Baldur's Gate enhanced edition

Dezloc

All in all, a fair bit amount of work for what's possible...and some of it is just not realistically possible. That was probably more than you wanted to know, though. :p

Not at all, that was good. I was wondering if the EE game still used the core assets; and whether Bam-workshop or any of the Team-BG tools would work on it. If it can be done, I expect that it might be; BG1 can run in BG tutu and effectively be BG1 campaign in BG2's engine. Edited by Gizmo

All in all, a fair bit amount of work for what's possible...and some of it is just not realistically possible. That was probably more than you wanted to know, though. :p

Not at all, that was good. I was wondering if the EE game still used the core assets; and whether Bam-workshop or any of the Team-X tools would work on it. If it can be done, I expect that it might be; BG1 can run in BG tutu and effectively be BG1 campaign in BG2's engine.

Yes...but the core assets - i.e. areas - were updated to be used with BG2:ToB's engine, similar to what Baldur's Gate Trilogy does, (I have no idea about TuTu - never used it - but I imagine it's probably similar). I'm not so sure, however, that there's a process for bringing BG2-type assets back into form with the BG1 engine - there might be a mod that brings the new assets to BGT or maybe TuTu, but I wouldn't exactly count on it, given that at least two of the most major BG(T) modders, Ascension64 of ToBEx/BGT and DavidW of SCS, will, as far as I understand, be mostly working on BG(2):EE [mod compatibility], especially in the coming months. Have no idea about BAM-Workshop, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1. I can alt-tab just fine. Sucks that you can't, though. :(

2. That sounds like a script problem. So...firstly, is party scripting enabled? If so, have you tried assigning her a mage script? Have not had the problem you've had at all, but I don't use character scripts, so...(soloing with a multiclass Mage/Thief, for the record).

Interesting that you can Alt-Tab out of a Fullscreen game and see apps. Some people on the BG forums are experiencing similar problems with me. The apps for me are always behind the game. I never have scripts enabled. Never needed to use them in the original. Dynaheir only did it once so maybe it was a one off thing.

That's most of the problems I've encountered off the top of my head and I'm not even up to the Bandit Camp as I've been doing all the side quests.

Also, not really a problem and don't know if it's a bug but Dynaheir can lean Flame Arrow now. In the original game, she couldn't. Maybe they changed the spell in BG2 and because the game is accessing the BG2 engine, it's why Dynaheir can now learn Flame Arrow? I don't know. As I said, not really a problem and another spell she can learn now.

EDIT: Okay, now I know why I can't Alt-Tab out. I'm using dual monitors.. It's a bug that's been reported on the BG forums.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

So it's been out for a week now. Considering the [insert adjective] release, how they have handled the project and which aspects of the game they chose to enhance / replace, how do you guys feel about them moving on to "enhance" BG2 next? Their contract was for both games so, unless some unforeseen factor alters that contract and / or their plans, BG2:EE will be their next step. It's a much bigger game, it's a much more complex game, and it is widely considered one of the best, if not the best, CRPG's of all time.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

So it's been out for a week now. Considering the [insert adjective] release, how they have handled the project and which aspects of the game they chose to enhance / replace, how do you guys feel about them moving on to "enhance" BG2 next? Their contract was for both games so, unless some unforeseen factor alters that contract and / or their plans, BG2:EE will be their next step. It's a much bigger game, it's a much more complex game, and it is widely considered one of the best, if not the best, CRPG's of all time.

For me the proof is in the pudding. Lets see how they do with fixing BG:EE and then I can make an assessment of whether they are will be able to handle BG2:EE

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Fair enough. I'm skeptical -- and that's a putting it mildly -- but won't lose any sleep over it either. I still very much enjoy the originals and actually like the modding process because it allows me to tailor these games to my personal tastes / eccentricities, so I don't think I'm their target audience anyway. That said, I would like to see the games receive the enhanced editions that they deserve and only time will tell if Overhaul will deliver in that regard.

My Backloggery

I'd say it's too early to think about it, and I hope that BGEE will do well enough for them to be able to fund their BG2EE project better. Obviously this one was run pretty shoe-string.

