Update #18: George Ziets, Paladins, Add-Ons, Rewards, and More!

So, how long 'till the next update? I really want to see that screenie!

As far as I know we'll see the screenshot on Thursday. From the Kickstarter comments:

To be honest, the update for tomorrow is going to be something of a "maintenance update". We are going to list out all the tiers in text, so everyone has a reference. We can then update that update, to keep it current. We will have a couple more things to update in there as well - but it won't be a momentous update. Thursday will be BIG!

So, how long 'till the next update? I really want to see that screenie!

As far as I know we'll see the screenshot on Thursday. From the Kickstarter comments:

To be honest, the update for tomorrow is going to be something of a "maintenance update". We are going to list out all the tiers in text, so everyone has a reference. We can then update that update, to keep it current. We will have a couple more things to update in there as well - but it won't be a momentous update. Thursday will be BIG!

Lol, I thought it was Thursday today. :facepalm: Need to leave my mother's basement more often.

I'm curious to know how differently these classes will play. With eleven it seems like it will be a challenge to make them feel unique. I've seen games provide different skill trees for classes that essentially amount to the same effect with a different name.

But there are so many more possibilities than standard heals, buffs, damage, and summons. I hope Obsidian will take the opportunity to try some really interesting things!

I've been pestering Josh about getting a leader archetype in the game for quite a while. I'm a really big fan of the 3.5 D&D Marshal. The Warlord in 4E was based off this class as well. When we started discussing a kind of Marshal/Paladin mix for a class I got pretty excited. PE's Paladin will be a very fun class to play.

So am I reading the description correctly that the PE paladin's skills may be centered AoE? Possibly both offensive/defensive/heal? Because that sounds all sorts of cool to me...

Of course the balancing of classes is subject to change, but this is what Josh and I discussed last night. In a nutshell: Party Buffs/Centered AOE DPS/Self Healing/Good Martial Ability.

Party buffs will be the Paladin's commands. The centered AOE DPS will most likely take the form of a soul-based, short-range (or centered) AOE, and the ability to heal himself/herself. This is above and beyond the Paladin's martial skill, which will be good, but not as good as the Fighter or the Barbarian. Of course, the player will be able to tailor their Paladin to suit their playstyle should they wish to enhance/specialize certain aspects of the class.

I suggest you avoid using the term 'DPS' in the future. It carries certain negative connotations.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 2

I've been pestering Josh about getting a leader archetype in the game for quite a while. I'm a really big fan of the 3.5 D&D Marshal. The Warlord in 4E was based off this class as well. When we started discussing a kind of Marshal/Paladin mix for a class I got pretty excited. PE's Paladin will be a very fun class to play.

So am I reading the description correctly that the PE paladin's skills may be centered AoE? Possibly both offensive/defensive/heal? Because that sounds all sorts of cool to me...

Of course the balancing of classes is subject to change, but this is what Josh and I discussed last night. In a nutshell: Party Buffs/Centered AOE DPS/Self Healing/Good Martial Ability.

Party buffs will be the Paladin's commands. The centered AOE DPS will most likely take the form of a soul-based, short-range (or centered) AOE, and the ability to heal himself/herself. This is above and beyond the Paladin's martial skill, which will be good, but not as good as the Fighter or the Barbarian. Of course, the player will be able to tailor their Paladin to suit their playstyle should they wish to enhance/specialize certain aspects of the class.

I suggest you avoid using the term 'DPS' in the future. It carries certain negative connotations.

If I may add as a example: such as designing combat over steady damage thus inflating health pools and creating fake depht, which sounds counter intuitive given your dual hitpoint system.

• Like 3

Ha, I wrote that kind of late last night. I use the term DPS as synonymous with high overall damage (in this case increased because it is an AOE) when talking to other designers, even though said damage is not being calculated on a Damage Per Second basis. Just force of habit. So a high damage, area of effect, in a small radius, is what I meant.

• Like 6

I have to wait until THURSDAY to see the screenshot?! T_T

It better be a super amazing screenshot, srsly.

I just gawked at the final a few minutes ago. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Looks super amazing, srsly.

So... different resolutions for desktop wallpaper I hope? :Cant's sly grin icon: The Cthulu zombie pic is my current desktop, but I'm jonesin' for something from in-game.

EDIT: Oops. I'm an idiot. It's a screen shot so it will be in whatever res you have it at the time. :Cant's sheepish smile icon:

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Ha, I wrote that kind of late last night. I use the term DPS as synonymous with high overall damage (in this case increased because it is an AOE) when talking to other designers, even though said damage is not being calculated on a Damage Per Second basis. Just force of habit. So a high damage, area of effect, in a small radius, is what I meant.

Which is a relief. Though it already felt like the actual connotation wasn't what you were aiming for.

Anyway, would anyone clarify what 'centered AoE' means? Is that a radius centered on caster?

Edited by Delterius
  • Like 1

I'm interested to see if the Chanters are put into the game. I've always been a fan of Bards. I like the idea of a storyteller becoming entrenched in events that may become legends themselves. I like how bards function in some games, because they make great support characters, I wonder the Chanter would be as the main character and if they mesh well with the other classes. Hope they make it into the game.

I'm interested to see if the Chanters are put into the game. I've always been a fan of Bards. I like the idea of a storyteller becoming entrenched in events that may become legends themselves. I like how bards function in some games, because they make great support characters, I wonder the Chanter would be as the main character and if they mesh well with the other classes. Hope they make it into the game.

I'm excited by the idea too. For some reason I find myself imagining almost a rap-type flow, with a Chanter spontaneously improvising by stringing established phrasing in new ways.

Really happy to see the 2,8 done and Ziets in the team. 3 million seems very likely now too, which I didn't expected anymore, to be honest.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."