal.

On that note: Why not make a musical expert an extra stretch goal? Maybe Jeremy Soule (Guild Wars 1, expansions, and 2) or Jack Wall (ME 1 and 2)? Music is incredibly effective to create atmosphere and can be used with great effect in Trailers to market the game.

As far as playable classes go, I think the game will have enough with The Paladins and Chanters. I´d like you to add more storylines, areas, races and more great people to work on the game (eventhough your current crew is already extraordinarily strong).

I think Project Eternity can really prove (and already has), that gamers want RPGs like this!

Made an account just to say how happy i am with the new stretchgoals, especially the paladin one.

I usually have to play Lawful Good fighters with high charisma and so on, just because i don't like feeling so restricted by the religous dogmas that paladins usually have to contend with.

So this is great news for me, Go Obsidian!

I like the idea of hiring especially talented people to help out with the game as a stretch goal.

On that note: Why not make a musical expert an extra stretch goal? Maybe Jeremy Soule (Guild Wars 1, expansions, and 2) or Jack Wall (ME 1 and 2)? Music is incredibly effective to create atmosphere and can be used with great effect in Trailers to market the game.

As far as playable classes go, I think the game will have enough with The Paladins and Chanters. I´d like you to add more storylines, areas, races and more great people to work on the game (eventhough your current crew is already extraordinarily strong).

I think Project Eternity can really prove (and already has), that gamers want RPGs like this!

Jeremy Soule would be expensive to hire, and personally I believe you could get someone else to compose more fitting music anyway. Justin Bell composed some nice tracks already... maybe he could collaborate with Ben Houge or Michael Hoenig?

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

They said somewhere that they prefer not to create a companion for each class. They prefer to concentrate to a smaller number to create very interesting and in depth companions.

That does make a lot of sense from a resources standpoint. They can always add one or two more companions with the expansion pack.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

They said somewhere that they prefer not to create a companion for each class. They prefer to concentrate to a smaller number to create very interesting and in depth companions.

I think Sawyer said that was one of the motivations behind the Adventurer's Hall. It lets the player try out all the classes without needing a companion for each.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I have to wait until THURSDAY to see the screenshot?! T_T

It better be a super amazing screenshot, srsly.

I really hope the game will have a look and feel less cartoonish that Wasteland 2.

I still like wateland 2 graphics, mind you, but I'd like something more.

• Like 1

Argh you guys are killing me yknow? I've increased my pledge, so what am I supposed to eat next month? Now that the writing team will reach 'touched-by-the-finger-of-God' levels at USD2.8m, I'd really love to see that talent at play in a second city as a new stretch goal. That, an expanded soundtrack and the expansion of the novella to a full length novel will have me starving to death before my next paycheque arrives.

Snarkmaster of the Obsidian Order and Planescape junkie!

The Obsidian Order wants you!