But, yes, a lot depends on what happens with BGEE in the few following months.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Patch released:

http://forum.baldurs...2-build-2009/p1

The maximum frame rate can be edited right in-game now.

FTR, what's supposed to happen is that a few are supposed to continue working on BG1, while the rest go onto BG2. They are trying, so...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Patch released:

FTR, what's supposed to happen is that a few are supposed to continue working on BG1, while the rest go onto BG2. They are trying, so...

Hmmm.. Well consider it bought, as soon as the release it on GoG.

(*But I wonder if GoG would want to release it? It directly competes with them selling the standard versions.)

Edited by Gizmo

Patch released:

(*But I wonder if GoG would want to release it? It directly competes with them selling the standard versions.)

It doesn't matter whether GoG wants it or not, Overhaul's deal with Atari allows them to sell it on one store/platform, in this case, their own. You realise you can get the game without their client?

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Patch released:

It is unlikely to be released on GoG...at least, any time soon. Perhaps a while after BG2:EE is released...but even then, it seems unlikely, given that GoG is selling the standard versions of the game. Seems more likely that it would be on Steam than anything else.

Edited by Bartimaeus

I don't see any reason why GoG wouldn't distribute it along side other versions...

Edit: Apparently due to contract obligations it won't be released on steam or gog.com

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

As a distributor, I doubt that GoG would give two craps about selling the Enhanced Edition.

This would sort of be like Walmart hesitating to stock Pepsi because it might affect their Coca-Cola sales.

That said, it's not up to GoG.

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 1

Priceless :cat:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Priceless :cat:

Those cats are adorable, there are more cat pictures on the BG:EE official forums

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's part of this whole cat-focused internet sub culture thing. There is an inherent cuteness / amusement factor to cats doing random things and the way they look while doing them that some people are, let's say, extra sensitive to. It's OK if you don't get it.

That said, I found it amusing :grin:

My Backloggery

Found out on the BG forums that the reason why places like the Gnoll Stronghold, Xvart Village, Firewine Ruins and generally all monsters you come across in open areas have been dramatically reduced because it seems the modders knew about this and wanted it that way. Gnoll Stronghold is pretty much abandoned and you only see Gnolls where the open pits are when rescuing Dynaheir.

Run into Four Black Talon Elite guards in Peldvale? No, you only get to fight against one now. Because the game has less monsters, you absolutely breeze through it. It feels like there's no challenge because you had to fight your way through so many monsters in the original. Now, you can just walk all the way through places like the Gnoll Stronghold and there's no one around. :blink:

Also, less monsters = less xp which has made me do all the side quests to get my xp up.

Thread and Quote from one of the modders below:

http://forum.baldurs...d-for-review/p1

Yes, the tone down was intentional. But i think it could be raised for very hard difficulty.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

And here's a quote from the devs regarding the issue:

Just going to quickly submit an update here despite the thread being closed:

For those waiting with bated breath' date=' we figured out what went wrong here. Yes, there was an introduced bug, due to differences in the way the math was handled for the scaling/spawning system from BG1 to BG2. We attempted to make the BG1 maps use the BG2 system, but, when it came to this particular aspect we basically didn't go far enough.

Interestingly: in the course of investigation we found out that BG2 doesn't really use the random spawn system the same way that BG1 does. While it fits the style of gameplay in BG2 (sort of a more linear storyline), it's a kind of cool discovery in terms of giving us options for new content.

So: this fix should be present in our next patch. Thanks all involved for bringing it to our attention. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have questions.[/quote']

My thoughts on how character powers and urgency could be implemented:

http://forums.obsidi...nse-of-urgency/

"While it fits the style of gameplay in BG2 (sort of a more linear storyline), it's a kind of cool discovery in terms of giving us options for new content."

Except BG1 has a much more linear storyline.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm sure this is obvious, but they clearly talk about the "open-world" wilderness areas BG2 (happily) lacks.

It's obvious, but this is Volo... It's either an attempt to troll, or he's showing how inanely idiotically stupid he is again. I'd wager he's trolling.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!